1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ascend FS12 Sit In Angler or Old Town Vapor 12XT Angler

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by duckcmdr, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Nov 23, 2011 at 5:19 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr [OP] If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Ascend FS12 Sit In Angler or Old Town Vapor 12XT Angler

Anyone with experience with any of these?

I have read the reviews and understand there is a 20lb wt difference, not that big of a deal for me unless it affects handling.

This will be my first yak and i will be using it to fish,hunt and to cruise down some rivers.

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS12-Sit-In-Angler-Kayak/product/10225299/58897#BVQAWidgetID

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Old-Town-Vapor-12XT-Angler-Kayak/737354.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dkayak%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=kayak&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products#BVRRWidgetID

2. Nov 25, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Anyone?????

Damn should have put this in the 2nd gen section.:p

3. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I like the Ascend. Old Town is a pretty popular kayak brand and I don't have any doubts on their quality, but the Ascend looks like it has more fishing related features. One of which is the hull design of the Ascend which I think will make it more stable on the water for fishing and hunting. My kayak (cheap Future Beach from Dicks) has a similar hull shape and it is very stable when compared to a V or U shaped hull that is found on traditional sit in kayaks. I wouldn't try to stand up in one no matter what the ad says. The downside is that it is not as maneuverable and has more drag, so it's not a very fast boat. I have been able to reach a slow trolling speed with it though.

If you have a BassPro nearby I'd try to go look at one to check out the quality, fit, and comfort. You can find Old Town's at other retailers like REI or paddle shops.

Good luck!

4. Nov 25, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    Freelance

Freelance Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC PreRunner SR5
    I have no experience with the Old Town, but I've owned my FS12 for about a year now. Only complaint I have about it what so ever, is that I don't get to use it nearly as much as I'd like.
    Very durable, very comfortable, just not really fast by any means. I owned an Ascend D10 before the Angler, and the difference with the "tunnel hull" is incredible. I can stand to cast if needed, or just to maneuver around in the front and rear storage. I've even had my 40lb Ridgeback come out with me a few times. She likes to sit in the front cargo area and play fish finder!

Highly recommend this boat, especially if you plan to do just fish, hunt, and cruise. Again, not fast, but definitely not slow. Very easy to get in and out of, even when in open water when/if needed.

5. Nov 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    duckcmdr

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    Thanks for the input!

Products Discussed in

To Top