1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ARE or LEER Caps

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Tommo, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jul 28, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    Tommo

Tommo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    base 4X4
    Any one have experience with recently made ARE or LEER caps for 09 Tacoma regular cab? Thanks very much in advance for any information.

2. Jul 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Mine's not so recent, but here's my $.02.

I have an 08 DC Sport 4x4 and I looked at both Leer and ARE. I wasn't leaning toward either manufacturer, but in the end I choose Leer. Bottom line.... the Leer was a bit less expensive then the ARE, at least in my area anyway.

I bought my Leer 100XQ from the dealer in Hanover, PA.

I would recommend going to the Leer and ARE websites and finding the dealers in your area. Check out both, and get pricing from both on comparable models. The decide.

3. Jul 28, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    Stretch's Toy

Stretch's Toy Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Chula Vista
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab long bed
    I just bought a Leer for my '10 Sport. Last three caps were Leers. Check for best prices, most dealers for any shell will drop their prices if you work them a little. Especially now with the $$$ crunch going on.

4. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I have the ARE on my 05(added in 05) & haven't had any issues. It still works great. The craftsmanship is spot on. Great quality!

5. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    Koov

Koov Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRDOR
    I have owned a Leer and a Snugtop in the past. The Leer was cheaper and I have had no problems with either top. I currently have a 2006 Leer and love it. I would recommend the Leer.

6. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    wtbthree

wtbthree Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    3" Revtek lift, 17" FJ rims, 285 BFG KO's, sunroof, TRD piping, Wickedflow muffler, Avid step rails TRD supercharger,
    Just got a ARE on my '10, and its just what I needed, a lot cheaper than the snugtop and a bit cheaper then Leer as I remember, the build quality is quite good

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Just bought a Leer 100R with vented windoors on the sides. No complaints. I did not like the ARE's locking setup on the rear door. Too much plastic. I have not had it in the rain yet, but I just washed it and checked for leaks. The only place it leaked was at a seam in the aluminum window frame on the left window. The opposite side has silicone in that same place and does not leak. I am planning to silicone the seam and I expect that will take care of it. I found one tiny imperfection in the paint on the roof also, but I am being very picky when I say imperfection. The paint match is perfect. The drop down front slider and the side windoors with the vents are worth the extra money.

8. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    I've had a few ARE caps and like them.I've got a utility cap from them on my F-250 for work and after 7 yrs. of hauling ladders,tools etc. Its holding up great.Had it painted to match the truck when I ordered it and it was a perfect match.Paint is holding up as well as the truck's.

9. Jul 29, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    Tommo

Tommo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    base 4X4
    Thanks very much to everyone for your responses, very helpful!

10. Jul 29, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    Tacovendor

Tacovendor Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    4x4x4cyl
    Just wait!
    I have a Leer 100R, I had a removable front window so I can clean the cab window. Also had a windoor put in on the drivers side, this is a great option the access the camper w/o opening the back, had the Thule roof tracks installed for roof top hauling.

11. Aug 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    Silver06Taco

Silver06Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA state
    Vehicle:
    Silver 06 DC TRD Sport
    I just bought a Leer 100XR a little over a month ago. The Leer was a few hundred less than the ARE in my area. The only thing I dislike about it is the little dome light inside the canopy...not bright at all. All that means though is that I get to wire up some LED strips for the bed!

12. Aug 7, 2010 at 12:41 AM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Here is my ARE "Z" series. Have owned it a few months and have had zero issues. I like the hidden hinge on the rear door. I also thought that the locking handle on the "Z" series was much more secure than the LEER. Maybe that is just me.

To each his own....buy what makes you happy. But know this they are not cheap. Good luck

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top