1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are these spring done?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by GOLFMAN845, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    GOLFMAN845

GOLFMAN845 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    2002 Black Double Cab 4x4 TRD
    Leather Interior, Hunter Bull Bar with 4" KC Driving Lights, Black Pro Comp 16" Alloy Wheels, Yokohama ATS Tires, OME 881 Coils with Bilstein 5100's set at 1", Rear Dakar Leaf Springs with Bilstein 5125's, Removed Rear Decals on Bed
    Okay I need some opinions. Wheeler's suggested running the OME 881's with bilstein 5100's on the middle setting to give me about a 3" lift on the front. Says the 5 pack leaf will work great with 5100's on the back. That should get me pretty level. Also suggested adding a diff-drop kit, replacing the steering bushings and adding an extend break line in the back.

From what I have read, I haven't seen many people do the drop kit, bushings or brake line, but some have. Why would those need to be replaced? I thought those were only needed if you were doing a high lift.

Any thoughts on this?

This is my first significant upgrade beside wheels and a bull bar. So any help would be great!! Thanks to all who have already replied, the links have been help

Thanks,
    Nic

2. Nov 17, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

I did the Diff drop with my lift and I'm still touching on the upper CV boot. I just did an AAL and 5150's in the back without replacing the break line and I had plenty of room left when the read end was fully flexed.Now I'm buying a AllPro Expo 3"+ pack and I'm doing the break lines because of the amount of travel the rear will have.

3. Nov 17, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,

I got the works when I did my suspension. Reasoning for me was that everything was already getting torn apart, might as well take care of the odds and ends while it was convenient. Also I have no local shops to get any aftermarket parts like this so if something would have been needed and not ordered previously I would have been SOL.

My shopping list included...
    sway bar bushings - completely optional
    steering rack bushings - optional but probably a good idea to do. I noticed that the steering was much more responsive after the work was done, these may have been a big part of that
    brake line - optional. I ended up having to disconnect the brake line to get the leafs and shocks on so the line was swapped out at that time. the old line would have been okay to reinstall but it wouldn't have had much slack.
    main eye bolts - recommended. some people (from the GB) were having issues getting their bolts off and resorted to a sawzall. Save yourself the headache and get the new bolts.
    diff drop kit - optional.

PB Blaster - this will be your best friend. Soak the nuts and bolts and shackles a couple of times a day for a few days before proceeding with any work. makes it so much easier to get things apart (especially the main eye bolts)

4. Nov 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    I just saw this post. I'll have to dig up my notes and get back to you.

5. Nov 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    Ok found it. Now bear in mind that this was a purely unscientific method of measurement. I put blue tape on the fenders and marked a line where I could easily place a tape measure.

[​IMG]
    As shown here, the line was entirely arbitrary

There are variations left to right, but not necessarily because of the truck. Most likely operator head space and timing.

Location Before After Gain
    Driver Front 35 1/2, 37 1/4, = 1 3/4
    Driver Rear 37 1/8, 39 = 1 7/8
    Pass Front 36 1/8, 38 1/8 = 2
    Pass Rear 37 3/16, 38 7/8 = 1 11/16

Also, I took the measurements the same day so the truck hadn't settled yet.

6. Nov 20, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    GOLFMAN845

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    Leather Interior, Hunter Bull Bar with 4" KC Driving Lights, Black Pro Comp 16" Alloy Wheels, Yokohama ATS Tires, OME 881 Coils with Bilstein 5100's set at 1", Rear Dakar Leaf Springs with Bilstein 5125's, Removed Rear Decals on Bed
    WOW! It looks like mine is really sitting low compaired to your original measurements.

The difference is:
    Driver Front: -3/4"
    Driver Rear: -1 1/2"
    Pass Front: -7/8
    Pass Rear: -1

I know I measured a little differently, I went to the bottom of the fender flare. Which maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 difference, but the back is where there is a consideralbe amount. Although I thought the drivers side would be a bigger difference, considering mine is sitting so low on that side. I think this will also explain the tire rub, on the front, I am getting when pulling in to and out of my drive, the little bit of raise causes the tire to rub on the fender just a little. I cut out a bunch of plastic and ground down some metal when I first got the tires and wheels on last summer and in the last month or so it began to rub again.

7. Nov 20, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    GOLFMAN845

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    So here is what I am looking at doing.

My Shopping List

St. Louis Sping Co.
    Cold Re-Arching - Current Springs +1"
    Add A Leaf 1" - 2"
    Total Lift around 2 1/2" $250 total

Wheeler's
    OME 881 Coils 2" Lift $157.00
    Steering Rack Bushings$ 24.00
    Shackle Bushing Set $ 10.00
    U-Bolt Set $ 29.95
    Main Eye Bolt Kit $ 17.50

Down South Motor Sprts
    Bilstein 5100 Shocks

$295.99

Total Cost of Build $784.44

Cold Arching will only work if I can keep my turck in the garage at work for a day. Sping company told me they could have them back to me in one day. If I can't leave the truck, I will probably go with wheeler's 5 leaf pack for 459.00, but that adds $200 plus and shipping.

Any thoughts, suggestions, items missing? All are welcomed, as this is my first build!

Thanks for all the help so far!
    Nic

8. Nov 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    GOLFMAN845

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    Any thoughts on this?

9. Nov 22, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    I still lean toward the replacement leafs. I've never had springs re-arched though, so I have no direct experience. I will say that when I called shops around here, they all said they wouldn't do it because of how thin the springs are.

10. Nov 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    X2 man just buy a new leaf pack. AllPro is having 25% off sale on leafs until the 30th. It would only be a little more then 250 for a whole leaf pack.

11. Nov 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Just some food for thought...rearching and AAL's are only going to be temporary fixes for a worn out stock leaf packs which were weak to begin with. And AAL's typically result in a harsher ride.

You seem to have everything on the list...are you doing the work yourself? Or taking it to a shop?

12. Nov 22, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    GOLFMAN845

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I will look into those, that sounds like a great deal. Plus it saves me from having to find a garage to keep the truck in for a couple days while they get re-arched.

What did you think of rest of my shopping list.

Am I looking at their site correctly? I only see 3" and 5" leafs. I am looking for 1" to 2" lift. Unless the 3" will match up well with eh 881 coils.

Thanks!
    Nic

13. Nov 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

It looks pretty good man.

14. Nov 23, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    GOLFMAN845

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Just saw the last part of your post.

But I seen some info about the AAL but most of those were just adding to the bad springs. This place was going to cold arch the springs, which they bend them back to normal or more arch than originally. This is different from re-arching because in that they reheat the metal to bend it. I am going to look into the All Pro Leafs because that will save me some time and having to find a place to keep the truck for an extra day. I am going to do the work myself at work. The club mechanic said he would help out too. I grew up on a farm so I have done a lot of swapping parts on old farm trucks, so I know my way around a vehicle. This looks pretty basic, just a little time comsuming. Plus doing it at work I should have all the tools I need for they work on all kinds of equipment. I am not sure if I want to add 3" of lift that the All Pro springs have, I am installing the OME 881 coils and do not want to have the back end higher than the front. I am hoping to get it close to level.

Thanks for the help and input!
    Nic

15. Nov 25, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    GOLFMAN845

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    Okay upon looking at everyone's suggestions and reading more threads, I have leaning towards this setup. Let me know your thoughts on this?

OEM Dakar Leaf Springs 2.25" Lift
    OME 881 Coils 2" Lift
    Steering Rack Bushings
    ARB Rear Leaf Spring Bushing Kit (2)
    Exhaust Fitment Bracket
    Front Diff Drop Kit
    Rear Brake Hose
    U-Bolt Set
    Main Eye Bolt Kit
    Shackle Bushing Kit
    Bilstein 5100 Shocks (free shipping)

Would I set the Bilsteins on .85 or 1.75 to level out the truck with the 2.25" lift in the back? I'm okay with a little rake but don't want to much. Seems like if my math is right the .85 will be a better setup and not put to much lift on the front. Does that much lift in the front do anything to the UCA? The other option would be to remove one of the leafs from the Dakar set and run the Billie's at zero. Opinions on this would be great!!

Is it hard to adjust the shock once it is on the coil?

Let me know what you think!
    Thanks!
    Nic

16. Nov 25, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    here's a little of what I learned (thanks to the shop that installed the front end incorrectly :mad:) during my suspension upgrades. 5100's with 881's work best with the shocks set at '0'...okay but not highly recommended at the 1.75 setting...and NO WAY at hte 2.5 setting. The shop that did the front end work for me mistakenly installed the shocks at the 2.5 setting and I got about 3.5 or 4 inches of lift out of it. Not only was it not a good idea to run those heavy coils squished up like that the ride was horribly rough and I had driveline vibes like crazy. ONce I had the front end dropped to '0' the ride improved greatly and the vibes were gone.

Just my $0.02 but I would not go with that front end combo - 5100's at 2.5 with the 881 coils - if you're looking to get that much lift.

17. Dec 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    GOLFMAN845

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    Got the new suspension put on yesterday afternoon / evening. It took a little longer than expected, but well worth it. All I have is some cell phone pictures from this morning, had to go to work. If the weather cooperates I can get some better one tomorrow but I hear we are going to get some sleet/ice/snow mix tonight. So we will see. Well here are the cell phone pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up Front OME 881 Coils with Bilstein 5100's set at 1"
    Rear Dakar Leaf Springs with Bilstein 5125's
    Steering Rack Bushings
    Differential Drop
    Exhaust relocating bracket (didn’t seem to do much, not sure we got it in the right spot, used it in the hanger by the exhaust tip).
    The rear brake line was on back order, but Toyota of Dallas (trdparts4u) said it was not a necessary item to do the install.

18. Dec 15, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Truck looks great. I guess the ride improvement was night and day. You, sir, have been awarded one internets.

19. Dec 16, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    GOLFMAN845

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    Yeah last night was the first time I got to drive it anywhere. I did notice a new noise in the front. Not sure what it is. I could feel and hear it at about 30-35 miles an hour. Felt and sounded like it was from the passenger front. I can't really discribe the sound but its there and gone then there and gone, evey few seconds. I am hoping that it is just the alignment needed, but it drives pretty good. Feels 100% better, softer if you would believe it, the old must have been so shot! The best part there is no more front end bouncing going down the road. In the last two weeks it go worse and worse, one of my friends was like this is going to make me sick! Anyway so far so good. Better pics will have to wait. We got a nice layer of ice last night, of course I was out in too. It was fun until I came upon a lady in a blazer on its side in the ditch. She was fine, shaken up trying to climb out so I pulled her out of the car. She is lucky she had her seat belt on, bc it landed on the drivers side. She has a couple of scrapes on her hand but other than that I think she will be fine with some small cuts and bruises. She had two 30 pound bags of dog food the were thrown about 10 -12 feet from the vehicle.

Thanks again for all the help getting to the build!
    Nic

20. Dec 18, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    GOLFMAN845

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Vehicle:
    Drivers Side CV
    [​IMG]

Driver Side Upper Boot
    [​IMG]

Passenger Side CV
    [​IMG]

Passenger Side Upper Boot
    [​IMG]

As you can see from the pictures from last night and tonight there is a little grease coming out from around the what I call the upper boot on the passenger side? Help???? What can I do or need to do?

**EDIT**
    ** Took the truck into the shop today, they drove it and thought noise was an alignment problem, as for the grease they think the boot was over filled and when the angle was changed the extra grease was forced out. They cleaned it up and told me to keep an eye on it. A little more has come out since, but not a whole lot. So I guess that is where it stands now." **

Thanks!!

Products Discussed in

To Top