1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anytime front camera issues

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TurboFire10, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Jul 24, 2020 at 4:49 AM
    SpyderRC

SpyderRC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB
    I got my power from the fuse panel by the driver side kick panel. Maybe I'll add an inline fuse and get my power from the same wire on the harness that the switch gets its power.

2. Aug 6, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    Tnc

Tnc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NE Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD OR
    Update on my camera from taco garage. They sent me replacement parts and the camera is working as it should now. Hopefully the problem is solved for good. Time will tell how long this one lasts. Good customer service though on the replacement parts.

DES2009 likes this.
  3. Aug 9, 2020 at 2:14 PM
    TurboFire10

TurboFire10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro
    ARE Revo, RCI rock sliders
    Update for me. It was in fact the suspected heat soak that caused the flickering, especially on a hot day running the a/c at idle or low speed, rock crawling in 4Lo, etc.

I got an AC condenser fan for $30 from the junkyard and wired it to the AC fuse. After driving the piss out of the truck and getting it nice and hot, I let it idle with the AC on for over 10 minutes and didn’t get a single flicker like before. Cheers!

4. Aug 9, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Fletcher37

Fletcher37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    I'm kinda dense. Where you mount the fan? Where is the heat soak issue: near the head unit or at the camera?

5. Aug 9, 2020 at 6:01 PM
    TurboFire10

TurboFire10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro
    ARE Revo, RCI rock sliders
    The issue was the Natika camera getting too hot and causing the head unit picture to flicker. Mounting a fan on the AC condenser from pretty much any other Toyota completely solved the issue for me. Plus I’ve already noticed it helps my AC perform better on lower settings. Not sure why this truck didn’t come stock with this fan

6. Jan 3, 2021 at 7:39 PM
    hrivera007

hrivera007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Off Road Auto
    I'm having the same flickering issues with the front camera. When I remove the fuse and put it back it works again for a little bit.

7. Jan 4, 2021 at 8:27 AM
    empty_space

empty_space Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maybe a loose connection for power? Which camera do you have?

8. Jan 4, 2021 at 10:56 AM
    JRLYON

JRLYON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement TRD Off Road DCSB
    KDMaxx Tuned Bilstein 6112/5160 set at 2” w/ 1.5” Icon AAL 2020 TRD Pro Shocks and Struts (no longer installed) 2020 TRD Pro 16" Wheels Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/75/16 tires Alpharex LUXX Series LED Taillights Black/Red (no longer installed) 2020 TRD Pro Taillights TRD Performance Air Intake TRD Performance Exhaust TRD Front Skid Plate Tyger T3 Soft Fold Tonneau Cover TacoGarage Pro Grille w/OEM sensor garnish Taco Garage DSM w/ magnetic phone mount Runnin4Tacos Smoked Amber Grille Lights (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) Runnin4tacos amber grille lights) Runnin4Tacos Lower Control Arm Skid Plates Katzkin Black Leather Interior with red stitching and TRD logo in seat back TRD Pro Shift Knob TRD Oil Cap TRD Radiator cap TRD Off-Road Special Tailgate badge JLT 3.0 Oil Separator Catch Can Demon Brackets w 3/4" red/black Autmatch D-Ring Shackles Black Emblems and Tailgate badge OEM Bed Lights OEM Predator Tube Steps AVS In Channel Window Visors MESO Total Tail Stage 1 MESO Ultimate Map Lights (Dual Color) (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) MESO Ultimate Map Lights (White) MESO Ultimate Dome Light V2 (Dual Color) MESO Chrome Delete Kit Red MESO Customs Red Start/Stop Ring MESO Customs Red 4x4 Select Ring MESO Customs Red Start/Stop Button (Small Letters) MESO Customs V5 Ultimate Turn Signals (Reverse Sequential) MESO Customs TRD Stearing Wheel Emblem cover MESO Customs red door handle chrome delete (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) MESO Customs black door handle chrome delete TVDVinylDecal red door sill protector letters TVDVinylDecal red glovebox letters Redline Tuning Hood Struts Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Fog Lights (White) (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED)Diode Dynamics LED 194 HP5 Map Lights (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) Diode Dynamics LED HP6 29mm Festoon Dome Light Bulb (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) Diode Dynamics LED 28mm Fuse Vanity Bulbs Diode Dynamics LED 194 HP3 License Plate Bulbs Taco Vinyl TRD Grille Badge Black/Red Cupholderhero cupholder/door/pocket rubber liners Front Tinted Windows to match rear OEM tint OEM Tacoma Rubber Bed Mat OEM Tacoma Bed Extender Tacos4Cheap TRD Coin Box JDMCAR Glove Box Organizer Insert JDMCAR Center Console Organizer Insert CeramicPro 9h Lifetime Ceramic coating
    Glad I just found this thread I thought it was just me. Mine front cam flickers and then goes black sometimes. I've noticed when it does that if I turn my truck off and then back on it fixes it. I am using a Natika cam which is wired to the fuse box on its own fuse.

I tried messaging anytime about this multiple times and could not get anyone to even respond.

9. Jan 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM
    hrivera007

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Off Road Auto
    Is this camera from Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/PARKVISION-Horizontally-Vertically-Off-Center-Brightness/dp/B087G4YGKT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=parkvision+smart+backup+camera+front%2Frear&qid=1609787258&sr=8-4
    I checked the connections under the hood, but I still need to check behind the radio. If everything looks good with the connections, I probably will purchase a new camera.
    I message the company, they asked if it happens when off roading, I replied but no response yet.

10. Jan 4, 2021 at 1:19 PM
    mwrood

mwrood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Voodoo Blue TRD Premium Sport
    I haven’t had a single issue out of mine for the few months I’ve used it. Granted it’s “winter” time so it hasn’t been extremely hot, but has still gotten close to the 90’s a couple times in Texas since I installed it.

11. Jan 4, 2021 at 6:18 PM
    empty_space

Member:
    I never used that camera. but for that price, it better be just as good as the Natika. I would guess loose connection somewhere, not too much is going on connection wise. I could understand it blinking out when in motion and you have some vibration (like off-roading)

That's weird. Do you see it happening when you are backing up? And does this happen after a long period of time of using the front camera?

hrivera007[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 4, 2021 at 8:45 PM
    empty_space

Member:
    One more thing too. On my harnessing that I got from ABC, there was one pin on one of the connectors that was loose. That pin wasn't seeded in the connector all the way, so I took a little pin to push it in until there was a click. Might want to check that too

hrivera007 likes this.
  13. Jan 5, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    JRLYON

JRLYON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    KDMaxx Tuned Bilstein 6112/5160 set at 2” w/ 1.5” Icon AAL 2020 TRD Pro Shocks and Struts (no longer installed) 2020 TRD Pro 16" Wheels Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/75/16 tires Alpharex LUXX Series LED Taillights Black/Red (no longer installed) 2020 TRD Pro Taillights TRD Performance Air Intake TRD Performance Exhaust TRD Front Skid Plate Tyger T3 Soft Fold Tonneau Cover TacoGarage Pro Grille w/OEM sensor garnish Taco Garage DSM w/ magnetic phone mount Runnin4Tacos Smoked Amber Grille Lights (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) Runnin4tacos amber grille lights) Runnin4Tacos Lower Control Arm Skid Plates Katzkin Black Leather Interior with red stitching and TRD logo in seat back TRD Pro Shift Knob TRD Oil Cap TRD Radiator cap TRD Off-Road Special Tailgate badge JLT 3.0 Oil Separator Catch Can Demon Brackets w 3/4" red/black Autmatch D-Ring Shackles Black Emblems and Tailgate badge OEM Bed Lights OEM Predator Tube Steps AVS In Channel Window Visors MESO Total Tail Stage 1 MESO Ultimate Map Lights (Dual Color) (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) MESO Ultimate Map Lights (White) MESO Ultimate Dome Light V2 (Dual Color) MESO Chrome Delete Kit Red MESO Customs Red Start/Stop Ring MESO Customs Red 4x4 Select Ring MESO Customs Red Start/Stop Button (Small Letters) MESO Customs V5 Ultimate Turn Signals (Reverse Sequential) MESO Customs TRD Stearing Wheel Emblem cover MESO Customs red door handle chrome delete (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) MESO Customs black door handle chrome delete TVDVinylDecal red door sill protector letters TVDVinylDecal red glovebox letters Redline Tuning Hood Struts Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Fog Lights (White) (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED)Diode Dynamics LED 194 HP5 Map Lights (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) Diode Dynamics LED HP6 29mm Festoon Dome Light Bulb (CURRENTLY NOT INSTALLED) Diode Dynamics LED 28mm Fuse Vanity Bulbs Diode Dynamics LED 194 HP3 License Plate Bulbs Taco Vinyl TRD Grille Badge Black/Red Cupholderhero cupholder/door/pocket rubber liners Front Tinted Windows to match rear OEM tint OEM Tacoma Rubber Bed Mat OEM Tacoma Bed Extender Tacos4Cheap TRD Coin Box JDMCAR Glove Box Organizer Insert JDMCAR Center Console Organizer Insert CeramicPro 9h Lifetime Ceramic coating
    Only happens with front camera on. Sometimes it will not work until truck is turned off and back on. I'd say my cam does this about 1 put of every 5 times I try using it.

I only use my cam for very short periods of time. Mainly just flip it on when I need to park close to something in front me (grocery store, parking garage etc)

14. Jan 17, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    HoosierAussie

HoosierAussie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    I just installed the Anytime Front Camera (Natika) and everything seems to be working OK. The only issue I have is when I go to switch it from the front camera to off, the rear camera image flashes up for a split second. This doesn't happen when turning the front camera on. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps a loose connection?

15. Jan 17, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    hrivera007

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Off Road Auto
    I think thats pretty normal . Mine does the same .

HoosierAussie[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jan 17, 2021 at 11:56 AM
    HoosierAussie

HoosierAussie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Thanks! I think you are right - I've seen the same thing on a few videos.

hrivera007[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 20, 2021 at 6:12 AM
    SkunkTaco

SkunkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kahl
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement TRD PRO
    Any resolution on this? Mine started doing the same thing. Got bored sitting in a drive thru, turned on the camera and it lasted all of 10 seconds before going black. Wouldn't come back on until almost home 20 minutes later.

18. Feb 21, 2021 at 5:07 AM
    plamore

plamore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Offroad
    D-ring tow hitch insert (red)
    Has anyone tried using larger guage wiring? With long runs there could be a voltage drop thats browning out the camera?

19. Feb 22, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    JRLYON

JRLYON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Nope. I've also tried contacting ANYTIME a couple times and they refuse to respond

SkunkTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Feb 22, 2021 at 12:42 PM
    Blueberry.Taco

Blueberry.Taco blueberry.taco (IG)

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryo
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    2020 @blueberry.taco
    have you tried emailing or calling?
    I'm surprised.
    I've had pretty quick responses either way, but even when his voicemailbox was full he responded to email within a day (it was a weekend)

Products Discussed in

To Top