1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Dimming Mirror

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by skierpunk, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Dec 22, 2007 at 5:32 PM
    skierpunk

skierpunk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Off Road.
    TRD mats and seat covers, smoked tail lights, smoked turn signal corners, Revtek lift, Access LE tonnaeu, HIDs, grillcraft mesh grill, TRD CAI, custom bike racks, Alpine system.
    I'm a soon to be tacoma owner and was wondering if it is possible to fit the auto dimming mirror on 2nd gen taco in the 1st gen taco? These mirrors are magic at night and I'd love to drive with one if possible.

2. Dec 22, 2007 at 5:41 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    I don't think the mirror will fit up there with our setup. IIRC, the mirror in the 2nd gen Tacos are part of the console.

3. Dec 23, 2007 at 6:36 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not sure how the older trucks are - but the newer trucks have that triangular thing attached to the windshield that you slide the mirrors onto. You could probably add the triangular thing (with appropriate adhesive) if you dont' already have one.

This is my homelink auto dimming mirror I got off ebay. Wiring is hidden underneath that black strip and hooked up to the power in the upper console.

[​IMG]

Or - find a similar auto dimming mirror (on ebay for instance) that'll work with your truck.

4. Feb 11, 2008 at 10:07 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Black,Sport package,
    Sport pedals, Extang full-tilt cover, Magnaflow exhaust system, XPEL invisible paint protection, TRD short Shifter, Hood struts, Homelink mirror, Dbl power outlets,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Muth heated signal mirrors TSB. Lo-Tek Pilllar pod with Glow-Shift gauges, 4x4 illuminated switch, Pioneer Z110BT (upgraded to Z130BT) w/2011 toyota tailgate backup camera,traffic tuner, parking brake bypass. Leather interior w/heated seats. LED's installed in glove box, center console, front and rear cupholders, rear console vent, AFE CAI, LED taillights, under hood lights, LED bed lights, oil catch can, extra D-rings installed in bed, frame replaced, Bilstein 5100, fronts set at.85, FOCAL Auditor 6.5" componet speakers. Replaced lower center dash panel with 2011 dash panel, installed USB charger and relocated seat heater switches to lower panel.
    I have a 2008 TRD sport with the overhead console, and I am planing on installing the Auto dimming mirror with Homelink. Searching the forum it looks and sound easy if you have the overhead console. My question is removing the existing mirror, do you just pull down on the mirror and it slides off the triangle thing attached to the window. Then just slide the new one on. I have replaced mirrors on GM cars and that was how they work. This is my first Toyota and not sure if they are the same.

5. Feb 11, 2008 at 10:23 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    There should be no reason you can't do this. Metal button thing goes on the glass. (you get the adhesive from your local auto parts store.) Mirror mounts to the metal button thing, tap your power from the lights. Should be easy if your perspective truck has the curtosy map lights option right there by the windshield, would be a little more time consuming if you have to tap your power from the dome light itself a little further back.

6. Feb 11, 2008 at 10:26 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    The one in my old f-150 had a set screw, and then slid up, but either way, if it is slide up or slide down (not sure as I've not taken the mirror off the Taco yet) it should be a cake walk to do.

7. Feb 11, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You gotta remove that plastic cover piece. I think I popped that off with a screw driver.

I'm pretty sure the mirror slides upwards. I don't think there was a set screw - but perhaps a 'tab' that you pressed?? It wasn't that hard to figure out. I didn't even know WTF I was doing - and I figured it out. If I can do it, anyone can do it. :D

8. Feb 11, 2008 at 11:24 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Black,Sport package,
    Sport pedals, Extang full-tilt cover, Magnaflow exhaust system, XPEL invisible paint protection, TRD short Shifter, Hood struts, Homelink mirror, Dbl power outlets,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Muth heated signal mirrors TSB. Lo-Tek Pilllar pod with Glow-Shift gauges, 4x4 illuminated switch, Pioneer Z110BT (upgraded to Z130BT) w/2011 toyota tailgate backup camera,traffic tuner, parking brake bypass. Leather interior w/heated seats. LED's installed in glove box, center console, front and rear cupholders, rear console vent, AFE CAI, LED taillights, under hood lights, LED bed lights, oil catch can, extra D-rings installed in bed, frame replaced, Bilstein 5100, fronts set at.85, FOCAL Auditor 6.5" componet speakers. Replaced lower center dash panel with 2011 dash panel, installed USB charger and relocated seat heater switches to lower panel.
    Thanks Janster, that was what I was looking for. Now I know that is a plastic cover that has to come off first. Reading the info on the mirror, I wanted to be sure I did not need any special mounting hardware for the new mirror. I think I'm going to purchase the mirror from Webleysells. He seems to have the best price. I saw where he was recommended by another member of the forum.

To Top