1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Used Auto Rx?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by WThomas1250, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Mar 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    A friend of mine told me about Auto Rx, its a liquid you pour in with fresh oil and it's supposed to clean up sludge, lubricate the engine, etc.
    http://www.auto-rx.com/
    My friend's dad used it in his Chevy/Geo Prizm and he immediately noticed an improvement.
    I'm considering trying it on my 98 3.4L with 192K on it. Has anyone used this before?

2. Mar 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    aaronc7

aaronc7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Lots of "snake oil" auto products out there. That said, it probably won't hurt anything to try.

On another forum I am on, seafoam is a popular product to help "clean" various parts of the engine. When mixing it directly with the oil though, it definitely breaks it down. Think of it more as a detergent. If you wanted to put some in your oil to help clean up sludge, I'd say put some seafoam in the crankcase (recommended amount per the bottle) right before an oil change. Let it sit there and idle or awhile, or even do some light driving around the block or whatever. Then drain it, in with new oil.

You can also put it in your gas tanks to help clean the fuel system/injectors. Or directly into the intake manifold to clean the intake manifold, valves, etc.

I've put it in my oil right before I changed it once for shits and giggles. Didn't notice anything, but it wasn't a high miles car. If you suck some up thru the intake tract, once you start it up it will create quite a smokeshow! In theory all the black smoke coming out is carbon that has been lifted off the intake mani/valves/pistons etc. I doubt it will get majority of it...but I can't say for certain.

3. Aug 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    c3po

c3po New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    I hate to break the news to everybody but this product is nothing but SNAKEOIL. It does not do anything for your engine, all it does is empty out your wallet.

You can forget about this product cleaning up any sludge, you can Google a thread called ( 3 ARX cycles, didn't do much, bummer.. It will also not do anything for VARNISH and it does not work in Aluminum Engines, the proof is in a thread that you can GOOGLE called ARX & Aluminum Engines. This product was a site sponsor on BITOG from 2002 till 2009, they got kicked off as a sponsor because 99% of the members who used the product saw no results. When they reported that they did not get results the owner of arx claimed they did something wrong and that they should purchase more auto-rx. The stuff costs $28.00 for a 12 ounce bottle of the junk. It is composed of Lanolin Esters that have very limited cleaning abilities and many members have gotten better results using a HM Oil, Pennzoil Platinum, and even Mobil 1. There is a thread called Mobil 1 better cleaner than Auto-Rx ?

There are about 5 members on BITOG who will claim that auto-rx works, problem here is that they are paid represenatives of the company, you can read about this in a thread called Paid Posters For Auto-Rx. On BITOG there are 40 LOCKED AUTO-RX THREADS, if the product really worked then there would not be so many locked arx threads and they would not need PAID POSTERS. You see, a snakeoil salesman needs accomplices to push his product since the SNAKEOIL SALESMAN has no credibility.

Things are so bad for auto-rx that they went ahead and changed the name of there product to Auto-Rx Plus, same product, but a different name. When a product has a terrible reputation or it is not selling then the owner will change the name of the product. There was a member on BITOG who tested auto-rx plus and showed before and after pics, he now calls the product AUTO-RX MINUS. He actually tested auto-rx and got no results, so the owner gave him 2 FREE BOTTLES OF AUTO-RX PLUS to try out, his thread is called Sneak-peek @ Auto-Rx Plus cleaning after 1400 mi and his thread where he used the old arx is called Auto-Rx results-Part Three- AFTER PICS.

This product used to have a money back guarantee, but a few months ago the owner GOT RID OF THE MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. Anytime you want to use an oil additive to try and clean up your engine it is important to do your research and ask people who have actually used the product.

Auto-Rx claims it cleans sludge, but there is no proof and many threads prove otherwise. The owner has also admitted that his product has a hard time removing Varnish. The only way to remove Varnish from your cylider heads or cams is to have them professionaly cleaned. Arx also claims that its product is safe for turbos, yet auto-rx breaks things off into chuncks and a few users have destroyed there turbos. Arx will claim that there product can stop oil leaks by rejuvenating seals, there is no evidence that this product rejuvenates seals. When arx users complained that there leaks did not stop, the arx owner said they probably had a ripped or torn seal. If you have a seal leak, then you are better off with a HM oil. ARX claims that its product can stop oil burning by cleaning the ring packs, maybe on a vehicle that has had proper OCI's and there is not much junk in the ring packs. If your ring packs are crudded up bad you almost need to take a hammer and chisel to get the rings free. Auto-Rx will claim that it has tests, but the problem here is that the people who did the tests were given free product and these people were on the arx payroll.

Arx has been in business since 2002, and they have 1133 people who have tried the product, but almost all of these people are onetime customers, 2012 was a really bad year for arx since they only picked up 18 customers. You might ask why this product is not sold in any auto parts stores, it would be to expensive and with today's oil's being better there really is not a need for this product. The arx forum is basically the owners blog, his name is Frank Miller, almost every thread has been started by him. This person will say anything to you when you call and promise everything under the sun to get you to buy his product, but once you call back and complain that the product did not work he will make every excuse under the sun.

4. Jul 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    LarryInSC

LarryInSC Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    02 Regular Cab, base model
    Faded paint, missing carpet, torn seat fabric
    I tried it in my 2000 Audi A4 1.8 turbo about 7 years ago. I was having an engine knocking noise issue at start-up. final diagnosis: it was caused by the emissions control system, nothing was wrong with the engine. Until I figured it out, I thought it was a sludge issue, so I tried Auto-Rx and followed the directions. I saw no difference in engine performance, extra dirty oil or anything else.

Long story short, the Auto-Rx didn't appear to do ANYTHING. I've been using Mobil-1 in all of my cars for 16 years. The Audi currently has 185,000 miles on it and it is going strong.

Products Discussed in

To Top