1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone want to trade bumpers?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by justinw, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jul 25, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    justinw

justinw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    richmond
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 progress
    tonneau cover bug sheild Husky mats 2 1/2 in front 2 1/2 in rear
    i have a chrome 2008 bumper and i would like a painted one or a black one would be even better.. im in richmond but dont mind makin a drive..

2. Jul 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    If you want to paint yours it's really not that hard man.

3. Jul 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Lol, i'm here in Richmond too and looking for a painted bumper, I made a couple post this morning on a few threads. I hear it's extremely difficult to get a painted one and very easy to get a chrome one. Sucks for us.:pout:

4. Jul 25, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    Priddle

Priddle And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    Go to the Plasti-Dip Medga Thread and see how people are using Plasti-dip to turn their chrome bumper black. I am doing mine this weekend.

5. Jul 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Plasti-Dip is good to do if you think that you might not like the look of it black, if you don't just peel it off. But Plasti-Dip won't be permanent it will peel off after you wash your truck a couple times and you'll be painting it again. If you think you may not like it then Plasti-Dip but if you know you want it black then just get Krylon rattle can and paint it.

6. Jul 25, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    justinw

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    richmond
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 progress
    see thats the problem i want something thats gonna stay on for good and i figured plastic dip would peal off after awhile and i dont wanna have to go threw the whole process again and again.. i just made a satoshi grill for my truck and did it with plastic dip so i guess we'll see how that works out after awhile..

7. Jul 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    justinw

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    richmond
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 progress
    is there any type of preping to the Krylon?

8. Jul 26, 2011 at 3:11 AM
    Priddle

Priddle And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I want to know as well. I figured any paint would flake off any and instructions on the net around painting chrome involve many steps.

9. Jul 26, 2011 at 3:49 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    None of the bodyshops I've talked to about painting my chrome bumper suggest painting chrome. I know it can be done, but will it last?

10. Jul 26, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    Redhed

Redhed Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner BSP
    Polk Audio components, Rammat sound deadening & Ensolite, blacked out emblems, color matched grill, rhinolined rear bumper, shorty antenna, nerf bars, black Toyota trail edition rims, Sockmonkey vinyl, retrofit overhead temp/compass, JDM Altezza tailights, JDM Black Crystal headlights, Hella Black Magic driving lights, 20" dual row LED light bar.
    I was worried about the paint on chrome issue as well. I decided if I was going to do it, I wanted t odo it right. So I removed my bumper, sandblasted the chrome off of it, a little scary (no going back now), and I sprayed it with bedliner. I used Rustoleum spray can badliner from Lowes. Turned out great! I love it, and it's super durable. I ended up using 2-1/2 cans. You have t obe careful it doesn't run on you, and be sure to shake the can like every 5 seconds. But I'm extremely happy with the results. I just don't see plasti-dip lasting.

11. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    Found these 2 quotes from another thread. Take some sand paper and scuff it up like said above and then use primer and then paint it. Like crawler said nothing will be permanent. Paint will last you longer than Plasti-Dip will (couple years) and then you'll have to paint it again.

The only alternative is to this is to go to the dealer tell them you want to get a black stock bumper should run you about $200 maybe less. And they'll get you one thats black.

12. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    justinw

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    richmond
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 progress
    thanks guys.. i got a buddy thats owns Truck Outfitters and does a whooooole lot of bedlining so ill either go threw that or get it powdercoated.. but i think bedliner would be the best cause it will even stronger..

thanks for all the info tho

13. Jul 26, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    Large Farva

Large Farva Does this look like spit to you?

Member:
    First Name:
    Who's Barry Badrinath?
    Smyrna, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB TRD Sport
    Black Bully Step Bars, Black Bull Bar, Black tailight guards, Flowmaster Duals, K&N CAI, Redline Hoodstruts, EZ Down Tailgate assist, TRD Skid Plate, SOCK Monkey Decals, Metal Miller Front Emblem, OEM Roof Rack, Blu Logic Bluetooth, YAKIMA Bike Racks, Tinted Windows, RockyMount Bike Racks, TRD Gas Cap, Shorty Antenna, Homer Taco's Satoshi, Wet Oaklies, Baja Roof Cargo Rack Future: Spindle Lift w/ 285's
    My buddy took his chrome bumper off his 05 and sanded the $h1t out of it. Then took it to a local body shop that color matched it for $50. It was a cash only transaction with no guarantees, but he's had it on there 5 years now with no problem.

14. Jul 26, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    justinw

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    richmond
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 progress
    yea i work at a body shop so it nothin for me to knock this thing out. i just wanna do this one time and one time only so im just tryin to get sum ideas..

15. Jul 26, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Sandblast it and either paint it or powdercoat it.

Products Discussed in

To Top