1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 won't start up

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Justsomeguybuddy, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Mar 26, 2017 at 3:27 PM
    Justsomeguybuddy

Justsomeguybuddy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD
    So I've got a 2002 tacoma extended cab with a 3.4L auto transmission. After a long road trip, about 20 miles from home, something strange happend. Going up a slight hill, it felt like it slipped out of gear, lost power to the wheels. When I pulled over, the engine was shuttering so I turned it off. Haven't been able to start it up since. When try to start it, I can hear the starter turn, but the engine doesn't crank.
    I got a scanner, and it is showing no codes.
    Took off the timing belt cover and everything is lined up (replaced in last 25k).
    Trying to solve this myself so really don't feel like taking it in to the shop.

Any guesses?

2. Mar 26, 2017 at 3:29 PM
    Midnighttaco08

Midnighttaco08 Traffic Direction Moonlighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB Indigo Ink TRDOR 2017 CM Tundra TRD OR 4x4
    Some Bubble Gum and Duct-Tape IG** Midnighttaco03 Camburg uni-ball UCA w/ CO Rear Dakar with Fox 2.0 bottom overload removed GG G3D radius bar 50" roof mount GG G3 straight 32" front valence Rago fab bed clamp pod mounts 2 GG amber pod rear OTRATTW custom switch panel in sunglass holder K&N cold air Gibson exhaust Alpine INA-W900 head Mr. Marv box and amp rack IDQ-10 - Interfire Mono Focal fx45 component front Alpine type S Co-ax rear Homer taco TRD Grill GG LED low/high beam TRD seat covers OEM bed mat Weathertech floor mats with replacement TRD-OR decals Weathertech in-channel vents GG Flush mount pod replament fog light kit GG green ditch mount 3x2 pods Fog lights anytime Tailgate hoseclamp mod LED dome light LED map lights LED reverse lights LED license lights Rear window decals: Mall rated, Tacomaworld.com, U-Haul power tow, soundtech, mammoth.
    Damn dude that sucks :eek:

Kinda sounds like it grenade'd... although I'm no mechanic, just mechanically inclined.

Sub'd for verdict.:popcorn:

3. Mar 26, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    disconnect battery, wait for a reasonable time, maybe an hour, reconnect, and see what is...your ECM/ECU could have had a hiccup...

4. Mar 26, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Lets get this straight. The starter is spinning, and the engine is not rotating at all (cranking). Is that correct.
    My first thought was the fuel pump failed, but that does not explain the no-crank issue.

5. Mar 26, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    Midnighttaco08

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Some Bubble Gum and Duct-Tape IG** Midnighttaco03 Camburg uni-ball UCA w/ CO Rear Dakar with Fox 2.0 bottom overload removed GG G3D radius bar 50" roof mount GG G3 straight 32" front valence Rago fab bed clamp pod mounts 2 GG amber pod rear OTRATTW custom switch panel in sunglass holder K&N cold air Gibson exhaust Alpine INA-W900 head Mr. Marv box and amp rack IDQ-10 - Interfire Mono Focal fx45 component front Alpine type S Co-ax rear Homer taco TRD Grill GG LED low/high beam TRD seat covers OEM bed mat Weathertech floor mats with replacement TRD-OR decals Weathertech in-channel vents GG Flush mount pod replament fog light kit GG green ditch mount 3x2 pods Fog lights anytime Tailgate hoseclamp mod LED dome light LED map lights LED reverse lights LED license lights Rear window decals: Mall rated, Tacomaworld.com, U-Haul power tow, soundtech, mammoth.
    I gathered that the starter motor is making a noise (maybe Clicking) but the motor won't turn over at all (Not Cranking)...:notsure:

Which explains my thought of catastrophic failure.

6. Mar 26, 2017 at 5:44 PM
    ThunderOne

ThunderOne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Nashville
    Vehicle:
    1ST GEN OR GTFO
    Toyota NERD
    do you have electrical power?

7. Mar 26, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Out of gas? (had to ask)

Clogged cat has shut down exhaust flow?

Midnighttaco08 likes this.
  8. Mar 26, 2017 at 5:47 PM
    Justsomeguybuddy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD
  9. Mar 26, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    Midnighttaco08

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like catastrophic failure of some sort.. The starter is just grinding on the flywheel is seems from the video...

10. Mar 26, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    Roadeater

Roadeater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kennesaw, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black Tacoma Prerunner TRD V6
    You may have a broken flexplate. Check it

11. Mar 26, 2017 at 8:06 PM
    jsabowabo

jsabowabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Evans, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtra Cab 4x4 TRD
    Stock
    This. The starter is spinning against the flexplate, but the engine isn't turning over. Teeth may be stripped out or the flexplate broke.

12. Mar 26, 2017 at 8:11 PM
    DoccoM85

DoccoM85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Vehicle:
    01 Reg Cab 4X4
    So take this for what it is, and this MAY be horrible advice. But a ear ago my 01 2.7 wouldn't start, battery was good, replaced the starter to no effect, sounded just like your video. I happened upon a post by random chance of a guy who floored the gas pedal while cranking it over and it sputtered to life with a plume of black smoke. So after hours of working on it I gave it a try and has ran like a top ever since.

Maybe vapor lock? Fuel pump is out?

13. Mar 26, 2017 at 9:17 PM
    Timmah!

Timmah! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Like he said, check the flex plate. There's an access plate at the bottom of the bell housing. There's 4 small bolts that hold it on. Once you get that off, you'll be able to see the flex plate. If you actually had a complete failure of the flex plate, you'll know it's broken because it will be flopping in there.

cruxofthebisquit likes this.
  14. Mar 26, 2017 at 9:28 PM
    Cazzwell

Cazzwell The Circuit Rider Signman

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky DCSB TRD Sport
    Stock.
    My guess would be the starter is not engaging because

A) the teeth are ground off on the starter or flywheel

B) the solenoid that dis/engages the starter teeth is bad and the starter is just spinning there.

C) the starter has come loose from the engine (happened on my old ranger, tightened up the mounting bolts and good as new).

Too bad you got an auto. If it was a stick you could pop the clutch to see if it was a starter issue. That's one of the main reasons I drive stick.

wilcam47 and cruxofthebisquit like this.
  15. Mar 26, 2017 at 9:52 PM
    Justsomeguybuddy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD
    Alright guys, thank you so much for the help. After pointing out the flexplate possibility, I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5h7kCs8sKU

I had the tick described in the video for a bit, but wrote it off as a sticky VSV... I was in the middle of a road trip and figured it could wait for a bit. Apparently I was wrong.... I'm guessing the flexplate finally gave out. I'll take a look tomorrow and let you know. :fingerscrossed:

Roadeater likes this.
  16. Mar 26, 2017 at 10:45 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Whats your battery voltage?

wilcam47 likes this.
  17. Mar 26, 2017 at 11:22 PM
    neatoneto

neatoneto Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT/Mass
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I'm terrible at this but heres my thought:

Similar issue on a 98 grand cherokee I used to own. If the car just pretty much died while running fine and seemed to slip gear I doubt it's the starter. Sounds related to tranny/flex plate. Something also tells me to take a look at throttle and crankshaft position sensors. This was the case in my old car.

cruxofthebisquit likes this.
  18. Mar 27, 2017 at 7:32 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    I thought CPS too but that wouldn't explain the starter failing at the same time.

I vote flexplate. it explains the whole "slipped out of gear" feeling AND explains the "sounds like broken starter/timing belt".

07 sport 4x4 likes this.
  19. Mar 27, 2017 at 7:57 AM
    TacomaCox

TacomaCox GO BUCKEYES!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Locust Grove, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2002 Black Tacoma TRD Prerunner dbcb
    17 Inch rims and Drilled and Slotted rotors, LED headlight bulbs.
    Subbed for future knowledge, good luck.

20. Mar 27, 2017 at 8:02 AM
    jammer

jammer 2003 Toyota PreRunner 3.4L

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lunar Mist Tacoma PreRunner 3.4l
    OME Coils/Bilstein 5100's front / 5125's rear 105 Amp Denso Alternator

Products Discussed in