1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anytimebackupcamera.com Install- Front and Rear Cameras

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Papadave418, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Sep 15, 2019 at 12:49 PM
    cruxx

cruxx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Huy
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    From my understanding, the diode is only neccesary when you install 2 switches. A single dpdt switch does not need diode and i believe there has only been a single type of diode used

2. Sep 15, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    mutely

mutely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Pro in metallic primer
    Diode is to stop you powering the reverse lights through the harness. In stock wiring form "Camera on", a 12v single is sent to the headhunt from the reverse lights, to tell the HU to "switch camera on". To fake this, so the head unit switches to camera, you simply apply 12v to that wire from a different source. But, doing that will back-power the reverse lights, so a diode is used to stop that happening.

If the diode is buggered, it'll stop the true reverse signal getting to the HU from the reverse lights and you'll get the symptom you describe, reverse camera doesn't work when putting it into reverse.

Ultimately, as you've found out a diode is probably not the best way to achieve this with the Tacoma's finicky wiring, a simple double throw on/on switch would be far superior. Simply wire the HU to the common terminal, and reverse light to one of the ON terminals, and the constant 12+ (fake) to the other ON terminal. That way no diode and physical brake in the wiring back to the reverse lamps.

3. Oct 5, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    Dillionday

Dillionday Member

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR
    As of right now, the wiring harness you get with the full kit will not fit the connectors on a 2020 Tacoma because the head unit has changed. I have emailed anytimebackupcamera.com and asked about a fix. I will reply if anything changes.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Tocamo likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top