1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Apple CarPlay

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacomonazul, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Sep 6, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    tacomonazul

tacomonazul [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    SOCAL
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB LT/4LINK
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/227832-my-never-end-build.html
    Just saw this new stereo from apple called apple carplay, looks awesome. It says its available on 2014 models from ferrari, honda, hyundai, mercedes benz and volvo. And soon as an aftermarket system

[​IMG]

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

2. Sep 6, 2014 at 9:17 PM
    ZenkaiTaco

ZenkaiTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD OR
    Yep looks great. Eventually I want to get one. Pioneer already has head units with carplay and Alpine should have theirs very soon if they haven't already.

3. Sep 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    Got my nex4000 installed a couple weeks ago... cant wait to hear more tomorrow about the new phones and there should be some talk about Carplay.

My only fear (and i know my shit... quite qualified to speak on apple products) is that a main goal will be to "keep us safe and off our phones while driving"... so i believe the phone will be "killed" when plugged in using Carplay (the phone just says "Carplay" and you cant use it while plugged in). This means that if Carplay doesnt do what you need to do, you just cannot do it. An example that i believe will suck for me, is using spotify and trying to find a new artist. Normally i would just type in the artist (while stopped or somewhere safe of course) and find my song. However carplay will not have a keyboard, everything is done thru Siri. HOPEFULLY, they will let you find an artist in the spotify app by Siri, but i fear they may not.

Long story short, i think there will be some major limitations to Carplay, but will still be sweet. I still spent 700 dollars on it to find out, mainly BC i needed a new head unit for my truck anyway...

4. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    harley3

harley3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Lexington KY
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Redline Tuning Elite Hood Lifts, Weathertechs, Black Devil Horns (thank you Andres), G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors (thank you Greg), interior LED lights, Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, Kenwood 700w amp, Alpine door speakers tweeters and sub, SuperCrewSounds single sub box
    Pioneer has units that work with Carplay, I have the AVH-4000NEX, but Carplay has still not been released yet. The firmware update was to be released in the spring 2014 and now their site says Summer 2014 but it is still not out yet.

5. Sep 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM
    ranger098

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    Wouldnt it be nice if you could hit the "Mode" button on the nex4000 and have your backup cam come on? I never use that button and i think they should make it do more than it does.

6. Sep 8, 2014 at 10:08 AM
    harley3

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Lexington KY
    Vehicle:
    Redline Tuning Elite Hood Lifts, Weathertechs, Black Devil Horns (thank you Andres), G-Tek Fab Door Sill Protectors (thank you Greg), interior LED lights, Pioneer AVH-4000NEX, Kenwood 700w amp, Alpine door speakers tweeters and sub, SuperCrewSounds single sub box
  7. Sep 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    harley3

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Lexington KY
    Vehicle:
    I have had the exact same thought. I really haven't done much with the unit yet other than music via bluetooth. I really need to take the time to dive into it. I probably will once Carplay is on it and working.

8. Sep 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM
    Sugar Silva

Sugar Silva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Kings Sliders TRD Rock Warrior Wheels Tint
    Hopefully, carplay will be added via firmware update to existing Entune systems in the near future

9. Sep 8, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    ranger098

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    I doubt this would happen, unless entune head units have a dual core processor

10. Sep 9, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Yeah, Pioneer has a habit of annoucing firmware and then the release is well after the announced date. I have been think of upgrading my HU, but will not buy Pioneer based on "firmware is coming".

Products Discussed in

To Top