1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB Compressor Mounting Schemes?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by tomtom, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    tomtom

tomtom [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    OME lift w/ 882s and Dakar leaf packs, Elite front and rear bumpers, Rocky Road Rock Sliders
    I may put it in that spot for now until I can get the shelf built. Tired of having paid for a front locker and still running it open.

2. Jun 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    the Pacific Northwest, Exploring
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    King ET Coilovers Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate Trail Gear U-bolt Flip Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker OBA ARB Twin Comp 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights Lightforce 170s Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Optima Yellow Top battery Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines K&N Drop-in air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Uniden 520xl CB radio 3’ Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1” Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    FWIW, there is room for the twin ARB if you don't have ABS. :D It is a tight fit. We did have to move the control module and cruise controller over a bit to make enough room.

[​IMG]

3. Jun 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    TRIAD Powderworks

TRIAD Powderworks Powder Coater/ Dirt Thrower

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    San Diego CA.
    Vehicle:
    97 LT 5 Lugger
    Just wanted to let you know I have now spent the entire day at work watching these videos...

I will now sell my LT 2WD and buy a 4WD and armor the shit out of it..

4. Jun 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    BigOly

BigOly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD DC V6 SR5 4WD
    lol, I'm on my lunch break right now and too scared to revisit that site. Productivity here will go way down if I do :p

5. Jun 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    tomtom

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    OME lift w/ 882s and Dakar leaf packs, Elite front and rear bumpers, Rocky Road Rock Sliders
    Tonight I did another hour's worth of work. Took the metal I already bent and cut it down a little and drilled holes for the side bolts:

[​IMG]

And so two mounting options available, 1.:

[​IMG]

and 2.:

[​IMG]

I like #2 better. Now, just have to figure out how to anchor it on the wheel well, make better measurements and fab up the end product.

I'm still looking at putting it on the firewall like BigOly posted but I'm perplexed as to how they did it. Going to see if there is a write-up for it.

6. Jun 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    tomtom

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    Hmmm, reading the paperwork on the compressor, I can rotate the manifold to re-orient the solenoid and pressure holes relative to each other. This solves one riddle.

I'm still attempting to figure out how the compressor shown sits so low. I wonder if they cut the pinch seam. When I hold mine in the same position, the mounting feet touch the hood seal.

7. Jun 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    hmmm good luck haha

8. Jun 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    tomtom

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    I think I found my solution. Was over at Silas' and checking out the latest trail wear from Moab. Peaked into his engine bay to check how he routed his locker air line. Noticed a module sitting in the big open space I have. Looks to be a cruise control unit. Anyways, it is sitting on this nice, heavy duty bracket. So, I'm off to the dealership tomorrow to order the bracket and I'll deform it into a nice shelf.

Should've snapped a picture while I was there. Maybe if he stops by later to check out the new skidplate.

9. Jun 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    tomtom

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    Part No. 88291-04020, just ordered it. Hopefully it'll be here by the weekend and can get this going again.

10. Jun 14, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    tomtom

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
  11. Jun 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    tomtom

Member:
    The Desert SW
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD
    Test fit the cruise control bracket:

[​IMG]

And the compressor:
    [​IMG]

Have to do some trimming on the bracket and possibly cutting and bending but going to work.

12. Dec 28, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    Know I'm way late to the game... but for what it's worth, I was thinking I'd put it there when I ordered it, but when I got it, it's way too heavy to put there without putting nuts on the other side of the metal... I ended up putting it in the same place the OP did, but just shared a bolt with the electronic unit right next to it (toward the front of the truck), and drilled on more hole and bolted it... easy installation.

13. Dec 29, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, stock gears, stock-size tires, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, CB
  14. Dec 29, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    bry838

bry838 Well-Known Member

Member:
    oregon
    Vehicle:
    00 tacoma 2.7 4x4 reg cab
    Are the ARB's not reliable???

15. Dec 29, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, stock gears, stock-size tires, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, CB
    At least twice, I've seen guys on the Rubicn with a failed ARB compressor. Really pissed off, with all the money they spent on the locker, and can't use it. This was many years ago, so maybe the units are better now.

16. Apr 2, 2015 at 6:25 PM
    dirtymike420

dirtymike420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    TuRD off oad
    So what happened?

To Top