1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are You Really Getting Genuine Toyota OEM Parts Other Than From The Dealership?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Canadian Caber, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Feb 7, 2021 at 12:40 AM
    Canadian Caber

Canadian Caber [OP] R.I.P Layne Staley 67-2002

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    B.C. Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport DCLB 4X4 Super White
    BC Hunter and Superdave1.0 like this.
  2. Feb 7, 2021 at 7:31 AM
    Sysco

Sysco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Base
    After viewing this video, I checked my recent order from an online Toyota dealer, and the spark plugs I received could have been the exact counterfeit plugs used in this video. I have received the order and the (4) 90919-01191 spark plugs were packaged in a small box with the dealers name. As in this video, the DENSO printing on the plug is faded just like the counterfeit in the video. Also, the engraving on the ring is exactly like the counterfeit , including the Made in Japan stamping. Everything noted as "wrong" that I could find, matched the video example of a counterfeit part. I received these from a Toyota dealer. Am I to assume that there is no sure way to get genuine Toyota parts? I am sending a note to the dealer to ask for their explanation of their parts versus the video. If I believe this video, any Toyota part that says "made in Japan" is likely counterfeit.

Hooper89 and Canadian Caber[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 7, 2021 at 1:28 PM
    Canadian Caber

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    B.C. Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    That's troubling if a dealership is knowingly selling counterfeit parts. Did the sparks plugs have an old parts number? Are your spark plugs Iridium tips like he was demonstrating? Are the spark plugs he's showing the same spark plugs as your model of vehicle? Is yours a V6 or 4 banger?

I had my trusted Mechanic do a first 1,000 mile oil change on my 2020 TRD V6. He used a factory oil filter as per my request. He held the box up for me to see but I was far away so I could't examine up close nor did I care to as I didn't know at the time there are counterfeit OEM parts out there. I don't know if he purchased from a dealer or parts store. Hopefully he got it from the dealership. Since watching this video I don't know if it's a genuine OEM oil filter or he got or a flimsy counterfeit one like he shows in the video.

I never even considered this as an issue until I watched his video.

When you go out of your way to purchase quality expensive OEM parts that meet stringent requirements, you want the real deal. Not some fake counterfeit crap.

I'm interested to hear what your dealership has to say.
    Screenshot from 2021-02-07 11-27-04.jpg
    Screenshot from 2021-02-07 11-28-34.jpg

Counterfeit oil filter is on the left or his right. Very cheap and squishy. OEM (on right or his left) one is quality made and not squish-able at all.

Screenshot from 2021-02-07 13-13-13.jpg

BC Hunter likes this.
  4. Feb 7, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    Sysco

Sysco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Base
    The plugs were the exact same part, the current number for my Tacoma, 90919-01191, iridium. As I said, the plugs visually were identical to the supposed counterfeit ones, markings and all. I hope to hear from the dealer in the next day or so. I would like to contact the person who made the video, but to do that, I have to join google/facebook, or some other company wanting to sell my information.

5. Feb 7, 2021 at 2:18 PM
    Canadian Caber

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    B.C. Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    He has a email contact that he provided in the video description. "Questions? Comment or email thecarcarenut@gmail.com please note that it takes me sometime to get back to you via email but I always will in the end".

6. Feb 7, 2021 at 6:01 PM
    Sysco

Sysco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Base
    Thanks. I will send my info to him and see what he thinks.

7. Feb 8, 2021 at 7:12 AM
    sju350

sju350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    TN
    Vehicle:
    18 Tacoma TRD Smokin Edition
    After watching the video, I was worried about Toyota filters that I had purchased from my local Walmart. Never paid that much attention to it before but Walmart was selling the real deal. The oil filters were marked on box made in Taiwan. I couldn’t squish them and the A6 filters don’t have the extra o’ring nor the plastic drain piece in the box. So now I’m feeling better. Thought I had put junk in my vehicles. Now I’m just wondering about some spark plugs that I have purchased from Rockauto. They were way cheaper than from dealer but again I didn’t pay that close attention to them. Guess I’m going to pull a plug or two and look closer at them next time I’m off just so I know I have the correct parts installed.

Canadian Caber[OP] likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2021 at 8:28 AM
    Sysco

Sysco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Base
    Just received this reply to my concern from the dealer parts manager:

" I am sorry you are having concerns, we obtain all of our parts straight from the Toyota warehouses in order for them to be "counterfeit" or as Toyota refers to them "Gray parts" all Toyota dealers would be using them. I assure you I would never purchase/sell Gray parts, as that is highly unethically and very detrimental to the dealer. I hope this has put your mind at ease and if you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to reach out."

I am going to get one from a local dealer and compare them. If they are the same as the ones I received, it makes me wonder where the Carecarenut obtained his OEM part, which is so different than mine, to compare to the reported counterfeit one. I will update with my findings.

airmax233 likes this.
  9. Feb 8, 2021 at 8:29 AM
    howied

howied Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is scary

10. Feb 12, 2021 at 4:44 PM
    Canadian Caber

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    B.C. Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    Looking around e_Bay and A_mazon it would appear that they are the biggest culprits of counterfeit OEM parts. Here is one example from e_Bay. It fits his description exactly. They have sold almost 1,200 counterfeit OEM in-cab filters.

50023790-7E73-45C7-8107-82DA2BDCC1F9.jpg

Toyota is aware of this but it’s like playing whack a mole. https://pressroom.toyota.com/podcast/17-whack-a-mole-brand-protection-counterfeit-parts/

Here is an sample excerpt from the October 2019 article;

“Kelsey Soule: [00:01:33] Okay. So, today we’re going to talk about something that I think a lot of people don’t know about. It’s definitely something I didn’t know about until we scheduled this interview. And that is on the topic of brand protection for Toyota and counterfeit parts.”

“Joe Cammiso: [00:02:01] Sure. I’m Joe Cammiso. I’m Brand Protection Manager. I work in the Service Parts Division. And our jobs primarily is two components – fighting counterfeit auto parts and, also, grey market parts. But I think this discussion will focus on the counterfeit stuff, the fun stuff.”

“Teena Bohi: [00:04:05] Right? They’re looking for a genuine Toyota part or a genuine Lexus part that’s cheaper than they can buy it at the dealer. And maybe some of those people install them, you know, on their vehicles themselves. But we’ve found that increasingly, the independent repair facilities are also buying these parts online.

“Joe Cammiso: [00:04:24] And they’re unsuspecting consumers also because they don’t—nobody really understands the proliferation of these things-“

“Teena Bohi: [00:04:43] Yeah, unfortunately, a lot of people don’t find out, right? They buy a part, let’s just say a spark plug, they install it in their car, they buy a set of spark plugs, and install them in their car, and they fail prematurely. They thought they bought Toyota product-“

“Kelsey Soule: [00:04:58] Right.”

“Teena Bohi: [00:04:59] … that failed prematurely. Now, in their mind, there’s damage to the Toyota brand. They may never know that those parts were counterfeit.

So buyer beware!”

11. Feb 12, 2021 at 5:22 PM
    Sysco

Sysco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Base
    The concern I have with the video that started this thread is, the presenter pointed out potential "flags" that would indicate the spark plugs were counterfeit. I found that these "flags" were in fact, identical to the genuine OEM plugs from Toyota. I bought a second plug locally, and it too had the same "flag" details:
    The plugs and box both said "made in Japan" that the presenter indicated was questionable. The printing on the plugs themselves was light on the top line, DENSO Iridium, and darker on the bottom line SK20HR11. I wonder where he got the supposed OEM plugs that were different in these aspects. Toyota assured me all of their plugs looked like the ones they sold me. This is a buyer beware world, but also beware of false prophets. Best bet, always buy from the dealers. They are higher, but they do sell genuine OEM parts.

12. Feb 12, 2021 at 5:31 PM
    $yoda$

$yoda$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4.0
    2.5 inch lift, 285/75r16s, upgraded stereo system, Magnuson mp90 supercharger system.
    When I need oem parts I always get them from Toyota

Russcotaco likes this.
  13. Oct 23, 2023 at 9:09 PM
    Russcotaco

Russcotaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Vehicle:
    99' Tacoma Dlx 2wd
    Nothing much. Upgraded mirrors to 01-04, upgraded taillamps to 01-04, upgraded cowl grill 01-04 because it has screen underneath to keep debris out, and has the rubber bumper in the middle to stabilize the hood. Upgraded the interior rearview mirror to 04 with dual map lights. Billet polished grill inserts. Sprayin bedliner.
    Hello guys.
    I usually always get parts for our Toyota's and scions from a local Toyota dealer parts dept.
    Unless the part I need is discontinued from Toyota. I like to keep our Toyota's and scions all OEM as possible.
    Back around the first of this year (2023) I was referred by a friend of mine to a few Toyota groups on FaceBook, and a guy that goes by joejoe. That should have been my first clue, plus he uses only a cartoon pic of the joker on his FB profile. Someone on there needs oem Toyota parts, they send him a messege through fb messenger, he gets them a price, and they send joejoe the money through PayPal, via friends and family. ( My third mistake) I initially sent the money for a brake master cylinder ($253.00) via goods and services, and added notes/comments it was for my 1999 Tacoma.
    Well joejoe immediately refunded the money right back. And told me to resend it ,via friends and family, and leave comments/notes blank. That was the beginning of his shady deals.
    This was on march22, 2023.
    He told me my order was in, and it would ship out the next day. I waited a couple of weeks, and didn't receive a tracking number, so I contacted joejoe, to ask status of my part. He said he had not heard back from Toyota. This (the excuses) went on for five months. I would contact him a couple times a month, each month, but always the same answer from him.
    So the first of August I visited a local Toyota dealer to see if the part was available. And I also was able by research to locate the Toyota dealer in southern California, that joejoe is getting OEM parts from ,to resale on FACEBOOK. I Called Toyota of Santee, California, and the parts mgr, checked the part also. Both dealerships informed me that the part was discontinued from Toyota , and had been for well over a year.
    I then contacted joejoe again ,and asked if the brake master cylinder was backordered. His exact words, on messenger ( which I screenshot saved) was , I wouldnt say it was on backorder, no. He again said he had not heard from Toyota about the part.
    So I'm already mad, when I found out he was lying to me, so I filed a claim in mid August to get my money back. Because I never recieved the part, I paid him for.
    PayPal won't do squat, because as joejoe requested, I sent the $253.00, through PayPal, via friends and family.
    So to PayPal it appears that I sent this joejoe kid, some cash.
    Then the smug thief, starts harassing me telling me it wouldn't do any good to file a back charge claim against him. Lauging and making arrogant, comments. Then proceeds to tell me he has my brake master cylinder, and he's had it for 3+ weeks. (Another lie)
    So after all that, and 7 months later I still don't have my money refunded back. My back is investigating this mess, but said he is telling them , that I have a legal retail contract with him, on the brake master cylinder.
    HOW is that possible , even the slightest bit, when the damn part is totally discontinued from Toyota Manufacturing ??
    Plus my DA sent him the $253.00 through PayPal, via friends and family. It's basically a money wire/transfer.
    This joejoe is burying himself in lie, after lie, after lie.
    Hell it's no surprise that the boy uses a cartoon pic of the joker and fake alias's, fake LLC's, and addresses all over the southwest, northwest, and northern states. He is as fake as fake can get.
    I DO NOT Recommend sending this joejoe, money through PayPal, venmo, zelle, ECT.
    If you Google joejoe Toyota parts, there are more complaints out there on him too.
    He is extremely shady, unprofessional, and dishonest scum

14. Oct 23, 2023 at 9:22 PM
    Russcotaco

Russcotaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Vehicle:
    99' Tacoma Dlx 2wd
    Nothing much. Upgraded mirrors to 01-04, upgraded taillamps to 01-04, upgraded cowl grill 01-04 because it has screen underneath to keep debris out, and has the rubber bumper in the middle to stabilize the hood. Upgraded the interior rearview mirror to 04 with dual map lights. Billet polished grill inserts. Sprayin bedliner.
    I know one thing for certain, I'll be getting my oem Toyota parts from a Toyota certified franchise dealership from now on.
    I got a deal with a local dealer to get oem parts at same prices as Joey claims he does.
    It all works out.

Canadian Caber[OP] likes this.
  15. Oct 23, 2023 at 9:52 PM
    Canadian Caber

Member:
    First Name:
    Les
    B.C. Canada, eh
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to hear you got scammed. Yes, play it safe and stick to reputable parts dealers for your Toyota product.

16. Nov 4, 2023 at 12:00 PM
    Russcotaco

Russcotaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Vehicle:
    99' Tacoma Dlx 2wd
    Hey folks. It's November and joejoe (joejoe Toyota parts) on Facebook, still has not refunded my money.
    The part was discontinued from Toyota well over a year ago. So when joejoe supposably ordered my part, in mid march2023, it was discontinued. So why is this jokerclown still holding my money, not refunding it.
    Well it because when I filed a charge back claim against him, in August , because I found out the part I paid him for was discontinued indefinitely, well little fellow joejoe got mad. Said I should have contacted him for my refund. Yes ok so he can say he will have to keep 20-30% for restocking fee, even though he doesn't have the brake master cylinder ,because... Well it's not available anymore. And because he straight lied to me for 5 months, with excuses. I wasn't going to hear anymore lame excuses from him.
    So he wet his jokershorts and now holding onto my money is his smug ,cowardly way of retaliation and revenge because I called him out on his bad deals .
    Joejoe is a shady ,dishonest punk, and anyone looking for OEM Toyota parts should beware of him, don't send him money.
    He got $253.00 from me, and I recently talked to another guy that joejoe took money from and never sent parts, and he got him for $2500.00.
    There are quite a few folks that have been ripped off by that cowardly ,smug clown, hiding behind the joker pic.
    There is a good reason why he hides behind a cartoon pic, and sells on FB, instead of a legit website.

Products Discussed in

To Top