1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Wire in a Front Camera?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Snakedoctor, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Nov 9, 2017 at 12:11 PM
    Snakedoctor

Snakedoctor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    Mandatory tint, in-channel visors, and 265/75R16 MT Toyos.
    I purchased a kit from aytimebackupcamera.com and well I thought I was smart enough to make things happen but I am in over my head. Has anyone done something similar to possibly help me out?

Im currently in the process of figuring out to wire the relay to power, how to power the front camera, and how to wire the DPDT switch.

If anyone can provide some insight I would greatly appreciate it, I would love to have this mod but I dont see the proper way.

2. Nov 9, 2017 at 12:33 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Man, their directions are pretty garbage. I'm trying to draw it out for you, and its tripping me up pretty bad. I'll do my best to work it out here in a bit.

3. Nov 9, 2017 at 12:36 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
  4. Nov 9, 2017 at 12:51 PM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB TRD Locked 4WD & '17 Tundra DC SR5 TRD Offroad
    stock af, but hover if you think you disagree... RV living: Vagabond Drifter (6' bed) Custom bed cabinet buildout 175w Renogy solar panel 40a Rich Solar MPPT solar controller 1000w Wagan Pure Line inverter Lavaner Pro 2kw diesel heat exchanger Suspension/wheels: Toytec Aluma 2.5 front shocks with resis 13x700 coils (soon 14x700) Toytec Aluma 2.5 rear shocks SPC UCAs Deaver Stage 3 rear leaf springs Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops 18"x9" XD Monster (x5) 275/75/18 Cooper ST MAXX (x5) EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors Electronics: Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR Stubby Antenna No-name Switchback LEDs Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket Armor/recovery: BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker Interior: Husky Floor Liners (F&R) Rear 40% seat-delete Hinged fridge platform in place of rear seat Exterior: CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate (second iteration) Removed: OEM Bed Mat CaliRaised bed molle panels
    Mine is wired into an aftermarket head unit (which does all the switching and whatnot).
    Just supply power on ignition, and I assume you've got a single (probably yellow) RCA/composite cable to plug into your screen.
    The Kenwood I have will switch to the rear camera while I'm in reverse (achieved by tapping into the backup light circuit), and then for a few seconds after you switch out of reverse, the front camera will display (this is a feature within the Kenwood HU). I also have the ability via touchscreen UI to manually switch on either of the two cameras whenever I want. Because the head unit controls the display on/off, there's no need for a physical switch for me.

5. Nov 9, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    Purpleman

Purpleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner
    Do you have an aftermarket head unit?

6. Nov 9, 2017 at 9:56 PM
    Snakedoctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    I have the factory Entune radio head unit

7. Nov 9, 2017 at 9:59 PM
    Red Baron

Red Baron Let's call it livabetes, no more die

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Lost on a roundabout
    Vehicle:
    07 Radiant Red DCSB
    Things with metal, dog hair, more metal and lights
  8. Nov 10, 2017 at 6:03 AM
    Stig

Stig Resident smartass

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Ta no mo
    I bought the kit, never had time to do it then had an issue with the kit. So nope. Actually still have the cameras though.

9. Nov 12, 2017 at 8:58 AM
    Purpleman

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner
    You'd probably be safe tapping off the cig lighter for the relay or "add a fuse" off something that gets accessory power on the interior fuse box. Camera should be fine off the accessory wire behind the radio. The cameras ground should be somewhere close to it under the hood.

As far as the DPDT, I have no idea. Google search "dpdt switch wiring for 2 cameras", I'm too lazy to research it for you.

Don't make anything permanent until you know it works. Wire up your relay, camera and switch, then give it power and test it. Run a fused power wire from the battery to power it if you don't want to mess with tapping power sources for testing.

10. Nov 12, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    Snakedoctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    There's wires in the harness I was given I'm probably going to tap into, just not sure how to go about it. I'm thinking just stripping some of the wire and connecting it.

As for the ground it should be close to the camera? I was just going to extend the wires from the camera to get into the cab. If that's the case I'll just extend the power wire and leave the ground under the hood.

11. Nov 12, 2017 at 8:58 PM
    Purpleman

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner
    Im looking at their "add a front camera and view anytime" kit on their site, and I don't see any free wires on the kit(Other than the ground and a power wires for the relay, that need to be tapped into a power source and ground).

Yes, ground should be a chassis ground close to the camera. Theres no reason to run it all the way into the cab.

Twizted likes this.
  12. Nov 12, 2017 at 11:48 PM
    Snakedoctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    Only thing that's needs power is really the relay since the camera can feed off the same source. I just don't know if I want to cut and splice into the right wire in the harness or go another route.

That makes sense on the ground. I'm worried about it being difficult to run the wires into the truck though.

13. Nov 13, 2017 at 12:41 AM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
  14. Nov 13, 2017 at 1:51 AM
    Jamart5

Jamart5 HoeRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    SETX
    Vehicle:
    '16 4Runner TRD
    Mind if I send you a PM I have a couple questions for you about how to wire front camera to my Kenwood unit.

15. Nov 13, 2017 at 5:15 AM
    Twizted

Twizted 1GR FE

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    America
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCLB TRD Locked 4WD & '17 Tundra DC SR5 TRD Offroad
    stock af, but hover if you think you disagree... RV living: Vagabond Drifter (6' bed) Custom bed cabinet buildout 175w Renogy solar panel 40a Rich Solar MPPT solar controller 1000w Wagan Pure Line inverter Lavaner Pro 2kw diesel heat exchanger Suspension/wheels: Toytec Aluma 2.5 front shocks with resis 13x700 coils (soon 14x700) Toytec Aluma 2.5 rear shocks SPC UCAs Deaver Stage 3 rear leaf springs Wheeler's 3 degree axle shims Wheeler's U-bolt flip Wheeler's Super Bumpstops 18"x9" XD Monster (x5) 275/75/18 Cooper ST MAXX (x5) EBC Stage 3 pads/rotors Electronics: Kenwood DNX773S iDatalink - Maestro RR Stubby Antenna No-name Switchback LEDs Hella Sharptone horns (no relay) Relocated backup camera w/DIY bracket Armor/recovery: BruteForceFab Rear HC w/swingout BAMF Sliders (DOM, 10 degree w/kick out, rattle-canned) BAMF IFS Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Mid Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF TC Skid (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF LCA Skids (BAMF powder-coated) BAMF Rear Diff Skid (early model, powder-coated) BAMF CMC Plates US Offroad Winch Bumper Smittybilt X20 10k synthetic rope winch Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners ARB compressor w/air-up kit DIY cowl snorkel ARB rear air-locker Interior: Husky Floor Liners (F&R) Rear 40% seat-delete Hinged fridge platform in place of rear seat Exterior: CaliRaised Low-profile Ditch Light Brackets CaliRaised Side-projecting LED pods CaliRaised Faux TRD Pro Grille Morimoto amber LED fog lights One-of-a-kind 1GRFE plate (second iteration) Removed: OEM Bed Mat CaliRaised bed molle panels
    Sure, go ahead; I actually just cleared out old messages last week.

Jamart5[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Nov 13, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    Purpleman

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner
    They suggest you go tap off the cig lighter, you can do that right behind the cig lighter or at the fuse box with an "add a fuse"

Theres a rubber "boot" on the drivers side you can poke thru. I would poke from the inside out. Its probably wrapped in electrical tape at the end, just carefully cut it off and you can stick your finger and feel for a clear spot away from the wires that go thru it.

17. Nov 13, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    Snakedoctor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Land O Lakes, FL
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR
    Trying to make everything work and for some reason when my relay is connected with power it over rides the rear camera and I can't figure out how to stop that.

Products Discussed in

To Top