1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Limited Slip Diff - what is it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Silver Seeker, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:50 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Sand climbing (dunes or blow-sand against mountains) is fun to try and something you may not be able to do without greatly reducing tire pressure.

Last week I was playing on blow-sand with my new Dynapro tires, and having fun... but I only did what I could do with full pressure in the tires. Yet, except for the steepest part of the sand dune, I motored about fine.

Low Range/ A-TRAC won't get you any further up a sand dune that High Range/ TRAC... from my tests... Both got to about the same point. The locker didn't change the climb, and low range with oppen differentials only got half as far up the dune.

By all means, try different methods on your sand... and if none of the traction choices climbs the dune you need to climb, drop the air pressure and you WILL climb... I think High Range with TRAC will be the key... less digging in and more speed to stay on top.

Let us know!

2. Jul 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab 4x4 base
    http://www.tacomahq.com/4641/inside-tacoma-differentials/

I consider myself an intelligent person when it comes to different things, however the AUTO LSD toyota sells is very misleading to me. When I read AUTO LSD I think hydraulic or mechanical differential. After reading the article above AUTO LSD is nothing more than rear differential traction control.

I wonder how AUTO LSD responds to aftermarket differential lockers.

To Top