1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Limited Slip Diff - what is it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by Silver Seeker, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Don't dig yourself to the frame. If you see you are no longer moving let off of the gas and back up.

2. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    GeoTaco1

GeoTaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....
    driving is the opposite of most off road conditions, because we dont want to dig in to get un-stuck. And going up-hill in sand must be the toughest condition type.

I am going to try it so I can feel the difference soon:

1. Try up hill in 4H, if stuck, shift it in 4L and lock it, but it may not go
    into 4L, thus I will have to Reverse back out

2. Try putting it in 4L with ATRACK on

3. Try 2WD with Auto LSD

Any other suggestions?

3. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    It will go into low. I have noticed that if you lock into high while moving it will always go into low from high. Try it all out. The auto in sand is new to me because my manual Ranger would only be happy on sand when I used low. But with an auto the converter will slip so high is better IMO because you can get wheel speed.

4. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock

the trick is to give it more gas...

It is automatically on in 4hi. not on in 4lo

the more gas given, the harder the brakes grab and is actually stronger than a mechanical lsd.

5. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks Buddy :)

6. Mar 11, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    No problema!

As for sand... H4 with TRAC is the best choice... If the sand is so loose you start to bog down, stop and DEFLATE TIRES to 15 psi and as much as 10 psi... You will be able to motor on out.

If you do bury the truck because you got excited when it stopped moving forward... A-TRAC works at extracting it out... At the very worse, you will need to remove all sand from in front of the tires and differentials so that nothing prevents you from rolling forward with minimal horsepower.

Standard modes (TRAC) in H2 and H4, and A-TRAC always on in L4, works for most of your driving needs.

7. Mar 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    GeoTaco1

GeoTaco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geo
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    NEW Toyo TIRES Bed Cage to hold 120 LBS of sand and fishing rod holder, window air deflectors, Bug Deflector, & finally Avid Light Bar and step rails....

I have driven it on sand in H4 with no issues.
    But there are some area I have to climb up about 40 degree incline. I have seen manyguys burry themselves, including my Jeep. So my real question is, is L4 with A-TRACK Pressed better than H4 (which has TRAC)?
    Or should I try first H4 and see if I can get up the hill, otherwise back up and try in L4 with a_TRAC? I assume I should not have to lock the differentials in sand?

Thanks!

8. Mar 11, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    4wd low with ATRAC is better for off camber situations. In the sand you will work the hell out of the system. You can try it locked in low and see what happens but wheel speed is what you need.

9. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    Sand climbing (dunes or blow-sand against mountains) is fun to try and something you may not be able to do without greatly reducing tire pressure.

Last week I was playing on blow-sand with my new Dynapro tires, and having fun... but I only did what I could do with full pressure in the tires. Yet, except for the steepest part of the sand dune, I motored about fine.

Low Range/ A-TRAC won't get you any further up a sand dune that High Range/ TRAC... from my tests... Both got to about the same point. The locker didn't change the climb, and low range with oppen differentials only got half as far up the dune.

By all means, try different methods on your sand... and if none of the traction choices climbs the dune you need to climb, drop the air pressure and you WILL climb... I think High Range with TRAC will be the key... less digging in and more speed to stay on top.

Let us know!

To Top