1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Austin Texas

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 007Tacoma, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Oct 2, 2007 at 4:41 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma [OP] I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Disclamer: I intend no offense to TRDeity or any of my other friends from Austin.

I don't normally curse. I sound like an idiot when I do. That being said - WTF!?!?!:confused:

I had to install some computer systems in Aledo, TX on Friday. So I left my house at 3:45 in the morning, and took some back roads through the hill country to take in the scenery. It was a gorgeous drive even with the morning fog. It took me 4 hours and 40 minutes to get to Aledo (Fort Worth Area). I think I spent a max of an hour, maybe an hour and a half getting these guys setup. No big deal.

About 11:15 or so I start to head back to San Antonio. I have to go by my boss's house to pick up his trailer, so I decide to take I-35 down through Austin. I stopped for fuel and some lunch. Now, I have driven through Austin plenty of times on the weekend, and I know that traffic can be bad then. I had no idea what it was going to be like on a weekday.

I got into Austin around 2:45 and spent 2 hours in Austin.

I know what you're thinking: Oh, well, Mark must have gone to seen the sights or gone shopping for his wife or - NO. I spent 2 hours in traffic on I-35 watching a piece of paper in the wind make more headway than my truck. I think my emissions made it back to San Antonio before I did.

WTF! This wasn't even rush hour? Err - at least it wasn't when I started. :rolleyes:

I lived in Houston for 2 years, and never sat in such bad traffic. This is the Capital of Texas and we can't even evacuate if the Carolinians come knocking on our door (for ndcouch). No wonder Texas has such a viscious reputation. I know I don't want to mess with Austin again. Did somebody not pay the engineers who thought up the highway system? Was this a cruel joke to keep people from moving to Austin.

BTW - this is the ONLY reason I wouldn't move to Austin. It is a gorgeous city with tons to offer. I would compare it to Charleston, SC without the ocean right there, and bigger, and with horrible traffic. :( Okay, so I am not going to get the job as director of tourism for Austin, but I am okay with that. I am just not okay with that highway.

I didn't make it back to my house until 7:00 PM, then I got back in the truck and drove to Houston to pack up my house some more. (insert zombie icon here).

I am calming down now. That is only because I know I won't make that mistake again (unless TRDeity tricks me into coming up for a beer). For those of you traveling through Texas - avoid Austin unless you plan on staying - at least for 2 hours.

2. Oct 2, 2007 at 5:51 AM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I'm not familiar with the area your are talking about but it sure sounds like urban sprawl to me.

You should see Toronto :rolleyes:. They took the roads that were designed about 50 plus years ago and added about 5 million cars/trucks and threw in a few million houses. And add summer construction to that mess and you'll spend the day trapped in traffic.

3. Oct 2, 2007 at 5:57 AM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Was there a wreck causing the delay? I go down there to work on some phone systems from time to time. I leave my house about 5:30 or 6:00 when I do and get there about 9:00 or 9:30 (on a good day). The traffic is very heavy once you get in to the Round Rock/Austin area. I guess that may be the back end of the rush hour. I'm in Dallas a lot more often and I can definately say that traffic in Dallas "SUCKS"

4. Oct 2, 2007 at 7:55 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    I-35 through Austin is notorious. When I lived there I avoided it like the plague, and I still take special care to consider my timing if I have to drive through there these days. The best alternate for you would have been to exist 360 West to 290. We took the kids down to Sea World early in the year and we took 290 all the way to 281. If your destination was more south or east SA, then you'd want to take the highway through Wimberly (forget the number) into New Braunfels to 35. That's a pretty drive, but the roads are wind-y.

Also, against all reason, it seems the lower deck of 35 through Austin tends to move quicker. But don't tell the Carolina Alliance. We'll let that be a trap to them.

5. Oct 2, 2007 at 9:47 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels

Do ya hear that boys!!! we're goin to Austin!!! We can invade and nobody can even escape! thanks for the great idea 007, we may let you in the Alliance after all ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top