1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anytime Foglight mod explained electrical (diagrams)

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Crom, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Apr 4, 2012 at 6:02 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER

:thumbsup:

2. May 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    TOMRR

TOMRR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD, DCSB, AUTO, BLAZING BLUE, PREMIUM JBL TECT.
    Stock TRD OFF ROAD DCSB AUTO JBL TECT. Bed Mat Heated and turn signal mirrors Wet Okole Front Seat Covers Prodigy Brake Controler Front Skid Plate Power Wagon Badge Tint Driver and Pessenger door windows Inchannel window vents
    I just did the no splice method to my fog lights went smooth on and off when I want them:) Iam hopeing no side effect's
    Thanks for the Great Idea

Tom C.

3. May 21, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I updated the OP to link to Johnny E.'s 2012 update on post 133 to help people who find this thread.

4. Jul 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    JNSRacing

JNSRacing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 V6
    3" Rev Tek, 15x10 Alcoas, 30x11.5 TSL/SX K&N Intake, Smitty Builts
    This Mod Rocks !! Thanks jivewalker and to all @ Tacoma World !!!

5. Jul 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    WARR4NT

WARR4NT Well-Known Member

Member:
    I know what I'm gonna attempt this weekend...thanks

6. Jul 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    The heated seats aren't pre-wired on my truck so no extra green wire to tap into. Is there another spot I can jumper from within the smaller side box so that I don't have to fish another wire back to the main box?

Edit: Reference Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Aug 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    datacoflip

datacoflip Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport Pyrite Mica
    Thanks jivewalker!!!! Just did the mod in like 10 min, works great.
    Will let you folks know if there are side effects.

8. Aug 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    cdh7917

cdh7917 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro
    Can someone put up some details as to how this would be tapped into the trailer harness?

I would like to have my fogs only operate if my parking lights are turned on. I have no need for them to operate 100% independently from all other lights.

Thank you!

9. Aug 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    cdh7917

cdh7917 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro
    Hey Gang!

I decided that when I did this, I didn't want to have my fogs work anytime the ignition was turned on. I only wanted my fogs to operate when my parking lights (at a minimum), and work independently of my low and hi beam headlights.

While the other solutions worked great for any time, I needed something different. Running wires outside the main fuse/relay panel under the hood was least desirable.

Please see pictures attached below. This is for 2012 models, with the towing package, and the fog relay in the smaller sub-panel. I also am not pre-wired for heated seats.

1. Using a 18-20 AWG stranded wire, feed it through the edge of the main panel, where the bottom clips into the main body of it. This is directly adjacent to the brown relay at the edge of the box.

2. Untape the main bundle of wires into the smaller sub-panel, and add the new wire to the bundle. Retape as needed, to make it look factory. Super-stealth!

3. In the center of the sub-panel, you can see a small hole. Fish the wire from the bottom, up to the top.

**At this point, the wire is simply run, and not connected to anything**

4. Remove the relay for the Tow circuit. Taking the end of the wire in the main panel, strip off about 3/4" of insulation, and bend the wire in a tight "V" shape. This V is then placed on the spade of the Towing Relay that is closest to the drivers' side fender, and then reinsert the relay into its space. This will be a tight fit.

5. Strip and crimp on a female spade connect to the other end.

6. Follow the rest of the procedure already outlined, and attach it to the fog relay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Parking lights:
    [​IMG]

Low Beams:
    [​IMG]

Hi Beams:
    [​IMG]

Baja Barry likes this.
  10. Aug 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    SirLance7281

SirLance7281 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    I've tried different ways of doing this and no matter what position my light setting is on. Example Parking, DRL, Lows my fog lights are always on. Even when I have the setting on park lights my lows come on with my fogs. I want to have my fogs on with my DRL or with my highs. I would like to beable to turn them on and off when I want on any setting I want. Like the rest of you guys out there. What am I doing wrong? I've went from the fog light fuse to the ignition switch. I dont know what to do everytime my lows come on even when the switch is in the off position. Any ideas? Hope that makes a little sence. Thank-you.

11. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    hakabo

hakabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 urban runner 4x4
    i have a 2007, tried the splice method and could never get the fog lights to work with the fuse pin bent out, and the fogs and head lights were ALWAYS on if i just stuffed the wires into the fuse pin hole. splicing into the green wire didnt work at all, i never had independent fogs. any ideas????

12. Sep 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Can you explain more of what your process was? What did you have the wire connected to when you bent out the (what I'm assuming you mean is the) relay.

And may I suggest this method:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/132862-fog-lights-w-parking-low-beam-high-beam.html

It only comes on if your parking lights are on. But I drive with my parking lights on anyways since they also turn on my brake lights

13. Sep 17, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit

14. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    I did this Saturday in 10 minutes using jivewalker's method in post #78. Worked great, then Sunday, no fog lights. Connections were good, still nothing. I'm new to the truck and there isn't an owners manual. I'm thinking a fuse blew for the fog lamps, I'm just not sure where to look for the fuse. Is it in the same section as the Relay (under the hood) or is it in the dash near the switch? Any help would be appreciated!
    [​IMG]

15. Sep 26, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    jivewalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:

Did you disconnect the battery before you did the mod? Are you getting any warning lights or just no fogs? I would have to think maybe you have a bad connection in the wire you installed first, and then maybe a blown fuse. Search around tW and im sure youll find the manual showing fuse locations, but I really tend to think its not a fuse. Also look at the toyota website, think you can get your maual there as well. Let us know what it turns out to be. The mod worked flawlessly for me with no problems. Good luck!

16. Sep 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    The two places fuses are, are with the relay and behind the coin holder to the left under your steering wheel. There is a map of the fuses under the fuse box cover and behind the coin holder.

Also try this method:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/132862-fog-lights-w-parking-low-beam-high-beam.html

17. Sep 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM
    belone12

belone12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 6spd TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100s, AAL, heated leather seats, Thule Rack, tow package, anytime foglight, Fold-a-cover
    Still don't know how to quote so forgive me. Derrrrrp.
    Jive, thanks for the help. I didn't disconnect the battery, but I am also not getting any warning lights. It worked or a day. I will double check the connection and then go from there.
    Sloth, I appreciate the help as well. I'll see if any fuses blew but hopefully it's just a loose connection.
    Thanks guys!!

18. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    jivewalker

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:

You'll get it, make sure the relay is seated all the way down. Let us know!

19. Oct 1, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    I did this mod and my fogs work regardless of my light setting but now my headlights are on all the time. Any ideas?

20. Oct 3, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    Just so people know, don't use a quick splice to do this or else your headlights will stay on all the time. Here's my thread about it:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/li...time-foglight-mod-13-headlights-all-time.html

Products Discussed in

To Top