1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone tried this to save gas

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by mytoyo2, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Oct 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    Seems to me this practice would use more clutch. In and out to maintain speed vs just leaving it 5th and applying throttle as needed. I don't coast regardless of laws. Been getting around 23 mph overall.

:turtleride:

2. Oct 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    I'm referring to the fact that I use N and apply the brakes to slow down as opposed to downshifting from 5th to 4th to 3rd to...well, you get the idea. :)

3. Oct 18, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    K. That makes sense. Brakes are cheaper than a clutch. I do that. Taught my girlfriends daughter to do that too. She's taken a few miles off my clutch already.

:cheers:

4. Oct 18, 2011 at 1:06 PM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    If you use a wideband you would see that leaving it in gear will make your engine go lean (saves gas) as apposed to leaving it in neutral where your A/R's would be somewhere around 14:1 a/f at idle in neutral while coasting depending on duty cycle, injector size etc.

5. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    That's what I figured... I don't have an actual scanguage it's a smartphone app but I'm sure it works off the same programming. I usually can get a reading of up to about 160 mpg coasting in neutral vs about 60 same speed if coasting in like 5th. I'll try not neutral coasting for awhile and see what that does.

6. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Yeah, heaven forbid you have power for emergency maneuvering while descending a grade....

It's a law because someone somewhere died because some jacknuts who couldn't control his vehicle slammed through someone else while coasting downhill.

All in all, this is probably a pretty toothless (not to mention, unproveable) law.

7. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    always coast in neutral, 24+ mpg out of my modded truck

8. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    When you have a lot of open road in front of you, or a gentle decline, then coast in N as far as you can. If you're in traffic or there's only a small hill in front of you, then engine brake. If you get really ballsy, you can turn your truck off for long stretches. But I don't really recommend doing that.

9. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM
    mytoyo2

mytoyo2 [OP] Mytoyo2

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    va
    Vehicle:
    08tacoma4x4 5spd 4cyl
    afe cold air intake,tornado fuel miser,body armor front bumper,dual magna flow exhaust,blacked out factory rims and fender flares,baja lights,cooper ATR tires,Gforce,hood scoop,peel n seal bed cover,chrome nerf bars
    im going to continue neutral coasting the roads out here are great 4 it usualy i coast to stop signs since there are so many with short distances between no steep grades

10. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    TROKITA

TROKITA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    so automatic is illegal ???? because every time you let go of the pedal on an automatic it like having it on neutral?????????????? unless you throw it in 2nd or low gear. WE ALL RIDE DIRTY........ BECAUSE COPS FIND WHATEVER REASON TO F%#K YOU UP, EVEN IF ITS 100% STOCK.

11. Oct 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    Auto's don't shift to N when you let off the throttle.

12. Oct 18, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    I coast in reverse because it makes the injectors suck in fuel.

13. Oct 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    if only people were enlightened like us, we wouldn't have these fuel prices.

14. Oct 18, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    TROKITA

TROKITA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arty
    Utah, the valley
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma TRD supercharged
    Supercharged, Custom sunroof, 6 inch lift, wheel spacers, over the rail tire carrier
    i didn't say it shifts to neutral i know it doesn't but im just saying it's alike....... You cant shift down unless you put it to 2nd or low gear :)

15. Oct 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    I do this too? Thats how i was taught

16. Oct 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    ^^^ This is correct. That's why you can still hear the engine, and in some cases it's louder.

Correct, the only way to really have an accurate figure is using a wideband.

I feel the same way...in order to shift to nuetral you have to push in the clutch. If you just leave it in gear, you don't have to use the clutch at all. Regardless of using the clutch or not, you will see almost zero premature clutch wear by doing that. You wear out a clutch but riding the clutch and generating heat. Typical shifting of gears does not create much additional heat on the clutch disc. Starting the vehicle off from a stop creates way more heat on the clutch disc than shifting gears ever will.

I used to have a wide band system in my last vehicle to keep track of my AFR's because I was turbocharged. When coasting down a hill in gear, my wide band readout would display LEAN which means my AFR's were greater than 16:1. When coasting in neutral (essentially idling) my wide band would display my AFR's around 14.7ish (Stoic). This means I was using less fuel by coasting in gear. This was because my injectors were shut off by the ecu when coasting in gear as previously stated 100x.

17. Oct 19, 2011 at 5:34 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    Good god, anybody try going even 35 MPH in 5th with the 2.7? I would guess my truck experiences about a 7.6 vibration on the Richter scale...

18. Oct 19, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Chicken :p

19. Oct 19, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    NO! :D

20. Oct 19, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    For many situations in gear with deceleration fuel cutoff (dfco) you are better off, headed down long grades where you are gonna be braking anyway, coming off the interstate at 80 and slowing down.

But for my normal daily commute there are very few if any times I'm better off coasting in gear vs coasting much much longer in N. The max speed on my commute is a short stretch of 55, and the rest 45 which I can do in 5th gear. At those speeds I'm at the rpm where dfco won't kick in or only momentarily as I slow down way to fast to make it to the stop.

Any attempts I make at trying to maximize dfco turns into a whole lot more downshifting to keep in the rpm range that works, and puts more wear on the clutch than simple popping into N once.

But then I'm coasting in N already, why not shut off the motor.

:crapstorm:

Products Discussed in

To Top