1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anytimebackupcamera.com Install- Front and Rear Cameras

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Papadave418, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Jan 23, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    Papadave418

Papadave418 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The rear camera harness, which is necessary, overrides the screen so that you can look at the rear camera at anytime. If you add the front camera module it overrides the rear camera signal with a front camera feed. So you have to start with the rear override harness

2. Jan 24, 2019 at 1:34 AM
    orion808

orion808 Jack of all trades. Master of none.

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tacoma Off-Road (Premium & Tech)
    Interior LEDs Hardwired DashCam/Extra USB Black "Tacoma" on tailgate Blackened Badges Nerf Bars Mud Guards Rear Diff. Breather Mod Plasti-dipped Grille Glovebox Vinyl LED Bed Lights LED soft glow flooring accent lights Custom switches Diamondback Tonneau 3rd Bed Rail Sill Protectors w/ Vinyl Tweeter Upgrades Tint windows Husky Floor Mats Molle Panel behind seats Speaker Upgrades Anytime Camera Mod w/ Secondary Rear Camera Plan: Clazzios 2-3" Lift
    Working on a second backup camera for when the tailgate is down. Hit a snag though, so it's going to take longer than expected. I'll be mounting it under my diamondback cover's middle support I believe.

Proof of concept works and it's just a matter of installing it.

3. Jan 24, 2019 at 5:57 AM
    okichewy1

okichewy1 Just chuggin' along!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Kimberly, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB TRD Sport Quicksand
    Ultra Flex bed cover, TRD PRO Grille, 32" LED light under grille, Pop n' Lock on tailgate, OCD organizer for center console and glove box, LED bed lights, OEM bed mat, black TACOMA tailgate letters, LED illumination light package, black vinyl overlays for badges, OEM bed step, plasti-dipped front valance and mirrors, 15% tinted windows and sun strip, vinyl letters on dash, vinyl letters on tailgate handle and door sill protectors, TRD Pro shift knob, home-link rear view mirror, mountain vinyl decal above Tacoma on door, FN FX pro wheels, AVS bug deflector, AVS in-channel window vents, front bed rail, red line hood struts, LED interior lights, TRD Pro skid plate, slim line front license plate holder, CaliRaised LED Ditch light brackets with LED lights, Bilstein 5100's, OME 888's, Dakar HD leaf springs, cubby covers, CaliRaised LED Fog light kit,

Was wondering how you get the camera to adjust to a normal view with how you installed it? I picked this up last month and installed it yesterday, but when I push the button all it does it take the guide line off or on. Is there a trick with the button (like hold it down longer or such) to get it inverted and not backwards? thanks - Ken

4. Jan 24, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    ZKH

ZKH Well-Known Member

Member:
    northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD-OR DCLB A/T 4x4 BBP Prem+Tech
    I'm looking for a switch panel to replace my cubby. I don't have any open switch locations available except for the one under the cubby that is for the clutch start cancel switch, and that one is too big for the new switch that anytimebackupcamera.com is offering. I've not had the cubby out yet, so I haven't seen the back of it other than pics I've seen on TW. How difficult would it be to make my own blank panel and cutout an opening for the FRSwitch?

5. Jan 24, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    Papadave418

Member:
    Which camera do you have? If it’s the Yimo one one the instructions it details how many button pushes it takes to get to an inverted screen. I remember being a little frustrated then suddenly bam it was right

okichewy1[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 24, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    Papadave418

Member:
    It shouldn’t be hard at all. I used the @CaliRaisedLed 3 switch plate to delete my useless cubby on the left which gave me 3 switch spots. I don’t have a manual so I’m not sure how big that start/cancel switch opening is, and I modded my switch spot larger for where the oem Toyota security light plate would have gone. Get a 3mm thick piece of blac plastic and carve out what you need, shouldn’t be too hard

7. Jan 24, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    Papadave418

Member:
    Assuming the snag you hit was in design and not something while backing up with your tailgate down....:transformer:

8. Jan 24, 2019 at 9:26 AM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    Try here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/forty2skates?li=pb
    Lots of options, designed by a member here, including a blank panel that you can cut yourself for any switch.

9. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:25 AM
    orion808

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Interior LEDs Hardwired DashCam/Extra USB Black "Tacoma" on tailgate Blackened Badges Nerf Bars Mud Guards Rear Diff. Breather Mod Plasti-dipped Grille Glovebox Vinyl LED Bed Lights LED soft glow flooring accent lights Custom switches Diamondback Tonneau 3rd Bed Rail Sill Protectors w/ Vinyl Tweeter Upgrades Tint windows Husky Floor Mats Molle Panel behind seats Speaker Upgrades Anytime Camera Mod w/ Secondary Rear Camera Plan: Clazzios 2-3" Lift
    I'm not sure what it is honestly. I'm not getting power on the black side of the rear override harness. Therefore, the whole system is down.

I need to check the fuses to make sure i didn't trip one. I need to check the back of my dpdt switch to ensure nothing worked loose. I also need to make sure the black and red wire from the override harness didn't pull loose from the harness itself. But, alas...i have to head to work and it remaining on more yesterday before i could test.

It was working fine before i pulled my switch panel to fully install. I'll get it done.

10. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:35 AM
    thechamper

thechamper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Vehicle:
    '09 PreRunner SR5 Sport DCLB
    Growing list, see build thread...
    Has anyone tried this mod with a trailer? I don't really care about the front camera, but would like to have this switch with trailer camera.

11. Jan 24, 2019 at 12:16 PM
    orion808

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    That would work fine. You'd be using the "front" as a trailer cam. The only thing that runs from the radio to the camera is the RCA video and power for the cam. Make a waterproof box that you can hide under the truck near the trailer hitch that would house the connections. Would be simple enough.

Papadave418[OP] likes this.
  12. Jan 24, 2019 at 12:43 PM
    orion808

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I had enough time before work and figured this out a bit, but I need confirmation from someone that knows more than me.

• My wiring is correct.
    • All grounds are working.
    • There is continuity on the black wire from the override harness...so I didn't pull it out or damage it like I assumed.
    • There is no power from the override harness.
    • When checking the upper left most pin on the back of the radio, there is no power.
    • All fuses are working, however, slight oddity on one of them and not sure why.
      • It's called "short fuse" between the Radio No 1 and Radio No 2 in the hood's fuse panel.
      • Short fuse (20A) sometimes wasn't showing continuity while in it's holder, but always shows continuity when pulled out of holder. It was the only fuse I tested that was doing so.
      • If short fuse is removed, all radio functions cease. So I don't think this fuse is my issue.
    • Radio works fine otherwise and I show power on other pins (some 5V, some 10V, some none as expected).
    • When I use a 9V battery to act as the power and ground, all works as intended.

Any help is appreciated. I might just run a separate hot to override the hot that is supposed to come from the radio. I can't think of a negative, so please inform if any of you think otherwise. I'd pick a fuse that was only on when the truck was on and use an add-a-fuse to fuse it correctly.

Thanks in advance.

13. Jan 24, 2019 at 1:33 PM
    Tocamo

Tocamo .

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Bug-out vehicle
    Ya, I just wish that harness was just a "front camera override harness". Nothing more.

14. Jan 24, 2019 at 3:57 PM
    orion808

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Well, I guess I tripped a fuse. I got in to drive to head to work and noticed several things not working. Have to track it down this weekend. If any know which fuse I tripped, feel free to chime in...

Currently not working:
    • TPMS (not pulling up and error light shows)
    • Airbag (not wanting to test this, but lit up on dash)
    • A/C
    • Heated Seats
    • Windows
    Unsure if there are more, but this is what I quickly noticed. Kinda laughing at the moment, but would also like this working before the excitement wears off.

Papadave418[OP] likes this.
  15. Jan 24, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    r6chan

r6chan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Johnson City, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR/wTech-Package
    How do you change the color format?? Example:: How many clicks on the one button control?

16. Jan 24, 2019 at 6:20 PM
    ZKH

ZKH Well-Known Member

Member:
    northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD-OR DCLB A/T 4x4 BBP Prem+Tech
    I'm liking the looks of this option. Leads on to another question. The cubby panel I'm looking at has two switch holes, but I will only be using one right now. Where can I find an economical switch hole cover for the unused 22x32mm hole?

17. Jan 24, 2019 at 8:02 PM
    Slashaar

Slashaar Trail Limo Supreme & Certified Hole Massager

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-Sport DC LB
    Coastal HC Front, 6112s+650lb King Coils, JD 62 Swap + 14" Fox 2.0s
    Work for 2nd gen?

Edit: Website says 2014+ so I'd wager yes.

18. Jan 24, 2019 at 9:47 PM
    Papadave418

Member:
    I get that. I look at it this way, Brian is a normal guy who developed this product as a side business, and compared to other products it’s a good price. Plus you never know when you might like to peek at the rear. I don’t tow much and honestly I will check the rear once in awhile just to make sure I put the tail gate up :)

Tocamo[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jan 24, 2019 at 9:49 PM
    Papadave418

Member:
    Check Amazon, I remember seeing them awhile ago

20. Jan 25, 2019 at 6:15 AM
    DerekV87

DerekV87 MT native exploring the wilds in the Tacoma.

Member:
    Livingston Mt
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road Cement
    Xenon Dept HID Kit TRD Pro Grill TRD Pro 17" Wheels BFG KO2 265/70/17 De-badged Leer 180 Topper Topper LED lights Bed Platform LED Bulbs everywhere except interior Clazzio Leather Seat Covers OCD Center Console and Glove organizers Phone Mount found on Etsy Ultra Gauge Subaru Tweeter Upgrade AC Drain Mod Yellow Fog Light Bulb Bed Rug Tailgate Cover
    Installed the new anytime switch. Didn’t realize from others reviews that the non-matching blue is always lit. This is already annoying me. I have the brightness turn way down on the dash lights to save the night vision and this blue is about 2x as bright as the rest of the dash. Sucks I feel this switch is 75% with this defect and the lighting of both indicators when using the front.

To give the switch some credit, it looks awesome and OEM other than the color. I am now debating if I should use my other rocker switch in the left side cubby un-lit were it’s more hidden or try to get use to this switch which looks cheap due to the lighting.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top