1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

attn anyone with a pre 1997 taco with a TRD SC

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by bass mechanic, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Nov 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    ok i know what everyone is going to say but i know someone on here has successfully installed a trd supercharger on a pre 1997 3.4l engine. i have a 1996 taco and just installed the SC
    after extensive talks with URD and TRD i have come to find that some have had sucess with installing a sc on a 1995-1996 taco, however searches on the web dont return anything good, only people who had problems.

TRD tells me that if you buy a remanufactured ECU for the 1996 model truck the part number will have -84 at the end of the part number, these ecu's are remanufactured and reprogrammed with the latest software. TRD tells me that they have seen several people see success using this ecu. in fact TRD says they know of some people who had success with the stock ECU and upgraded to the -84 unit for better proformance.

URD swears that they have even seen people with the oem ecu on a 1995-1996 install the SC and their 7th injector kit or fuel upgrade kit and also had success with the original ecu.
    i have already ordered the new ECU and URD says i will be the first person they know of who had tried that. hopefully in the comming days or weeks till the ECU arrives ill have good news to report as my truck like so many others keeps pulling timing to the tune of about 0-4 degrees BTDC and as a result im getting less power running 7.5 lbs of boost verses stock its eating a ton of gas too!
    URD thinks the ecu is going into a sort of pannick mode when it sees the boost. TRD confirms that the stock ECU is non learning, not exactly sure what that definition is other than the fact the ecu does not seem to be able to adjust from its internal map when it sees all the boost.

in the mean time till the ecu arrives ive tried several things and found some interesting info, for 1 thing i tried disconnecting the knock sensors thinking it was pulling timing from the knock, i found that the timing remains pretty much the same despite no knock feedback, the Check eng light of course came on and i dont know if the ecu goes into limp mode and uses the last known ignition map or not, i dont think its that smart.
    interestingly enough no knocking or pinging of any kind at low or high rpm and under full boost.
    next i tried to put a zeener diode across the maf sensor to fool it into thinking the air flow stayed below boost. it limits the voltage at 4.7 volts. i gained a little more power and timing with this approach and had to use the URD AIC to add some fuel and left the timing adjustment along at 0 degrees retard. the scan tool reported about 6-8 degrees retard and i think i may ave seen a click or 2 higher than that n the top end. the truck pulled nicely at about 4k and up under WOT which tells me less timing retard is the key.

im not a tuner by nature but ive been told about 18-20 degrees advanced timing would be ideal. with all that timing lost explains why im loosing power.
    im so frustrated, i hope the new ecu works, i DARE this truck to ping! because i can easily pull that timing out with the AIC
    anyway gadget says he has several customers running the TRD with pre 1997 trucks, he gets a handfull each year that have issues like mine for unknown reasons.
    i would just like to hear a couple success stories to reaffirm its possible to make this work.
    fortunatly my local toyota parts guy is a friend and he is going to allow me to try before i buy the $720 (special priced) ecu. if it doesnt work we are sending it back. i just could not handel playing a 700 dollar game of craps.

does anyone here either have a success story or know of someone who does?
    thanks in advance!

Products Discussed in

To Top