1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audio install

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Scarab, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Nov 29, 2020 at 9:43 PM
    Scarab

Scarab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Pro
    I finally had enough of the factory speakers, non JBL, in my Taco. The biggest issue was the lack of bass. I looked at various options including OEM Audio Plus. That looked like a great plug and play system with good reviews but the price was a little more than what I wanted to spend. I ended up building my own system, mind you I have no audio install experience. This forum was a great resource and I just wanted to share what i did.

General parts used:
    - Kicker subaru tweeters
    - Kicker CS speakers
    - Kicker Comp RT 12" sub
    - Kenwood Excelon 5 channel amp
    - Metra T harness made using this helpful guide, https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/tpp4s-no-nonsense-guide-to-kicker-key-t-harness-16-19.642415/ (I had to modify mine slightly as I was not going to a Kicker Key amp). Also, I don't think this T harness works on the latest model of Tacos because I believe the pinouts are different. I have a 17 Taco as a reference.
    - Cables such as speedwire, AMP cable, etc.

I didn't want to splice into the back of the factory head unit so I made the metra T harness. If you plan to do something similar and a novice like me at installing car audio, I highly recommend reading through the instructions on the T harness link above. Mine is a little different because I didn't use a Kicker Key amp and ran using speed wires. I did solder and shrink tube the connections which I had never done before either. Then used Tesa tape to clean it up.

IMG_8100.HEIC.jpg

To install the speakers, there's a great youtube video by OEM Plus audio that shows the step by step process. I recommend getting the panel removal tool along with extra panel clips as you may break or lose a few. Some of mine fell between the gaps and found a forever home in between the door panels.

The most time consuming and difficult part of the the install turned out to be running the amp and speaker wires. Some of those panels were a pain to get back into place. For the amp cable, I used a 4 gauge wire and this ended up costing me the most time trying to run this through the firewall. Long story short, I ended up going through the passenger side firewall and used olive oil so I could pass the wire through. See pic (the cable is protected in the plastic split cable tube).

IMG_8344.jpg

I placed the subwoofer behind the back passenger compartment (I have a double cab). I had to remove the plastic storage bin. The pic shows the plastic behind the seat but ended up removing it as well since it rubbed slightly against the sub. Once in there and adjusted, the sub fits perfectly. Have to be careful folding the seat down as it will rub against the sub. I think going with the 10inch version or smaller, it may give you more room but the 12 seems to fit fine without major modifications other than removing the storage bin and plastic seat cover.

IMG_8096.HEIC.jpg

I mounted the amp under the seat. Make sure you ground properly. I found an existing grounding point that I used so I didn't have to drill any holes and sand down to the metal.

IMG_8104 2.jpg

Then had to tidy it up using Tesa tape so that the wires didn't interfere with the seat operation. If you go this route, make sure the amp and cables have plenty of clearance and secured properly so that your seat will function properly.

IMG_8107 2.jpg

Installed the remote level knob for the amp in one of the blank accessory switch panel. I had make some cuts on the backside of the blank so that the knob would fit and work.

IMG_8267.jpg

I am happy with the install and I'm not an audiophile but everything sounds great and a vast improvement over the stock in my opinion. I noticed overall clarity and volume but the biggest was the bass. That 12 puts out a hard punch when turned up slightly.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    pochoboy, tclavell, 3.5lpanda and 2 others like this.
  2. Nov 30, 2020 at 6:29 AM
    Phich

Phich Porkchop Express

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road tuned to KDMax perfection
    Six Demon Bag
    While I am happy with the stock speakers, one of the main things I appreciate seeing on TW is people who take pride in their work and do nice, clean, well thought out DIY installs, mods, etc. That is a nice clean install :thumbsup:

But your dial switch is about 1.5mm high so it's not centered on the switch panel. Start over.

I jest! Nice work dude.

SIK99Tacoma and Scarab[OP] like this.
  3. Nov 30, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Scarab[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 30, 2020 at 1:01 PM
    Scarab

Scarab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Pro
    I glossed over a lot of details to keep the write up shorter but if you have any questions just msg me. Be more than happy to help.

Products Discussed in

To Top