1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Asking about next redesign for tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by arivert, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Nov 22, 2006 at 6:00 PM
    arivert

arivert [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi my name is Andres and I live in Mexico.
    I will appreciate if somebody can tell me when is suppose will be the next redesign for the tacoma? My question is because I want to buy one tacoma 2007 and I want to be sure that this model will be at least 4 years more. Thank you very much.

Andres

2. Nov 22, 2006 at 6:04 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    Que tal Andres! The last major redesign was in '05 and as far I know, they're keeping this one for the time being. Anyone hear anything differently?

3. Nov 23, 2006 at 5:06 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Right on. Toyota has a history of not messing with a good thing. Welcome to TW.

4. Nov 26, 2006 at 5:05 PM
    dbergan

dbergan New Member

Member:
    I just bought my 07 SR5 on Friday and the dealer told me that Toyota will redeisgn the Taco for 08.....not sure if he is a trusted source or just full of smoke. ;)

5. Nov 26, 2006 at 5:06 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    Hmmm...that's weird. Did he say what kind of changes they would be making? I hope they don't F up the design.

6. Nov 26, 2006 at 5:12 PM
    dbergan

dbergan New Member

Member:
    No, he used this as the reason that he had limited access cab models in stock. Said that the new 08 design would be offically "leaked" by mid next year at the latest and so dealers were keeping inventory low since they might not be able to churn out the 07 models once the word was out. I bought my truck from another dealer (about a 2 hour drive away) and he had not heard this.....so.....I would take this w/ a grain of salt, could have been the dealer trying to stroke me (I was in the market for a Scion for the wife nd he was a dealer as well).

7. Nov 27, 2006 at 10:34 AM
    Layzboy

Layzboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Glendale,AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 Rerunner TRD Off Road Sunfire Red Pearl
    Just gettin started
    The '08 will NOT be a redesign but a refreshed look. The front end will be updated and options and colors will be added/changed.Typical updates for Tacoma are 3 years apart. A V8 for '08 is a poss option once the tundra get's bigger. Poss factory sunroof, leather and navigation system type of stuff. It's way to early for a major redesign on the Taco. Toyota trucks are going to longer intervals between major redesignes. Toyota cars are typically 5 years and trucks are 7+ years! The new Taco took almost 10 years.

8. Nov 27, 2006 at 10:57 AM
    ExitusLSU

ExitusLSU Active Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Is this speculation on your part? How much of refreshed look are we looking at? Got any links?

9. Nov 27, 2006 at 11:36 AM
    Layzboy

Layzboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Glendale,AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 Rerunner TRD Off Road Sunfire Red Pearl
    Just gettin started
    Basically comes from a source at the tech center. Basically the front of the Taco will get tweaked a little bit but nothing to major. No pics yet that I know of. Maybe at the Chicago or Detroit auto show might get a peak at the slight changes ahead. Toyota loves to debut in Chicago especially the trucks. Then again they may not show it at all until time for the '08's to come

10. Nov 27, 2006 at 3:31 PM
    amelia

amelia Member

Member:
    they wont be coming out with one in 08 thats 2 early they usually keep body styles out for 5-7 years before changing anything drastic like the tundra was just changed for 07 and it hasnt been changed since 00 so for the tacos we have intill about 2010 so buy away dude and this body style yotas the shit anyway

11. Nov 27, 2006 at 3:55 PM
    dbergan

dbergan New Member

Member:

Agreed....I made the decision that the current model was an incredibly nice looking truck and so didnt factor in a 08 "relook" into my buying decision. Could be that a new look is not preferable to me anyway, you know?

12. Nov 27, 2006 at 8:18 PM
    archer of loaf

archer of loaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    i do not see any changes untill 2010 or 2011 (or later)- the current truck is pretty awesome.

13. Nov 27, 2006 at 9:55 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    There will most likely be some minor cosmetic changes to the interior and exterior every 3-4 years (my best guess if Toyota continues with current trends) but a major overhaul of the body and driveline is anyone's best guess.

14. Jan 10, 2007 at 4:07 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    reprint from Automotive News:
    Future Products—Toyota
    Prius to get hybrid option, Tundra to take on trucks from the Big 3

By AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 08/15/06, 9:01 am et

Yaris: The 2007 Yaris sedan debuted in the spring; it replaces the Echo. The five-door hatchback currently sold in Canada may be added to the U.S. lineup.

Prius: Changes to body styling will come as hybrid technology advances. Consumers have said they like their hybrids to be noticeably different. So even as hybrid powertrains enter mainstream vehicles, expect Toyota to keep a quirky-looking one in the stable.

The redesign is likely for the 2010 or 2011 model year. The next generation probably will have plug-in capability, as in letting you plug it in to your house's grid to recharge and allowing you to drive on full electricity for the first 40 or so miles. It also may have a rheostat so drivers can select a performance or fuel-economy mode.

Corolla: Toyota has delayed the redesign for the United States by one year until spring 2008. A Toyota official blames this on engineering resources being stretched too thin. But sources say the original design and packaging were too plain compared to the Mazda3 and the Honda Civic; it was sent back to the drawing board.

Matrix: The redesign will come at the same time as the Corolla's, meaning the 2009 model year. Toyota wants the Matrix to be a destination vehicle for Scion owners.

Camry: The redesigned Camry debuted this past spring.

Camry Solara: Underachieving sales mean Toyota will kill the coupe and convertible after the 2008 model year. There is a chance a coupe could make a comeback in 2010.

Avalon: The redesigned Avalon debuted in spring 2005; no major changes are planned.

Supra: Not going to happen - all the rumors of the two-passenger sports car's return are false.

Sienna: The current Sienna minivan was not engineered for a hybrid powertrain. That has to wait until spring 2009, when the redesigned 2010 model debuts.

RAV4: The redesigned 2007 model debuted in spring. The RAV4 grew considerably, crowding the larger Highlander.

Highlander: The redesigned 2008 Highlander will move to the new Avalon platform, which means it will move up in size closer to the Honda Pilot and Ford Explorer.

FT-SX: This large crossover, arriving in summer 2008, is intended to be more stylish than the Chrysler Pacifica. Toyota thinks this is the segment where boomer SUV buyers are headed. And since their kids are grown up, the vehicle will be offered only with five-passenger seating.

The 2009 FT-SX will be slightly taller than a Volvo XC70 and an Audi Allroad. It likely will be assembled at the Princeton, Ind., plant alongside the Sienna. The FT-SX will have the Avalon's 3.5-liter V-6 and a six-speed automatic transmission.

Tacoma: No major changes are foreseen.

Tundra: The redesigned, full-sized 2007 Tundra pickup arrives in January. Expect the next Tundra to offer a choice of a 4.7-liter or a 5.7-liter V-8, although a V-6 could arrive later. Toyota U.S. executives torpedoed a more conservative Japanese design in favor of an aggressive American one.

Toyota subsidiary Hino is gearing up its U.S. manufacturing operations for what appears to be a heavy-duty version. But executives in Japan are being cautious about excessive engineering costs for variations that yield few extra sales.

FJ Cruiser: The FJ Cruiser SUV arrived in spring.

4Runner: A re-engineering is planned for 2009.

Sequoia: The redesigned 2008 Sequoia will be developed on the new Tundra platform; expect a choice of V-8 engines. But Toyota executives are worried that they miscalculated the market for full-sized SUVs. While the current Sequoia is too small, the redesign may be too big in an era of high gasoline prices. The Sequoia is expected to be the size of the Chevrolet Tahoe.

Land Cruiser: The icon of the truck lineup soldiers on. Markets outside the United States and Canada are to receive the re-engineered vehicle in 2007; the vehicle bows in both countries a year later.

15. Jan 11, 2007 at 5:03 AM
    keith1

keith1 Member

Member:
    Maple Valley, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4
    JBA Headers, TRD exhaust, Airraid intake, Pro Comp 3 inch lift
    Toyota is not supposed to change the Tacoma model again until around 2011 or 2012.

16. Nov 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I thought it was interesting to note the predictions were fairly accurate.

17. Nov 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Quite surprising. Magazine/blog predictions are normally WAY out in left field.

Products Discussed in

To Top