1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Arrow Selection

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by hobiecat111629, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Jan 9, 2019 at 1:32 PM
    hobiecat111629

hobiecat111629 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Access Cab
    I have a very addictive personality, which means I have too many hobbies and my garage is starting to resemble the stock room at a sporting goods store. I'd never had any interest in archery (or hunting) until my father in law decided to clean out his closet and gave me one of his old bows. I've never shot a deer, but love eating them and figured, "what the hell, I'll try it out....."

The tech at the local archery shop managed to talk me into a brand new bow, rather than tuning up the old one. To be fair, the old one was from the 70's and he didn't think he could shorten the draw length enough to make it comfortable for me to shoot. I've seen enough skiers hurt because they were using outdated/poor fitting gear, so he didn't have to sell me hard.

Deer season is just about over in Ohio, so I doubt that'll happen this year, but I'm practicing and the assortment of used arrows that I've got aren't giving me the same accuracy that they were out of the old bow. They're moving a LOT faster now, so I suppose that has something to do with how they're flying

I'm really struggling with arrow selection, so I was hoping some experts could point me in the right direction with arrows and points for practicing. I've got the new bow set to a 25" draw (yeah, I'm that short) and 52lbs.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. Jan 9, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    Go back to the archery shop and ask the tech for recommendations??? Should be able to easily match arrows to the bow he sold you. Should have several brands to choose from. You need a length (depends on draw length) and spline (depends on draw weight). I shoot carbon express 350s in 29.5" length.

Arrow makers generally have a chart to cross reference length and draw weight, which gives you a corresponding code. You can google the makers and look at their charts....carbon express, beaman, easton, victory, and probably many more.

3. Jan 9, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    wilcam47

wilcam47 Keep on keeping on!

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bourbon state
    Ive used Gold tip brand arrows with good results. They stand up to target practice and hunting. Just match up your draw length and bow speed, most products have a chart on their website.

Products Discussed in

To Top