1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone use Rain-X?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Bluegrass Taco, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Oct 27, 2015 at 7:35 PM
    MadDaddy

MadDaddy Pork Rind Extraordinaire

Member:
    53 Miles West of Venus
    Many & varied
    I use it occasionally if we have a rainy week approaching. I find it works best instead of wipers, rather than with wipers. If I can abstain from turning on my wipers long enough for the wind to take hold, it will bead & roll off the windshield. Driving at night Can be tricky due to street lights and oncoming traffic. Upon seeing this thread earlier in the day, I dried and applied Rain X to my mirrors and side windows.

2. Oct 28, 2015 at 1:18 AM
    Beers

Beers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD OR
    I've used it for years on all of my vehicles. I'm a big fan of it and I see a huge difference when driving a car that does not have it.

The easiest way I have found to apply it and not leave any hazing is to clean the windows and apply it BEFORE washing the whole car. Let two coats dry to a haze out of the sun and then wash the car like normal. The windows will have the Rain-X on them, no haze, and no extra work on trying to clean off the excess.

For longer life on the wipers in general, wipe the blades with a damp cloth or paper towel occasionally to clean off dirt. It will make them work better longer.

3. Nov 13, 2015 at 4:03 PM
    Frogging

Frogging Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DEREK
    ORLANDO, FL
    Vehicle:
    DCLB 4.0 2wd
    ASV vent visors LED tailgate brake light Weathertech floor mats Wish list:Maxtrac Spindles New leaf pack Extended rear shocks Braided Brake lines Konig countersteer Anodized bronze 285/70/18 tires NST Crank lite pulley setup XTP intake manifold spacer Neoprene seat covers Fiberglass fenders Power sliding rear window 1" Spacers for rear wheels
    Are you guys using the rain-x wax or the rain-x spray and wipe? I feel there is a big difference in how long they last. The spray bottle doesn't last long at all.. The wax lasts way longer.

as stated about i use a damp cloth to clean the blades regularly but in only get a good year out of them in FL

4. Nov 13, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    For the most part, talking about the rainX liquid in the little yellow (4oz?) bottle.

TacoDan723 likes this.
  5. Nov 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM
    1buzzbait

1buzzbait easiest to ignore

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    murrilin
    Vehicle:
    98 yamaha grizzly - 2002 tin boat
    agree with all the positive posts, shit works

sadmrhappy and NMTrailRider like this.
  6. Nov 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM
    Frogging

Frogging Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DEREK
    ORLANDO, FL
    Vehicle:
    DCLB 4.0 2wd
    ASV vent visors LED tailgate brake light Weathertech floor mats Wish list:Maxtrac Spindles New leaf pack Extended rear shocks Braided Brake lines Konig countersteer Anodized bronze 285/70/18 tires NST Crank lite pulley setup XTP intake manifold spacer Neoprene seat covers Fiberglass fenders Power sliding rear window 1" Spacers for rear wheels
    That's the one i like!

NMTrailRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Nov 13, 2015 at 4:22 PM
    arpowers410

arpowers410 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off road
    I've used both the rain-x wax (yellow bottle) and the washer fluid. I found the rain-x wax last way longer if you put a couple coats on and let it dry completely. But application can get time consuming and if you don't have a garage it can be hard finding a good time to apply it. With my last truck I started using the Rain-x washer fluid. It worked ok, didn't work at all like the yellow bottle but it did clean the windshield a lot better than the normal blue fluid. I could also smell the ammonia when I would spray it which wasn't a big deal for me but for someone sensitive to smell it might irritate them. Once I'm low in the new taco I'm going to switch to the rain x washer fluid, I liked how clean it made the windshield. I don't think I am going to wax the windshield now, getting pretty cold out so I may just wait till spring.

sadmrhappy likes this.
  8. Nov 21, 2015 at 10:25 AM
    4x4Active

4x4Active Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Saltwater Texas
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC OR 3" lift stock rims on 33s
    When I wax my truck. I just wax the windshield. Pretty much does the same thing as rainx but lasted longer.

CusterFan likes this.
  9. Jan 8, 2016 at 2:55 PM
    Invid

Invid Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Limited
    I've used Rain-X for over a decade and I love it. Since the wipers degrade the layers fairly quickly and during the rainy seasons I apply it twice a week. As far as it eating wipers I use Rain-X Latitude single point wiper blades and there is no negative effect as far as I have seen. I regularly get about 15-18 months of use out of them before they start to streak on me. I will use Rain-X until I am unable to.

10. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:05 PM
    Boilerman

Boilerman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas, northwest of the Big Pond
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 Magnetic Gray 2.7L
    Use Rain-X as well great product. In between washings I use the Invisible Glass with Rain-X to help until the next truck washing.

11. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    Yesterday I did two heavy coats of rainX 15 minutes apart without buffing between coats. After about 20 minutes I buffed it all off with a microfiber. Results are super. Winter road spray comes right off with one squirt of the blue wiper fluid. I didn't like the rainX wiper fluid, as it left dried spots of product on my hood and roof.

I do an IPA wipe down before rainX application.

12. Feb 20, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    JohnnyDanger

JohnnyDanger Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR
    I use rainX all the time - if I put on two applications, it lasts a long time for me. My wipers don't degrade it very much because I seldom use them (unless a downpour).

I used to only apply it to a very clean windshield, but I'll touch up my son's car whenever I get the chance (and you know it isn't clean). It still works pretty well.

I use a very small piece of cloth to apply, then throw it away. If I can apply it right before a rain, I don't buff it off first. I think this helps it last longer also.

13. Feb 25, 2016 at 2:37 PM
    SandiestTaco

SandiestTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma
    OME 887's, Bilstein 5100's, HS AAL/no overload, LR UCA's 17" Method NV's 275/70R17 Cooper Discoverer S/T's
    That's why I use as well, only lasts me about a week or so here in Florida.

14. Feb 25, 2016 at 2:47 PM
    sadmrhappy

sadmrhappy <insert clever title>

Member:
    cylinder 0, head 0, sector 1
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Rain-X is awesome. I put a couple of coats on and let it dry thoroughly then buff off. I do this as needed, usually 3 -4 times a year. I use the rain-x wiper fluid as well, seems to make the application last longer. It makes cleaning the windshield easy and makes wipers unnecessary in light rain. In heavy rain it greatly increases visibility. I used to do all the windows but only really do the windshield anymore.

15. Feb 25, 2016 at 2:58 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    I just picked up some Aquapel on Amazon. Supposed to be much better than rainX. Haven't applied it yet.

16. Feb 25, 2016 at 3:15 PM
    6xchamps

6xchamps Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fuquay Varina NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC
    I love using it on my Leer cap rear window. Other than that, I don't bother. As others have mentioned, using it on the windshield gets you in a never ending cycle of reapplying it and burns through wipers.
    Awesome on the rear window though

17. Feb 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM
    Wolftaco0503

Wolftaco0503 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White LONG BED TRD SPORT 4x4
    Maglite mod Bottle Opener in bed Weathertech Mats Front & Back
    Does it keep the snow from sticking to the window?

18. Feb 25, 2016 at 3:20 PM
    NMTrailRider

Member:
    New Mexico
    The RainX decreases the longevity of the wiper blades? Maybe that's why I've not been getting good life out of my Bosh Icons?

19. Feb 25, 2016 at 5:13 PM
    6xchamps

6xchamps Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fuquay Varina NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC
    It might very well just be in my head, but I swear that Rain X is tied to my constantly needing new blades. Seems to me that when I don't use rain X, the blades last longer

NMTrailRider likes this.
  20. Feb 26, 2016 at 10:10 AM
    tan-ishman

tan-ishman Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego,CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB
    a bunch of new/used parts....and some skids.
    use it on every vehicle from my parents, to mine, to the girlfriend. every few months or right before a road trip I re-apply and use the rainX winshield washer fluid. When the car is freshly waxed and rainX'd, water just streams right off. love that stuff! no issues with wipers getting eaten, I clean them off with the same rag I buff the rainx with.

I used to use Windex with ammonia to strip all the old rainx off before reapplying...then i realized they have a "window cleaner + rainx" out. stuff lives in my truck and gets used on the reg. I don't really mind reapplying since it does such a great job.

Anyone here just laugh when its raining at a pretty good click and everyone has their wipers on Hi... but you haven't even thought of turning yours on yet?

rockguitar316 and sadmrhappy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top