1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATF Leaked all over Engine Bay/Driveway

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BartMaster1234, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aug 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM
    BartMaster1234

BartMaster1234 [OP] American Auto Horns

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Francisco, California
    Vehicle:
    1998 PreRunner 4x4 2.7l Supercharged
    Flux Capacitor
    So I was trying to drain my power steering pump/system, and I disconnected the upper return line (connected to the pump) and went inside and started turning the wheel lock to lock to get the fluid moving.

Well I accomplished exactly that because ATF Started spilling out of what looks like the bottom of the power steering pump and coating everything below it in old ATF. I noticed after soon seeing a pool of ATF on my driveway.

It looks like the alternator got coated in it, and everything below it.

What is the procedure? I reclamped the upper return line and it stopped dripping from the bottom. Is ATF flammable? If I start the truck I'm afraid it'll catch on fire. (probably a crazy stupid question but can I hose down the components that got touched by the ATF? How do I get rid of the ATF coating the engine bay?)

Yup, rookie mistake I know. Guess this is what I get for trying to save money and doing it myself.

EDIT: I fixed it, everything is okay now. I overreacted. I wiped all the ATF off and nothing exploded. Turns like a dream now.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. Aug 28, 2016 at 1:22 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    In the future, I recommend some non-flammable brake cleaner. Works like a charm for spilled oil in tight places where you can't get a rag.

3. Aug 29, 2016 at 7:55 AM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    Agreed! I spilled oil on my alternator and below the oil fill area and brake cleaner did a great job cleaning it all up.

Products Discussed in

To Top