1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone with experience with manufactured home buying??

Discussion in 'North West' started by medic29, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Apr 7, 2019 at 6:51 AM
    medic29

medic29 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road AC/LB
    I am looking for a MH to put on land in Vancouver, WA. Looking at dealers online, it seems that almost every review is negative...mostly with dishonest salesmen/women. I know you can't believe everything you read, but there are so many negative reviews out there.
    Looking for some honest positive reviews to send me in the right direction of a dealer. THX

2. Apr 7, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    Just Dandee

Just Dandee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Southwest Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    Supercharged-2.5 lift-255/85/16
    No direct experience I have casually looked but not bought but if your looking new. Shop around look at the product. Ask them for three/four customer referrals. People always more likely to complain then compliment on line.

Look at the windows, doors, cabinets seems like these are often very light construction so if you see a manufacture with good material there that would be a good indicator.

medic29[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 7, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    whitepony04

whitepony04 The Big Igloo is coming...

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner B
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    19 trdordcsbxyz
    Eibach pro kit, 3 leaf aal, ecgs, fn fx pros, bfg ko2, gator sfx, Meso stuff
    My father in law has a manufactured home. It’s beautiful but after 7-8 years it’s ceiling is cracking and is having electrical issues. He wishes he had never gone that route.

medic29[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 13, 2019 at 10:01 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    As an indication of quality... my dad took a job building them in the 70s. From raw material, they would finish 7 in a day, and managers would yell at them for being too slow.

If you are interested in moving to Wilsonville, my cousin might sell his place for around $50k soon

5. Apr 13, 2019 at 10:15 AM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    Mobile homes go down in value like a vehicle does. Obviously not at the same rate. But they don't increase in value like a true stick frame home. The land value will go up, but if you're not the one that owns the land, that can put you in a tricky spot. If you're in a situation to go a different route, it may be a better situation long term to do so. Good luck with your decision.

Just Dandee likes this.
  6. Apr 13, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    medic29

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road AC/LB
    Thanks for all of the replies...much appreciated. I toured the Fleetwood factory in Woodburn yesterday and was pretty impressed. They use 2x6 frame construction, solid cabinets, and 'energy star' package as standard. Owning the land will be a plus. After 10 years or so, I can build my dream cabin on my own time, and rent out the double wide as income once I retire.
    Thanks again.

Just Dandee likes this.
  7. Apr 18, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    Scotty Dosent Know

Scotty Dosent Know Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB

Hey not sure if this helps at all but I'm an insurance adjuster and look at a ton of manufactured homes. Not all are bad but you would want to definitely look for one with 2x6 exterior walls and i at all possible a more traditional roof structure. The small 2x2 trusses they use are garbage. Get upgraded roof decking and nail down roofing application over staples if they offer it. Also I wouldnt buy a home with cpvc plumbing but I would suspect they probably all use PEX now.

The other thing to think about is companies willing to insure a manufactured home are almost non existent in WA. I believe about your only choice is American Reliable. They are not a bad company but about the only option I have heard from people with manufactured homes. If you place the home on a foundation and have it anchored I think you can get it classified as a regular home which would open up your insurance options and make the home last longer. Im not positive on that one through.

If I were you I would add up all the costs of putting in a manufactured home (delivery, setup, utilities, decks/porches, permitting, foundation/block and level etc.) and see what you come up with for a total. I would guess having a builder stick build something for you is not going to be to far off and honestly I would take a more budget minded stick build with laminate countertops over a decked out mobile home with granite. The stick built home will go up in value and will be worth putting money into at a later point in time to upgrade finishes. Even decked out mobile homes the build quality and finishes used at sub par. Do you really want particle board sub floors?

medic29[QUOTED][OP] and STacoS like this.
  8. Apr 18, 2019 at 10:08 AM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    He said manufactured not mobile. Big difference.

medic29[OP] likes this.
  9. Apr 18, 2019 at 12:13 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

Member:
    I think you are confusing manufactured and modular. Manufactured and mobile are used interchangeably.

medic29[OP] likes this.
  10. Apr 19, 2019 at 6:33 AM
    medic29

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Off Road AC/LB
    All good points, thanks again for TW Nation for the help.
    And yes, mobile homes and manufactured homes are used interchangeably. I had to ask at the factory!

11. Apr 19, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    If it is not anchored to a concrete foundation, it will be considered mobile no matter what and subject depreciation.

12. Apr 19, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Not really. My buddy who lives with in a National Park is getting a manufactured home but on a solid foundation on land he “owns”

13. Apr 19, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

Member:
    See my previous response. You are explaining a modular home, not a manufactured home.

Products Discussed in

To Top