1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ask a Plumber.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Rusty 06 4x4, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Jul 31, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    what you're talking about is the red thing in the upper right corner yeah?

securedownload-5_edc0f462291813dc41d19f5fba7656b17d68a326.jpg

2. Jul 31, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    yeah. in my google searching i saw that was an option. can you please elaborate on what you're talking about cartridges?

3. Jul 31, 2014 at 6:20 PM
    moto932

moto932 What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Off Road
    Basically stock. OME 882s, HD Dakars and nitrochrgers, TG front bumper, custom rear bumper, 4Xinnovations sliders, RAT skids, Softopper, 255/85/16 ST MAXX's on 16" steelies, 1" B.O.R.A. wheel spacers Scangaugae II, deck plate mod, grey wire mod,ECGS bushing, diff breather relocation, alarm mod, defrost w/o compressor mod, de-badged, sockmonkey beside decals.
    possibly missing a check valve where the hot return ties back into the cold before the heater? and holy flex lines batman!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  4. Jul 31, 2014 at 6:22 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    Yes. That looks like a recirc pump. Can't tell from the picture if theres a check valve to keep the circulated hot water from going back up the cold.
    Can you tell if the pump is working?

5. Jul 31, 2014 at 6:28 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    no clue... seems like all that stuff is up in the attic because there's very little right next to the water heater. i haven't had a chance to climb up there a scope things out

how can i check and see if it's working? there's actually a lot of gunk build up on it... maybe a sign its been KIA?

securedownload1-3_a93e8bc37f7b6c1fd3a6437f15ab45cf7807184a.jpg

6. Jul 31, 2014 at 6:38 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    That pump, change it.

The check is probably stuck open... and you're slowly leaking at the spindle.

7. Jul 31, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    yeah, had a feeling it would need replacing as soon as i saw that crap on there.

any suggestions on an inexpensive, reliable replacement?

8. Jul 31, 2014 at 6:49 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
  9. Jul 31, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    If you change the pump You might not even need as big of a pump as you currently have depending on how big your house is.. There is no check valve there definitely add one. It should be on the cold line behind the expansion tank. You might also want to think about strapping that expansion tank..(the little white tank behind the pump). I can draw you a nice little diagram of how it should be 2m morning if that would help.

10. Jul 31, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    My dad is out of the office for the day but if you wait till 2m I can give you a link to an inexpensive pump we use all the time.

Edit oh yea forgot to explain cartridges.. So basically those are the things inside of shower valves (not sure if single lever faucets have them too?) and they basically help you control volume/temperature. They also usually have little screens to catch sediment etc. they are removable from the valve so you can change them when they go bad.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  11. Jul 31, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    In this picture, in that little space between the copper pipe and the pump, with the expansion tank in the background... That looks like the top of a check valve. Your check valve could be bad and would be cheap and easy to replace (if you can solder)

As far as the pump, a little taco (brand) shouldn't be very expensive and would work just fine. All you really need for re-circulation is a little trickle.
    In fact, if piped right, I've seen recirc lines work without a pump at all using natural convection.

12. Jul 31, 2014 at 8:42 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    This guy knows what he's talking about.^ I didn't see the top of the check at first but now I do. I honestly don't know the answer to this but could the placement of the check valve matter?? (Bottom drawing is how it's currently setup)

[​IMG]

Occasionally we will run into a house with a working gravity recirc line but that shit is rare. I've seen maybe 1 or 2 that worked.

13. Aug 1, 2014 at 5:56 AM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    It's hard to tell from the pictures but it does look like your check valve is installed in the wrong place. The check valve prevents flow in one direction. Placed as shown in the bottom diagram, it would prevent cold water from flowing back through the recirc line (not an issue as it would also have to overcome the pump)
    In the top diagram it would prevent hot water from flowing back through the cold line which is the problem you seem to be having.
    I've seen installations with a check valve in both locations.
    If you add a check valve, be aware that a swing check (the type it looks like you have) must be installed in a horizontal pipe. If you need to put a check valve in vertical piping, you'll need a spring loaded check valve.

14. Aug 1, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    WIB

WIB Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AC
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    TRD stock 4x4
    nelson18matt Just a couple of quick observations about the franken job that is your water heater install.

The big white thing near the back wall is an expansion tank and appears to be only supported by the piping. It's crooked. That's a big no-no as it could weaken the nearest soldered joint(s). You'll need to support it somehow and this is one option I can get through my local plumbing supply house,
    [​IMG]
    It's called an Mounting kit for 5 gal expansion tank and should run you $15-20 or so.

Where's the shutoff for the incoming cold water? Is it on the on the side of the wall from the circ pump? Normally it would located nearer where the cold water enters the tank, usually with 12" or so.

The pipe that comes off the top of the tank and exits through the wall in the left of your pic. Where does it go? That is the T&P relief valve (Temperature & Pressure)/ It releases water that too hot, +210F, or pressure build up (typically around 150psi). The reason I'm asking is because looking that your water I'd that in no phase of that install was a certified plumber involved. It looks hacked together. First clue is the 6 pieces of duct used used to make the flue go ~3' from the top of the WH to the ceiling. I could go on, but it's time for lights out.

Didn't to sh*t all over you, just that install looks like hell in it's own pretty alcove.

15. Aug 5, 2014 at 4:34 PM
    nelson18matt

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    ^^^ thanks for the help!

16. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Seat in shower is frozen - put the seat tool in and wrench with a lot of pressure - afraid to put a cheater on the wrench and F up the seat completely and have to remove tile and replace fixture. Sprayed some WD40 - replaced the washer and put it back together. Doesn't leak but I would like to do the job the right way. Any reply appreciated.

Just to state the obvious - water hard - full of minerals - white cement like shite on stem, handle etc. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  17. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:26 AM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    I usually replace but since it's yours try and tighten slowly to break it loose then loosen. And an easy out on an extension. CLR it but flush it good after. Be careful you could end up with the water off longer than anticipated.
    Is this the only restroom?

18. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Thanks for the quick reply. I did try "tighten slowly to break it loose" It didn't budge. Since I have the correct seat tool and the female of the seat is in good shape - is there a reason for the easy out which would F up the female hex ? I will spray it with CLR. Thanks for the suggestion.

19. Oct 11, 2014 at 6:40 AM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    If the seat strips out then try easy out. If you still have a good bite then keep tapping on it with hammer and give it hell.

Galvanized pipes?

20. Oct 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    No - copper. First time U mentioned "tapping on it with hammer" Am I tapping on the end of the seat tool to vibrate it and get the CLR into the treads or am I tapping the wrench in a CCW direction. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top