1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

At a stop feeling ?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Do58, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Feb 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM
    Do58

Do58 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma limited
    do know if this is normal or not but I just recently started noticing . 2015 prerunner with 40k miles on it. My transmission seems to be fine in that I have 0 issues driving or shifting what so ever. Now what I have noticed is more so when motor is cold when I drive and then come to a complete stop sometimes within 5-20 seconds I will feel a “bump” . Don’t know how to really describe it because my truck doesn’t move or my rpms don’t do anything different. Hoping it’s just a “normal” downshift maybe and not transmission. Is that possible? I have no idea or maybe over analyzing this. It’s not major but enough to feel it when foot on brake or know it happened. Any thoughts? I have all my work down at Toyota dealership and do have extended warranty but hope it’s normal.

And it doesn’t happen all the timed that makes a difference
    Thanks in advance

2. Feb 15, 2018 at 11:37 AM
    akkyle

akkyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2014 regular cab 4x4
    Is it a bump like it shifted down hard? We have a 2000 toyota tundra that does that at a stop when it's cold

3. Feb 15, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    KCTaco77

KCTaco77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4
    3" Lift, AMP Running Boards and tailgate step, ANZO head and tail lights.
    Yeah this is common and my 2011 did the same thing. Basically it's the splines on the drive shaft binding up when coming to a stop, so the bump you are feeling is the drive shaft unbinding/releasing when stopping. Found this stuff (PTEE Teflon Lube) which is a Ford product but others have sworn by it. I used this on my driveshaft when I rebuilt it about 10K ago and so far so good.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyo...-ford-motorcraft-xg-8-ml1167-31508-42027.html

Do58[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 15, 2018 at 12:54 PM
    COXPLORER

COXPLORER Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Is this the same as greasing your driveshaft zerks?

5. Feb 15, 2018 at 1:31 PM
    KCTaco77

KCTaco77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4
    3" Lift, AMP Running Boards and tailgate step, ANZO head and tail lights.
    Unfortunately no this would require you taking apart the back half of the drive shaft. You would need to unclip the rubber spline boot around the rear drive shaft -this is where the splines are on rear drive shaft that are binding up, and unbolt the rear of the drive shaft from the differential and slide the rear portion of the driveshaft off. From there you would apply a thin layer of the Teflon lube on the splines and slide it back into place.
    Take Note:
    1) you will want to make sure that the rear of the truck is on jack stands and on level ground with front wheels chocked so the truck doesn't roll away.
    2) Make sure to mark on the drive shaft of exactly where the back portion of the drive shaft aligns with the yoke, since these driveshafts are balanced and if you don't put the rear of the driveshaft back on in the same spot could throw it out of balance. I just used some of my wifes finger nail polish to make these marks on the driveshaft and yoke.
    3) you can simply use a zip tie to re-attach the boot back onto the clip you had to remove.

picture of spline boot
    spline boot.jpg

COXPLORER likes this.
  6. Feb 15, 2018 at 3:52 PM
    Do58

Do58 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 white tacoma limited
    Thanks for the replies. As for the bump akkyle, yes. Sometimes it’s subtle and sometimes a little stronger. Not all the time, sometimes when motor is cold and sometimes not. Also doesn’t matter if I come to a hard stop or not. It literally varies.

7. Feb 16, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Common problem, even with older tacomas. AKA axle-wrap.
    I also used that Ford Motorcraft grease on the splines.
    Problem is not gone completely, but much better.

Do58[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top