1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Apr x1 replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by platinumb, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nov 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM

platinumb [OP] Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    First Name:
    11 TRD OR DC Supercharged
    supercharger, focal/jl audio sound system, trd cat back
    I got this e mail from urd recently it is supposed to be a replacement since the apr x1 hasn't been available. Knowing urd it is probably going to be better.

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here

First things first. URD would like to convey our sincere apologies for allowing our supercharger systems for the Toyota 1GR-FE applications to become temporarily unavailable. We have now solved this problem.

URD has relied on a specific engine management system (EMS) with special features that allowed us to push the power envelope while doing it safely. The unfortunate reality is that the company supplying these advanced systems suddenly and without warning ended production while promising URD that more units would be coming shortly...
    When those promised units were never delivered URD began to search for a suitable replacement.

The problem was that there was nothing, and I mean nothing, on the market that could meet our specific needs. URD issued an RFP (request for product) to several big name manufacturers asking them to develop, produce, and supply URD with an EMS. No company was up for the task EXCEPT ONE.

Over the last year, iTronix and URD have labored away designing a completely new hardware/software platform with exhaustive testing so that we achieved the OEM level reliability that was demanded. The end result has led to the development of the most advanced aftermarket EMS available for YOUR Toyota truck.

It is called UCON-EMS (Universal CONtroller).

In a nut-shell the UCON is basically a standalone system that works in tandem with the stock engine control unit (ECU) so that all OBD (on board diagnostics) and control functions are preserved. At the same time, the UCON’s complete control allows our supercharger systems to drive and perform like a true OEM system – without compromise.

The first version to be released will be the UCON Flex series that uses cutting edge technology in its design like flexible circuit boards, self-tuning AFR, engine protecting safe guards, and some more really cool features that are still in the works. Information on those developments will follow later with other newsletters.

URD has negotiated exclusive marketing and manufacturing rights to the UCON so that we can guarantee support and availability. Initially, the UCON will only be available in new URD supercharger kits until the back orders are filled. Once that is done, we will unleash the UCON for other applications.

The first official UCON release is for the
    Toyota 1GR-FE engine platform found in :

2005-2008 Tacoma
    2005-2009 4Runner
    2007-2009 FJ Cruiser

Other applications will follow soon after to include the 2003-2004 4Runner, 2005-2006 Tundra V8 and late model 3UR-FE 5.7L.

Forward emai
  2. Mar 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

dvd0020 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    First Name:
    38.678705, -104.689001
    08 Off Road Double Cab
    TRD supercharger, 4.88 gears, Doug Thorley long tube headers, aFe stage II intake, Pro Comp 6" DB lift, Procomp 17" wheels, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5 MTs, NST lightweight pulleys, Morimoto mini projector retrofit for Spyder headlights, Cobra CB, 4' Fire stick, Pioneer AVIC-U310BT head unit, 2 10" alpine S, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, custom Colorado pinstripes
    Just received an email from gadget. Was looking at getting the MAF calibrator with the smaller pulley for my trd s/c. Unfortunately it turns out that the maf calibrator will not work after getting my reflash done by toyota... Bad on me for lack of research.

He informed me that this uconn flex will be available on urd's site next week. It will be $1495. It will also include new cam gears like the x-1. It will come with a pre-loaded configuration and will be self-tunable after that. Also like the x-1. Sounds like a great substitute since apr will not supply any more of their units. This will also work if you have already received the reflash from Toyota and you still need to tune.
To Top