1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are Icon 2.0 extended travel long enough for my setup?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Pirhett, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Mar 23, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    Pirhett

Pirhett [OP] Instagram @pirhett_ship

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4 DCLB MGM
    Stock...
    Hey guys,

Trying to figure out if my rear shocks are right for my suspension set up...

I have those Icon 2.0 with resi extended travel, with ome dakars, and archive garage shackle flip.

Is anyone else running this setup?

I know that after pulling these shocks off I was curious if they are long enough for the amount of lift gained from both leafs and shackle flip. Online they say 0-1.5" of lift but wanted to make sure without having to go through the trouble of measuring and such.

Thanks in advance and once answered Ill request this thread deleted as not to clog up the millions of suspension setup questions!

:thumbsup:

2. Mar 23, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    If you have the extended travel 2.0 rears (Icon ext rear: 26.8 ext and 15.9 comp 9.9” of travel), they should be long enough, but best to measure your truck to be sure. If you have the off the shelf 2.0 rears rated for 0-1.5" (basically stock replacements), they're probably a little short.

3. Mar 23, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    Pirhett

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Stock...
    I have extended travel but I'll take your advice and measure!

4. Mar 23, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    Pirhett

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Stock...
    Thanks to whatever mod changed the title!!!

5. Mar 23, 2017 at 11:45 PM
    tetten

tetten Cynical Twat Waffle

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Socal
    Jack up the rear end of your truck and put jack stands under your frame leaving the axle suspended by the leafs.
    Remove the lower shock mount bolt.
    If your leaf pack droops down anymore your shocks are acting as a limit strap and every time you droop out you are fatiguing/damaging them.

Also you should figure out exactly which part number for the shocks you are using. If you indeed got the shocks for 1.5" of lift they are probably way too short.

6. Mar 24, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    Icons have built in protection from being over-extended, so don't worry about it if you don't want to spend money on new shocks.

7. Mar 24, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    Pirhett

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Stock...
    oh seriously? Thats pretty epic! Is that only Icon?

8. Mar 24, 2017 at 8:24 AM
    Cougars

Cougars Well-Known Member

Member:
    Its pretty much every suspension manufacturer. On oem setups the shock is almost always the extended travel limit.

Pirhett[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Mar 24, 2017 at 9:13 AM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    It's an bonus feature they don't advertise. not sure if anyone else does? quite a few have protection from being compressed, but not extended.
    The suspension travel is usually the factor in stock setup, not the shock. If it was the oem shocks, a lot of us have been wasting money on changing suspension parts to get more travel, when all we really needed were longer shocks?

10. Mar 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM
    tetten

tetten Cynical Twat Waffle

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Socal
    Suspension component manufacturers assume the components are being installed in a proper set up, and in this case, if you really do have a shock for 1.5" of lift, it is not the right shock for your set up. Shocks are made for dampening, not routinely supporting the weight of a axle+wheel+tire while offroading in a mismatched suspension set up. When you fully extend a shock this is exactly what is happening. This is one of the reasons limit straps exist. I would recommend you call Icon and ask directly.

11. Mar 24, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    Pirhett

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Stock...
    Once the come back from downsouth from a rebuild Ill check out the serial number and get it sorted.

Worse case I can sell the freshly remade icons and some big boy king 12" with bamf relocation

12. Mar 24, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    3slowto4woah

3slowto4woah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    Icon Stage 4 + Dakars
    I actually did call Icon on this. I have the Icon progressive leaf pack and wanted to upgrade to Dakars. The person on the phone said they will "work" but you are limiting your droop.

Perhaps consider taking a leaf out?

13. Mar 24, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    Pirhett

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhett
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Stock...
    possibly or maybe Ill go back to stock shackle or something

14. Mar 24, 2017 at 3:34 PM
    Cougars

Member:
    Shocks are certainly designed to support the weight of an axle+wheel+tire. On the tacoma, the shock is the droop travel limiter for the rear. In static applications it would appear that the leaf spring is the droop travel limit. However once you get the suspension cycling under reasonable rebound velocities the spring will continue to flex past the static limit and t will stop flexing at the shock limit.

Pirhett[OP] likes this.
  15. Mar 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Wrong! They are called "shock absorbers" for a reason. The do just that, they DO NOT support the weight of the vehicle, that is what the springs do.
    On a STOCK tacoma, unhook the rear shock, and it will travel just a little farther than the springs. Therefore, the springs are the limiting factor on a stock setup. If you lift it with stock shocks, than the shock will be too short and be the limiting factor.

16. Mar 24, 2017 at 4:42 PM
    Cougars

Member:
    The springs support the weight of the frame/body (sprung mass) and related components from the wheels/axles (unsprung mass). You read one part of my post, took it out of context, and then did not comprehend any further. I did not state that they support the weight of the entire vehicle. What was stated was that under dynamic suspension loading the springs can move past their static droop point. What ultimately stops suspension extension in the rear is the shock. When the shock stops this extension it is supporting the wheels+axle+tires along with some help from the spring.

When you take the shock off the vehicle on a stock Tacoma and flex the rear out to its static droop point the spring is supporting the weight of the axle/wheels/tires (mass*gravity). Lets call this droop value distance X. However, in the real world this system is not static. Once this system is moving the spring has to support the static weight of the axle/wheel/tires(mass*gravity) along with any additional acceleration. The sum of the forces then becomes mass*(gravity+additional instantaneous acceleration). So our new force is GREATER than just the weight of the components at full droop. Because this new force is GREATER than the static force at distance X. Our new distance becomes X+Y. Since Y is not a negative value, X+Y > X. This distance X+Y is then limited by the shock extension. Thus, the shock is made to support axle/wheel/tire loads.

Before you call people out as wrong regarding suspension i suggest you do some more reading. I bet you think the shock isnt the droop limiter for the front suspension as well. That also supports the weight of the wheels/tires at full droop. The spring isnt doing shit for you in the front at full droop except for extending the shock.

17. Mar 24, 2017 at 4:42 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    If they haven't started the rebuild, maybe give them a shout to see what length they are, and have them customize the length?

Products Discussed in

To Top