1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are Tacomas fun to drive?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by matt z, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    Easier to work on. Have you ever popped the hood on a WRX...Damn!

2. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    No,not as fun as your Honda Element.

It had to be said. Has anyone actually seen a Bear Sh$t int the woods?

3. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    bmgreene

bmgreene Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    L.A. Westside
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner V6 SR5/OR
    Alcan Leaf Packs, OME884 Coils, 5100 shocks, U.S. Offroad Winch Mount w/Winch, Trail Gear Rear H/C Bumper, Prinsu Cabrack, DIY custom in-bed storage/sleeping deck, Sway bar delete, hidden "snorkel" intake mod, In-dash CB, Bestop Supertop, Undercover Swingbox, hood lifters, assorted lights and front spotting camera
    Depends on what kind of fun you're looking to have. I split time between an off road prerunner and a lowered RX-8.

The Mazda's the best handling car I've ever driven, and lots of fun on twisty roads, the best I can say about it as a drag racer is that it'll beat a stock minivan (actually it's about comparable to a stock 350Z for 0-60 and quarter-mile), but it'd be a deathtrap on ice, and the farthest off pavement I'd take it would be on a freshly graded dirt road.

The taco can handle much more weather than I'll ever encounter without leaving L.A. and I'm looking forward to getting some good trail time in once the engine's broken in and I've got all my gear together, but it can't handle nearly as agressive behavior around town and takes 2/3 as long to reach 60 mph as the RX8 takes to go 1/4 mile.

Careful about getting too hung up on AWD, though. I learned to drive in western MT, and had a RWD Maverick in high school. As long as you've got decent snow tires and some ballast over the drive wheels you can get around fine on snow/ice as long as you're careful. Besides, AWD only makes it easier to speed up, while the real danger in winter is losing the ability to turn or stop, and a transfer case won't help with that other than prividing a little extra weight; you can always get unstuck, but you can't always uncrash.

4. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:09 PM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    given those constraints, there was a recent post from someone who traded in his tacoma because he realized its not fun to make $500 a month payment on something getting 15mpg.

5. Jan 26, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl

This is funny to me because it's soo true. I have an '06 Evo MR and a Tacoma- and I speed up for railroad crossings and crappy pavement in the Taco, but with a sports car on $750+ each rims you need to be careful. The Tacoma is not fun to drive IMO but when I drive it for a few weeks straight I get used to it and it's not bad. It rides like a Cadillac compared to an Evo, and I don't worry about parking it. Both vehicles have their purposes. If I had to pick just one I'd pick the Evo because I have a garage to put it in at the end of the day. If you can afford a Ralliart I'm sure it'd be a great vehicle, I also like Mitsu's sports cars, but anything high performance seems to draw thieves much more than boring vehicles.

6. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist. :cool:

7. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    rd263

rd263 Banana Republic

Member:
    Southeast of Disorder
    Vehicle:
    2006 SW SR5 4X4 AC
    Billy 5100's front,5% tint rear,20% sides,35% full front,Kenwood head unit,DRL mod,AFE CAI,Thule rack system,TSB rear leaf upgrade,Hella headlamps,Vent visors,Led brake lamps,Led backup lamps,clutch squeak TSB,TO bearing fixed,Debaged,100 watt fog lights ,Popnlock,shorty antenna,door sill protectors.
    Silly question :D

8. Jan 26, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    "are tacoma's fun to drive..." Psh, are boobs good?

Products Discussed in

To Top