1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are you scared to ride? (sport bike)

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by rab89, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    rab89

rab89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    are you guys scared to ride your sport bike?

I'm thinking of getting a bike again for the summer, and I'm scared!

It's good scared, as in this fear will keep me on my toes, and keep me from being a jack ass and speeding.

What about you?

2. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I love riding mine! What scares me is people who just don't pay attention. You could be doing everything right and all it takes is some jackass not looking when he changes lanes to mess you up. I just try to avoid cities and traffic congestion as much as possible.

3. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    rab89

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    yea that's definitely what gets under my skin.

I'd like to use my bike to commute to another city thats about 60km away, but it's so damn busy on that road!

4. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    Yeah.

Drivers have their heads up their @sses nowadays. And on a bike an accident of any kind can result in death, maiming, etc.

I had one 20+ years ago and did some crazy stuff. Glad I lived through it.

Between texting, talking, using ipod, etc. it's very different now.

Or maybe I'm just getting older :anonymous:

5. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I work in Boston and am debating riding my motorcycle in (when it gets warmer). I saw someone reading a book while driving in this morning... it's things like that that completely turn me away from wanting to commute on a motorcycle. I'd probably get something lighter for a city commute though, like a dual-sport or an SM.

6. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I gave up riding street bikes years ago. I don't worry so much about my ability or the bike but the dumbasses that change lanes without looking and blow through lights. And now with cell phones and texting I'm terrified.

7. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    I wrecked mine (05 GSX-R 600) in 2006. Took me about two years to put it back together (just because I had no time) and then another year to actually get on it.
    The first time getting back on it, I went out for a thirty min ride. Within five min. someone slammed on their brakes right in front of me to make a turn (no signal given), I locked the rear tire up, killed the engine and slid past them.
    Ten min. later, I was stopping at a red light and went to downshift and couldn't find the shift lever. I eased off into a parking lot and noticed that the lever was hanging down because I had lost the shift linkage. I rode the rest of the way home in second gear.
    I felt like an ass cause I was riding at around 10k RPM with people passing me the rest of the way home. I think I'm gonna sell it and use the money to mod the truck. Starting to feel like it is cursed.

8. Feb 16, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    rab89

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I definitely wouldn't ride in so cal either!

Problem for me is I live in a tourist community, and the population doubles in the summer!

texting or being on the phone is illegal where I live, but don't think that stops people.

so frustrating!

9. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    smart man. it's simply not worth it. that's why i ride offroad - and originally why i used to have a jeep cj, so i could get some of the fun of a convertible, etc. without ending up a drooling vegetable.

10. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Rode sport bikes (If you could call them that) from 1986, on up to 1993, when I had a head on into a Camaro. I stopped riding until 2001. I was scared after the accident, but I took up dirt biking, and in 2001, bought a liter bike. Then another, and so on. I sold them as I reached a point in my life that I felt I had done what I wanted to do with them, and they began to sit for long periods. To this day, I dont think Im scared, so much as I am Cautious. If you can ride being aware that the other drivers can kill you, and keep the BS riding on a track, all will be well.

11. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    udy2554

udy2554 NORTHERN RED-NECK

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Naples, NY
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Toytec ULK, Light Racing UCA's, OME Dakar rear leaves, ARB Bumper with XRC8 winch, Good Year Duratracs 285/70/17's on 17x9" Level 8 Strike 6's. Leer cap in the winter. Pioneer Double Din with BT, iPod, etc. Boston Acoustic components in all 4 doors with a Sony amp, powered 8" sub. Ultra gauge, Tom Tom...
    Talking/texting without a handsfree device is illegal here in NY also. Now instead of a handslap and fine, they are adding 2 points on your driving record. That should help alot!

FWIW, the last street bike I rode was one of the first 600CBR's. I lifted my head to look around at 135mph. Thought the bike was gonna leave me. Brought it back to the owner and never got on one again. Speed is an issue with me. Got rid of a WS6 Trans AM for the same reason. No more speed toys for me.

I do agree...there are WAY to many distractions to drivers these days, too much competition for road space!

God Bless you guys/gals that do ride!

12. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I started riding again about 4 years ago, after a 15 year hiatus. I live outside of Houston and do commute regularly, but I attempt to control my riding situations as much as is possible:

o doesn't matter who is at fault, if you're on a MC and are in an accident, you will lose
    o ride with a sense of fear of the other drivers,,, this is good as you've said, keeps you on your toes
    o try to ride during as much off-peak hours as possible
    o dress for the crash, not comfort
    o avoid blind spots and make sure you're seen, i.e., I don't pass another car on a mutli-lane highway until I can go from being seen in their rear-view, to past their front bumper in one quick pass
    o watch the other drivers for hints as to where they're going, this is more reliable then turn signals :)
    o watch for on-coming traffic that can turn left in front on you
    o etc., etc., etc.

None of this makes riding perfectly safe, but if you ensure you're riding with a hightened sense of your surroundings you do minimize the risk some.

13. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    That must have been some bike, you rode back in time! Did you meet yourself? :D

14. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Sport bike so fast it went back in time?? DAAAAYUM!!!

I took mine to a track and saw high triple digits on the speedo at several points....Realized I don't know nearly enuf to go that fast...Haven't broken 100 since. It's a respect more than scared.
    I am scared of the people out there with no situational awareness or driving skills. My bike got 12K miles the first year...2007...and I have since put about 4K more on it...It's sad really...can't find anywhere good AND safe to ride.

15. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    I miss riding my R1. I gave up riding due to the idiots around here. I've had a few close calls and it's not worth it.

16. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    sick 3.4 tacoma

sick 3.4 tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    portland Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2003 double cab 4x4
    elite bumper, xrc8 winch, 12in sub, cb, flowmaster, deck plate mod, 3in lift.
    i love to ride and i ride as much as i posibly can. thats one of the best parts about riding a sport bike is being a little scared about taking it out there on the streats with all the crazy people that dont know how to drive.

IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg

17. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Disclaimer: I don't own a bike, and never have. My only riding has been my roommate's Ninja 250 and 600 F4i. I have a license and have taken a course.

Riding sport bikes is a lot of fun, but yes, I'm scared. I'm scared to the point that I don't think I can ever buy one and make it a worthwhile investment. Every time I'm out I feel on edge, like I can never really be comfortable, and that's not a feeling I like. In a fast car, I feel completely in control, but not on a sport bike. Too much to worry about, etc.

I think if I EVER got a bike, it would be a big cruiser, just for the fact that I feel I could better control that throttle wise than a twitchy (read: good for handling) sport bike. I'm just too fidgety.

18. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    It's a healthy scared I maintain with mine. I love riding it! It won't scare you from not speeding. Sport bikes have so much power and it's easy to get them going fast.

But like everyone else has said, keep your head on a swivel, be aware of surroundings.

19. Feb 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    LOL!! Fixed. It was 1986....:eek:

20. Feb 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

In that case- I was 2. Just thought you'd like to know. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top