1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are swampers really that bad on road?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by chad68, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Jan 4, 2008 at 7:06 PM
    chad68

chad68 [OP] Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Hey guys.

I am trying to find as many reviews of swampers as I can. What I'm looking at right now is the LTB's. They are a bias ply tire and from what I can tell they flat spot if parked for a while (even overnight), which is my main concern but normal for that type of tire. Suposidly they go back to normal after about 15 minutes of driving. Just wondering how horrible the flat spots actually are and the vibrations they create before and after the spot goes away?

I'm also trying to figure out what kind of mileage I might get from these, with mostly pavement pounding? Most of that is just around town. I only live about 1/2 mile from work, so there is no commuting. On long drives I will be driving my car (see avatar). The only freeway miles would be to and from the trails which is a 1 hour drive each way and would probably be no more than twice a month.

The main reason I am interested in these is because I want an aggressive mud tire, since it will be a mud toy and in my size I can get these for $120 each, plus I have a $100 gift card. So i was thinking of waiting till they go on sale for buy 3 get one free which they do every so often or free shipping.

The worst milage review I found said somenody would be lucky to get 10,000 miles out of them, while another said 25-30,000. I don't buy the 30,000 at all but I would be very happy if they lasted 15,000 miles at that price. If I get them on sale and they just totally suck, it's not a huge loss. I can just try something more mild and a radial.

I know they are loud but then others say they are not as loud as other BFG tires. Basically for every person that says one thing, somebody will say the opposite. LOL

Anyway if anybody has any feedback, would be helpfull.

Thanks

Chad

2. Jan 5, 2008 at 6:25 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I don't have a pair but a guy I work with does, on a 99 Chevy ext. cab. Yes they flat spot, about 15 mins of driving they go normal, off road they do well, on road they suck. Huge highway song, big vibration, so now everything in that chevy is loose or has fallen off, even the head liner. Snow and rain is a real problem, once a few thousand miles are on the tires they lose the "cutting" or "biting" edge. Once the edges are rounded it's down hill from there and now all you have is a loud bumpy tire.

3. Jan 5, 2008 at 8:37 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
  4. Jan 5, 2008 at 8:48 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    those look really nice! excellent choice..... if you don't mind me askin, how much are those?

5. Jan 6, 2008 at 6:47 AM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    From this site which I will end up buying tires from, since that's where my gift card is for, they are $192. But they often have great deals on their stuff, if you can wait, like buy 3 get 4th free, 10% off and or free shipping etc..
    http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT2881T100045.aspx

6. Jan 6, 2008 at 6:54 AM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Man tires are getting out of hand, I went out pricing yesterday, Nitto Dura Grabblers (street tire) 205 each ! :eek: WTF ! It's getting to the point where your going to drop $800-1000 on a set of name brands, looks like I'm going to go to the off shore products. :(

7. Jan 6, 2008 at 7:38 AM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    i know what you mean!!!!!!!!!!! i forget the original price of mine, but they cut me a deal and did $801 installed and ballanced, and lifetime rotation. i think it was gonna be 800 or 850 + ball. + install + tax not 100% sure on that price tho

8. Jan 6, 2008 at 7:46 AM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    I just thought of something, do think it would be cool to have a place on this forum to store information like tire milage of brands, i.e LJackson owned a set of 4 Cooper sst, mostly street, 2wd and got 33,315 miles before replacement ... I don't know, Im just talking out loud.

9. Jan 6, 2008 at 7:50 AM
    L_Jackson

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    not a bad idea at all. most of us 2nd gen probably haven't worn out tires, but we could comment on pro's and con's of current tires..... and some of 1st gen people on here could give actual tire life

10. Jan 6, 2008 at 9:00 AM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    It's not our forum but a kick ass place for 4x4 tire reviews!

You guys think $800 is a lot for a set of tires? The fronts on my Z are about $320 each shipped and mounted and the rears are $370 each shipped and mounted. For me $190 is a bargain for tires:)

http://www.offroaders.com

I tried to post the direct link but it didn't work. Scroll down and on the far left side of this home page, click on "mud tires"

11. Jan 6, 2008 at 11:27 AM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Chad, I'm going to look there just for fun, that's a lot of money for tires, but I am trying to watch my funds while the funds are still coming in.

12. Jan 13, 2008 at 4:48 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Man I'm about to cry.

I found tires at 4x4 parts, that I can get for $600 OTD if I pick them up in store and use my $100 gift card. They're 285/75/16 Dick Cepek Mud Country's.

I'm still waiting for my damn gift card!!!!! I bought the wheels which is how I 'got' the gift card and that was a month ago.

I'm gonna be so pissed if these go off sale before I get my card.

Since I will have to do some triming to fit these 285/75/16's, what are your guys' thoughts on just going with a 305/70/16 on a 16x8" wheel, with 4" backspace? With the 285's I will might need to modify the body mount a tiny bit, possibly not at all. With the 305's I will have to do a little work on the body mount and most likley the pich weld and possibly push the firewall back a hair, all of which I'm ok with doing myself.

I know the 4" backspacing is good enough for the 305's but do you think the ends of tread width will come off the ground too much for an 8" wheel? technically the 9.8" tread width on the 305's is 3/4" wider than the overall width of the wheel, which an 8" wheel actually measure 9" from outer edge, to outer edge.

The 305's are listed to fit an 8" wheel but I know for a fact they look perfect on a 9" wheel. 305's on a 8" wheel, will look kinda bulged. The 305' s only weight 5 pounds more each and just a few bucks more. I guess it would come down to wether or not your into buldged tires.

I'm kinda leaning towards the 285's just because I know it's an easier fit and will look great anyway.

13. Jan 13, 2008 at 5:24 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Try talking to the sales manager. Maybe they can look up your order and confirm it without having to wait for the card. I would think they'd be very interested and motivated in getting the sale.

14. Jan 14, 2008 at 5:19 PM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    i had swamper 33 ssr's on my old taco and i loved them. loud as hell but rode fine. IM000029_0a929bc71466fa1ef2b89e6d04fe416edcb960c4.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top