1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone use a "Freedom Offroad" Winch? $320 for a 12k w/ synthetic line

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by Mr. Projekt, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Oct 8, 2017 at 10:54 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    In regards to a winch being waterproof, here's some good info. The "non waterproof" smittybilt winch is rated IP67, whereas the waterproof one is rated IP68. What's that mean? The first digit (in this case the 6) means "the level of protection that the enclosure provides against access to hazardous parts (e.g., electrical conductors, moving parts) and the ingress of solid foreign objects." So for these winches, they are dust tight.

The second number is the protection of the equipment inside the enclosure against harmful ingress of water. The 7 means "Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion)." The 8 means it can go deeper than 1m.

What I'm getting at is that although a winch may not be marketed as "waterproof", it's still plenty water tight for 99% of our needs. I personally won't be trying to forge through more than a meter of water.

http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

upload_2017-10-8_13-52-2.jpg

GHOST SHIP and PyritePirateBill like this.
  2. Oct 8, 2017 at 2:44 PM
    PyritePirateBill

PyritePirateBill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Vehicle:
    2014 pyrite mica TRD Sport 4x4 AC
    OME 886 Nitrocharger lift, Dakar HD leaf pack, u-bolt flip kit, Bilstein b110 rear shocks, Wheeler's super bumps,18x9 Worx Havoc, 35/12.50/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, ENVE Grille with LED lightbar & raptor leds, ditch lights, nFab tire carrier, 6k hid, tinted tails, AtTheHelm bed stiffeners, SOS Concepts rear bumper, Demello baja front bumper, Smittybuilt 9.5k winch, Mobtown weld-on sliders, AllPro IFS & transm. skid, Mobtown transfer case skid, led fogs, rear-facing led pods on Rago bed brackets, led lights in rear bumper, 54" Bulldog hi-lift jack, Razorback shovel & axe on Quickfist mounts, 2 fire extinguishers, Cobra CB w/Firestik antenna, Tacomapocalypse bed bars w/ Du-Bro 6 fishing rod holders, 4 recovery boards, Yellow wire mod for 4Lo, URD y-pipe, 2.5" custom exhaust w/ Borla muffler, Viair portable air compressor, Kryptek Typhon seat covers, AJT dash knobs, and patches...too many patches
    But sometimes you don't know how deep it is until you drop your nose in it. Lol.

tcjacado and EatSleepTacos like this.
  3. Oct 8, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Then you my friend need to adopt the stick method!

RogueTRD and tcjacado like this.
  4. Oct 8, 2017 at 2:47 PM
    PyritePirateBill

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Vehicle:
    OME 886 Nitrocharger lift, Dakar HD leaf pack, u-bolt flip kit, Bilstein b110 rear shocks, Wheeler's super bumps,18x9 Worx Havoc, 35/12.50/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, ENVE Grille with LED lightbar & raptor leds, ditch lights, nFab tire carrier, 6k hid, tinted tails, AtTheHelm bed stiffeners, SOS Concepts rear bumper, Demello baja front bumper, Smittybuilt 9.5k winch, Mobtown weld-on sliders, AllPro IFS & transm. skid, Mobtown transfer case skid, led fogs, rear-facing led pods on Rago bed brackets, led lights in rear bumper, 54" Bulldog hi-lift jack, Razorback shovel & axe on Quickfist mounts, 2 fire extinguishers, Cobra CB w/Firestik antenna, Tacomapocalypse bed bars w/ Du-Bro 6 fishing rod holders, 4 recovery boards, Yellow wire mod for 4Lo, URD y-pipe, 2.5" custom exhaust w/ Borla muffler, Viair portable air compressor, Kryptek Typhon seat covers, AJT dash knobs, and patches...too many patches
    Hahahaha....do they make an official "expo" stick?:rofl:

5. Oct 8, 2017 at 2:49 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    It's carved from a Bavarian elk's horn and costs $300, but it's worth it :D

6. Oct 8, 2017 at 2:52 PM
    PyritePirateBill

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Vehicle:
    But seriosly that was some good info on what the scale means on waterproofing

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  7. Oct 8, 2017 at 3:39 PM
    bigfella13

bigfella13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    4 banger 4x4
    Lift, armor and such. Money pit, check out the build thread...
    Been wondering about these myself

8. Nov 26, 2017 at 3:24 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Was looking at these as well. Ended up going with Dirt King, but these really threw a wrench in my hunt for UCAs.

Overall, they do look ok. I like the OE type bushings and it offers 3 gussets instead of the usual 2 like camburg, DK, TC offer. The FOR has a gusset behind the ball joint cup, between the two arms. They also seem to be thicker tubing material than the others.

The FOR ball joint cup does seem to line up with the more name brand UCAs. I spent a decent amount of time with pics of the FORs, DKs, and Camburgs up, checking where each ball joint cup lined up in relation to the front shock tower, all were on the back side of the tower, between the spring and rear edge of the tower.

Why I ended up not going with them:

- Lack of info. Their main site is...strange. You can use their "select a vehicle" menu to pick Tacoma, and nothing comes up under UCAs, any year of 2nd gen's.
    http://www.freedomoffroadusa.com/153351/12/0/0/control-arms.html

http://www.freedomoffroadusa.com/front-lower-control-arms.html

- The very obvious "Warranty/Returns" link in the main link section. Why? Is this an issue with their parts? The placement of it is the strangest thing to me, different than what is normally seen.

- Lack of reviews, good or bad. Hard to find anyone talking good, or bad about them. Mostly find "Has anyone tried these" type of questions regarding the FOR UCAs.

- Only info/review I could find was regarding the BJ nut. It's a nylon threaded lock nut. I did read one of the few Amazon reviews that said the lock nut stripped out right quick when trying to install. I like castle nuts and cotter pins more.

- Lack of being open about their replaceable parts. You could probably figure out what parts they use, they offer replaceable ball joints through their website they say....but they don't say what kind of BJ they use. Moog probably, just admit it, everyone else does. Same thing with the arm bushings.

- Lack of a reputation. Any rep, good or bad, other than inexpensive UCAs. 66 Tacoma sets have sold on Ebay. 150ish F150 sets have sold on ebay. And not many reviews....

- Straight up, I didn't want to be "That guy" who cheaps out then ends up having the welds break and looks like an idiot (have read the SPC/LR UCA welds break also....)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Oreo Cat[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 31, 2017 at 5:22 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    Warn is lifetime warranty + extremely reliable...ie. you may not need the warranty. 40+ years personal history with Warn. Will not consider cheaper brands.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  10. Feb 19, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    Rexfordian13

Rexfordian13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Albany/NY Capital District
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB MT
    Thank you for the information.
    I've been wondering, I'm struggling with the winch decision myself right now. Thanks again for doing the research.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Feb 22, 2018 at 3:04 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    How "cheap" is cheap? Just because a winch is lower in price, that has little if anything to do with it's value when all is said and done. Reliability and performance over time carry a LOT more status. And warranty, while of some importance, can be over-rated in some cases. One popular brand has a fantastic reputation for their warranty. Well earned by the boatload of parts they give out.... They hand out replacement parts like candy. My issue with that is, their NEED to hand out parts. To me that indicates nothing short of a high fail rate. It is of far less importance how fast I can fix a broken winch once I'm home than it is having a winch that doesn't break down when I'm in the middle of nowhere. A number of friends have this "less expensive winch". Several got theirs off of Craigslist, etc, where they landed a very cheap winch that someone gave up on....because it was broken. Several others had electrical issues, etc, and managed to get parts fairly easy....allowing them to fix their winch. One person trashed 2 of the less expensive brand....Then bought a Warn and hasn't had another problem. Another person I know somehow blames his Warn winch because someone stole it...o_O (They might not steal less desirable brands???)

Over a period of 45 years, I've owned 3 winches, 2 of which saw use on multiple trucks. The latest is less than 6 months old, and has only been on my current Tacoma. That said, they get used quite a bit. The first one was used hundreds of times. It had ONE issue in its life. The original Warn 8000lb winches used 4 generic Ford 3-lug starter solenoids in their control box. One of them went bad. I called Warn, they sent me a pack of all 4 as replacements. 2nd winch got used a good bit over the 10+ years I owned it, with not so much as a whimper. Current one has made 12 pulls so far...The last 2 were hard pulls. (All 12 were pulling other people...I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times in my life I've actually used one on my own truck!) No issues.

And I hear quite a bit how Warns are "double the cost". Maybe so when compared to the extremely cheap brands....(Like Harbor Freight) But...A new Smittybilt is $475 (+ or -) for a 12K lb. I paid $625 for my 12K Warn VR12S. Do the math....$150 difference (+ or -) ....NOT "double" as mentioned (in another thread) Warranty is similar (but not same) Smittybilt is 3 years electrical/lifetime mechanical. Warn is lifetime unconditional. Warn does sell some high end commercial grade winches that are quite pricey. Those are US manufactured and very costly. Those are often found on vehicles such as Fire Dept brush trucks, etc...

A large majority of Smittybilt owners I know tell me the very first thing you have to do when you buy one is take it home, split it open and remove the "cheap grease" (their words, not mine) and replace it with a higher quality product. Not such an issue with Warn.

Long story short...People that know me will tell you I'm "frugal" to a fault. Just don't believe in buying expensive things when there's no return on investment. In this case, I'll spend the extra few bucks just so I don't have to be fixing a broken winch.

Not going to argue with people about the quality vs price issue...But I won't be owning a lesser winch either.

Rexfordian13 likes this.
  12. Mar 8, 2018 at 11:27 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    Actually, most electric motors don't mind water at all. They run perfectly fine completely submerged. That's actually how you break in to r/c race motors... Corrosion will certainly get you, though.

It's more of the electronics that need waterproofing to keep them from shorting out. I don't know how any of the winch companies do their waterproofing (haven't bothered to look), but ideally you'd encase all the electronics and connectors in a rubberized coating, and I mean like dip the circuit boards in goop, not just make the box sealed (O-rings etc can break down over time, plastic cases can crack, etc...). It's a pain to service them if needed, but they're waterproof.

13. Mar 8, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    Kenstaroni

Kenstaroni Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R TRD Offroad
    Icon Stage 2 285 KO2's RCI Sliders Rhino Rack Pioneer CB
    I don't know anything about Freedom but I bought a Smitty 10k synthetic line winch off ebay for $489.88. Reputable company, good warranty...only a little more $.....you decide.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top