1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AT Habitat, Atlas, & Summit Pictures, ideas, aaand BS

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by excorcist, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Feb 22, 2018 at 6:16 PM
    Foxtato

Foxtato Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    The Habitat is downright awesome looking, but I had a question to those that own the Habitat:
    What is are some of the advantages compared to a shell + RTT? After reading the thread, it seems that camp setup is faster overall, but I'm curious as to what other factors drove your decision to purchase one?

2. Feb 22, 2018 at 7:02 PM
    01 dhrracer

01 dhrracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes
    Vehicle:
    Still Shopping
    I agree Brian's is sweet. I am more inline with you. A reel nice canopy that I can still use to haul stuff but quickly utilize as a bare bones camper. Add a heater, a power-inverter a few built in lights and the rest that I need I can throw in when needed. Just wanted to give Brian/Goose-Gear a little plug and if anybody was not familiar with what is possible to see what is.

Helitaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Feb 22, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin
    Space.

We were running a RTT on a bed rack. We kept all stuff under a taneau cover. Had a second kiddo, so we needed extra room. Not just the crap storage, but the ability to sleep 4 adults.

4. Feb 22, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    excorcist

excorcist [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '06 dcsb, '86 pickup, '89 runner

The single biggest advantage for me was space. Compare the open RTT with the open habitat, and the cubic footage of enclosed space aren't even close, the habitat is cavernous compared to a RTT.

The other game changing advantage is the ability to stand inside and have a floor that isn't also your bed.

The habitat actually feels like part of the truck, vs a bolt on RTT, that always look out of place. The habitat is built to be a semi-permanent fixture on the truck, where the RTT, many (especially those with a shell+RTT) remove them and re-install on each trip, which is a pain.

Not having to climb a ladder multiple times a day is also a huge benefit for me, ESPECIALLY when you camp with dogs.

The Aluminum shell of the habitat is stout. The walls allow us to build out to suit our needs with attachments. No where near as easy to do with a traditional fiberglass shell or even a single walled aluminum shell.

The overall sleeping area has potential to be MUCH larger if needed (with additional sleeping platforms)

The built in awning can be a great advantage if you can utilize the space with a kitchen or otherwise.

The build quality and overall feel (of both tent portion and habitat body) is far and beyond any RTT I have seen personally. Also the tent portion is 100% weatherproof. (no rain fly needed) and in my experience there is ALOT less wind noise with the thick tent material of the Nemo tent.

The overall height of a traditional shell +RTT is quite a bit taller than the habitat. This becomes a big issue when you are on tight trails and branches are getting caught on your vinyl RTT cover which are very susceptible to ripping. Not to mention wind drag.

Also I was never pleased with the overall look of my truck with RTT. The habitat just fits so well on the tacoma.

This is off the top of my head, Im sure there is plenty Im overlooking.

In all honesty a shell and RTT or bed rack and RTT are great setups. We loved every second using ours. If you don't take extended trips, or don't camp all that much, there is probably no point in shelling out for a habitat.

SPOffRd, HomerTaco and CT3 like this.
  5. Feb 22, 2018 at 8:46 PM
    Foxtato

Member:
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Wow, thanks for the great follow-up post!

My partner and I are just getting into the whole truck camping thing - we currently have a rack with a RTT and so far so good. My goal is to use it as much as possible over the next year (especially during the spring/summer/autumn months) and then decide where to go from there. I think the Habitat is pretty cool from a 'swiss army knife' perspective, but it is a bit difficult to justify the cost straight up, so the more info I collect, the better.

Thanks again!

excorcist[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 22, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    Foxtato

Member:
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    @excorcist As a follow-up: what are your thoughts between the Habitat and a Teardrop?

7. Feb 22, 2018 at 9:16 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    For me, a teardrop doesn't make sense, for others it might be a good choice.

I camped with a very off-road capable pop-up trailer for a couple years, and even it had its limitations on where it could go. If there is one thing I dislike about exploring new areas, its not being able to get up that road, or not being able to cross that obstacle etc... Many times I like to get as far into the wilderness as I can when I camp. Any trailer is going to throw a stick into those spokes every now and then.

When you do end up getting stuck and are towing a trailer it often takes at least twice as long to "self recover"

Now none of these would be issues if you like to pound the pavement and camp in designated campgrounds, but if that were me, I would get a full size trailer not just a teardrop.

That and it is just one more thing to store and maintain.

8. Feb 22, 2018 at 9:25 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    This is the best way to determine your needs. No matter how many build threads you read, products you educate yourself on, videos you watch, etc.... nothing will come close to actually getting out and spending the days camping. Every trip I take I have a little post-it note and pen that I jot things down on while camping. These are things I could use, things I could change, or things I need to research etc...

On occasion I consider the possibility that I may not need to make anymore changes to the setup.... then I go on another trip.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  9. Feb 23, 2018 at 4:57 AM
    corprin

corprin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corprin

Here's my thoughts on a trailer I posted on a private forum.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  10. Feb 23, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    01 dhrracer

01 dhrracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Desert/Bermuda Dunes
    Vehicle:
    Still Shopping
    First I don't have either. But looking at a rack with a RTT-cost, security, space, flexibility on how used I would just build a platform and use a freestanding tent on it and still be able to just throw it out on the ground. Add in a canopy at $1000 on the low end to $2500 on the high end and still not have as much room and no ability to stand up the cost is close to half as much. Going to the other end of the spectrum a (Four Wheel Camper) you are looking at near $20,000 and maybe four times the weight (yes it is better equipped in its base form). But I don't want to haul that around every where and I can't use it as a canopy to haul stuff.

11. Feb 24, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    Foxtato

Member:
    Puyallup, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    It's a good point. Without a doubt, it seems incredibly easy to trow a lot of money at it very quickly. I mean, this is the TW forum, so it is quite easy to get caught up in mods, but still...

Like most things, I can see it coming down to convenience vs your bank account. That is why I agree with what others have said here: to make sure it is worth it before jumping in head first since it is such a large investment.

Thanks for your input - super insightful!

12. Feb 26, 2018 at 4:13 PM
    Helitaco

Helitaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Skagway, AK
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC OR
    I was able to investigate where my leak is coming from today. It seems most likely it’s from the two side panels. I know it was mentioned earlier that AT stopped constructing them with the side panels because of the possibility of separation. Well, it seems it was a good move on their part. I’m sealing up the outside of the panels with silicone and will report back it that stops the leak.

excorcist[OP] and tacofort like this.
  13. Feb 26, 2018 at 4:44 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Did you try reaching out to AT? They have been very helpful whenever I have had any questions.

14. Feb 27, 2018 at 9:04 PM
    Paris0514

Paris0514 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Quad Cab
    AT Overland Habitat Icon Stage 3 TRD Sema Wheels Cooper STT Pro tires TRD Pro Grill SSO Slimline Bumper Smittybilt Winch Synthetic Line Factor 55 Pro link CBI rear swing bumper CBI sliders Prinsu Design Studios cab and cap racks Dual battery ARB Fridge Freezer MSA drop fridge slide Head rest DVD players for rear seat passengers Yeasu 400xdr amateur radio Midland MXT400 Hondo Garage Unholy dash mounts
    Well after years of running an RTT I just put my order in for a Habitat. My wife and I are excited. This provides us the room we need having three small boys without going to a trailer.

I have a 2017 quad cab TRD Tacoma short bed. Trying to get ideas on how I should dress up the aluminum with my truck color. I have not seen any pics of a quicksand Tacoma with Habitat.

Suggestions?

D92C9ABB-C6EC-41B1-AC37-3EF2E7DFA0AC.jpg
    DA1FF000-B422-4FA5-ADF4-45DE507D6EB5.jpg

15. Feb 27, 2018 at 9:34 PM
    excorcist

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Nice looking truck... My favorite color toyota offers.... IMO an aluminum habitat will look amazing on it as is... I bet there is any option to get color matched vinyl wrap down the road if you decide you don't like it.

Did you go with a base model, if not what options?

16. Feb 27, 2018 at 11:27 PM
    SliMbo4.0

SliMbo4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DCSB TRD offroad
    BP51, BAMF hangers, BruteForce HC, SCS, Vagabond Drifter
    curious to see what options you went with also @Paris0514. I'm hoping to be able to put in an order for one this spring/summer. they do offer an option to color match but I was maybe thinking about a wrap if I don't like the aluminum look. figure it's gonna get some trail pin striping anyways

Paris0514 likes this.
  17. Feb 28, 2018 at 4:36 AM
    Paris0514

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    AT Overland Habitat Icon Stage 3 TRD Sema Wheels Cooper STT Pro tires TRD Pro Grill SSO Slimline Bumper Smittybilt Winch Synthetic Line Factor 55 Pro link CBI rear swing bumper CBI sliders Prinsu Design Studios cab and cap racks Dual battery ARB Fridge Freezer MSA drop fridge slide Head rest DVD players for rear seat passengers Yeasu 400xdr amateur radio Midland MXT400 Hondo Garage Unholy dash mounts
    I went with the cab sliding window and the hatch door window. I then had them put carpet in as thisbwill be close to a trip I have planned by the time it’s completed. I also had the two folding boards added. I made should have not had those as ibbelieev I could have made them for a 1/6 of the cost. Once again timebisbthe factor. I also had them add the 12 v and a lighting option inside. We currently have a drawer system. We want cabinets but could swing them as of now. Maybe next year. My wife did want the finger board seats. So we have them coming also. I ordered from Juniper Overland / also known as Four Wheel Campers in Colorado. Chris is great to deal with.

excorcist[OP], SliMbo4.0 and tacofort like this.
  18. Feb 28, 2018 at 4:36 AM
    Paris0514

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    Here’s the drawers

3F6B461C-4963-40D8-99C3-7B0746EC131E.jpg

travis.diller, Foxtato and tacofort like this.
  19. Feb 28, 2018 at 6:55 AM
    tacofort

tacofort Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO, Automatic, Cement
    Adventure Trailers Tacoma Habitat Pelfreybilt Rock Sliders Line-X Pelfreybilt Pro mid, Gas, Exhaust Reroute Skids Hondo Unholey Dash mount Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners Redline Tuning Hood Lift Struts Weathertech Floor Liners
    A vinyl wrap would look great. I paid the price to have mine color matched through AT and it looks glorious. You will be very pleased with their work. Looks like you have a great rig and your family will certainly enjoy it. We have a great little community here and everyone is more than willing to help with answering questions or showing off their latest mods. :cheers:

Hope you have a 8' garage door. LOL

excorcist[OP] likes this.
  20. Feb 28, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    SliMbo4.0

SliMbo4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DCSB TRD offroad
    BP51, BAMF hangers, BruteForce HC, SCS, Vagabond Drifter
    sounds pretty close to what I'll be ordering. front & rear windows, carpet, Goose gear folding seat things, lighting option, 3rd person sleeping platform. I too will be most likely ordering from Juniper Overland since they are right down the street from my work.

excorcist[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top