1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARB or Fab Fours?

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Deviated88, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Jul 7, 2015 at 7:26 PM
    Deviated88

Deviated88 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma TRD Sport
    I searched but I didn't find a comparison thread, this would be my first bumper and I want to get my money worth from what I buy. Been doing some research but I'm on the fence between the two companies. Anyone who has either want to give me a few pros and cons if any. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jul 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    If I had to choose between the 2 I'd go with an ARB all day.

3. Aug 2, 2015 at 11:10 AM
    copenhagen

copenhagen Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 SIX SPEED MANUAL AC
    I was leaning towards Fab Fours because they are made right here in Dixie, a friend in Cali has one, and you can get a matching rear bumper (not so with ARB).

Then, my cousin's husband, who manages a 4x4 store in NC, told me that the ARB has better fit with less trouble than the Fab Fours.

Needless to say, I prefer the look of the Fab Fours, so I'm really curious to hear from people who have actually owned/have experience with both.

4. Aug 2, 2015 at 11:25 AM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    You probably won't find anyone with experience with both, not a lot of people go from one aftermarket bumper to another. But both the ARB and Fab Fours are super heavy, you will need heavy duty springs on the front or your truck will turn into a bulldozer.

5. Aug 2, 2015 at 11:25 AM
    copenhagen

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Thanks- I already have the OME heavy kit. I'm sure somebody has experience with both.

6. Aug 2, 2015 at 11:32 AM
    Theloden

Theloden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Boyne, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '20 4Runner SR5
    I've been looking into bumpers and my only concern with the Fab Four bumper is how much of the cooling system it leaves exposed.

[​IMG]

I feel like a rouge limb could slide past that winch plate pretty easy and turn your day from fun to awful pretty quick.

UssMoGn likes this.
  7. Aug 2, 2015 at 11:37 AM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    It can accommodate a winch that will fill that space in, most 10K winches will take up all of those holes.

Theloden[QUOTED] and Sje1124 like this.
  8. Aug 2, 2015 at 11:48 AM
    Theloden

Theloden Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Boyne, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    '20 4Runner SR5
    Didn't think about that, makes me feel better about researching that bumper a little more.

9. Aug 2, 2015 at 11:58 AM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    Both are extremely heavy. If you're getting these or pretty much any aftermarket bumper, you better look into getting aftermarket coilovers as well.

Fab Fours 185 #
    ARB 175 #

10. Aug 2, 2015 at 12:12 PM
    SixthSnail

SixthSnail I have no idea what I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    When I was looking at getting my bumper, I was between Fab Fours and ARB.

I later decided I wanted a hybrid due to weight so I got neither but I did a lot of research on both.

I saw very few complaints with the ARB bumper. If there were bad reviews it was becuase they didn't like how heavy it was or something like that. Don't buy it if you don't want a heavy bumper... Duh.

The Fab Fours had quite a few negative encounters with fitment. People complained about gaps that shouldn't be there. A lot of people complained about the open space but that could be fixed with a winch. I didn't want a winch. Other complaints were about the fog light design which again they just shouldn't have bought it if they didn't like that.

There were a lot of positive for both. I just noticed more negative for Fab Fours.

11. Aug 2, 2015 at 12:19 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    Just go hybrid. 70# brute force

image.jpg

12. Aug 2, 2015 at 12:20 PM
    SixthSnail

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    Agreed.

68DA1E6D-FA3C-4948-855B-C4C025F73666_b30f7e29ada63ac40bf07eadfce011208c04912b.jpg

13. Aug 2, 2015 at 5:57 PM
    copenhagen

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I'm really interested to see more thoughts on the Fab Fours vs ARB. As nifty as I think your tubular bumper looks, it just won't work for me. I don't think the op was asking about hybrid bumpers either. Seems he was pretty specific.

14. Aug 2, 2015 at 6:07 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    The Fab Fours is extremely heavy garbage, the design has a lot of flaws. I had their front and rear bumpers for a few months and returned them for a full refund due to the design flaws :

Front Bumper :

1. Twice the weight of other brands
    2. Mounts slip when you actually use a winch, instead of bolting directly on the frame the bumper mounts to its own separate mounts that are adjustable about an inch up/down and in/out...the minute you use a winch it pulls out of position.
    3. It is massive and kills approach angle / ground clearance..the thing is a giant flat air dam.

Rear Bumper :

1. also slips on it's mounts, it literally will not stay in place if you have a full size spare on the tire gate.
    2. Tire gate is made of tube and is very flexible.
    3. Bumper itself flexed horribly with tire gate open.

I highly suggest that you look at Pelfrybilt or CBI both are far superior products to FF and ARB and are far far better looking as well. Both CBI and Pelfy make matching front and rears.

copenhagen likes this.
  15. Aug 2, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    redtacoma88

redtacoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John Austin
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    See Build Page...
    Between the two, 100% go with ARB.

....but...... Brute Force Fab FTW

NorthwestCruiser and SixthSnail like this.
  16. Aug 2, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    adriancast

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Well judging that he has a brand new 2015 and his post count he is new to the Tacoma. Giving options and opinions to think about before spending $1,000 on a bumper. Also, I don't think he asked about your thoughts on a hybrid bumper.

17. Aug 2, 2015 at 6:36 PM
    SixthSnail

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    '14 Tacoma Sport
    See Build in Sig
    That's why I gave a whole write up on both of the bumpers before sharing my hybrid...

Edit:
    I can't spell write......

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    Deviated88[OP] likes this.
  18. Aug 2, 2015 at 7:03 PM
    Deviated88

Deviated88 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma TRD Sport
    I appreciate everyone's input, I just want to get the facts about the bumpers because if I dish out the money it better be worth every penny lol. No need to get at each other here fellas haha, since I'm still pretty new I just wanted everyone's thoughts. Shit, even tell me what bumpers you guys are running and how you like it.

19. Aug 3, 2015 at 8:08 PM
    HackD

HackD Marching to the Beat of a Different Drum

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, eh?
    Vehicle:
    2010 Base 4x2, 2.7L, 5 speed manual 5-lug Slug
    Gone over the Top for a 5-lug..
    Thoughts on the ARB: based on a very unconventional install on a vehicle that will never see off-road. Mine is a humble 2wd 5sp 2.7l 5lug that is being armored up to address other peoples piss-poor parking AND driving skills in a congested region. In effect, i am putting together a poor-man's inter-urban assault commuter. No winch installed, or expected to be installed. This install was done by myself, this weekend. I am competent with motorcycle level mechanics and fabrication. Normally, i prefer to leave vehicle repairs and installation to professionals - this time, i had no financial choice, related to unexpected additional costs related to stock parts needing to be replaced before their time. I had no difficulty with the install using air-tools, only with dealing with the weight of some of the components, as i did the install largely alone.

It's massive. Very well built, Except for some shipping damage that was rectified with brute force persuasion, the fitment was precise. There are paint/powdercoat flaws, with paint sag build-ups noted in several spots on lower edges. There are minor nicks/scratches in the bumper - likely there before the bumper was wrapped and packed. It was packed in enough materials to fill 4 garbage bags. It is HEAVY. My vehicle can cope with it as-is, barely .. but will need a complete suspension/lift replacement, almost immediately (in the works). Front end clearance is more than adequate, as it's a higher-mount bumper, on a relatively low Tacoma variation. Would i recommend it? with a few reservations already noted. Am i pleased with form, function, and appearance? Most definitely.

FWIW.

20. Aug 21, 2015 at 8:24 PM
    NMHunter

NMHunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NM
    Vehicle:
    05 and 22 tacoma
    Just a couple
    I had a very nice woman back into my front arb in her Toyota corrola. It totaled her car. Left a small scratch in my ARB bumper.

ARBs are Easy to install great looking, but heavy. Also made in Australia vs US. They should be coming down in price due to Australian dollar loosing ground to US dollar, but someone is pocketing spread assuming they were not hedged because the consumer isn't seeing it.

I personally like the looks of the Fab Four and I know they make an awesome product, but have never had the pleasure of owning one. I used to work behind their shop in Durango and they are a great bunch of guys.

I am sure either one would work great assuming you upgraded your suspension to handle the extra weight.

Products Discussed in

To Top