1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto LSD and Rear locker on 09 Offroad package

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bart, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Oct 2, 2008 at 7:09 AM
    Bart

Bart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin,NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD V6 4x4
    metra ipod
    I want to know how to get it in my 08 double cab, and why they didn't do this before 09.:mad: I hate my open differential when going up some gravel road's and thing's around here. I'm about 75% on road and 25% offroad. I think I'm just jealous.:( The locker in my 08 is just fine when I went to moab and crawled up some slick rock. No LSD is going to help you out there! The problem is I don't really use it that often. Ive seen the mod's where you can turn it on but that really look's to complex to me someone need's to figure a way to make the mod a plug and play type thing I would by it.:rolleyes:

2. Oct 2, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Not just a plug and go, Auto-LSD tied to the whole VSC/TRAC system on 09's, which not on 99% of 05-08's.

If you hammer the gravel roads and really made an Auto-LSD work, you'd probably overheat the system/your brakes anyway.

3. Oct 2, 2008 at 7:30 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I would also like to get traction control on my 07. I would think that it is just an additional module, but I really don't know about it.

4. Oct 2, 2008 at 11:39 AM
    Bart

Bart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin,NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD V6 4x4
    metra ipod
    Guess I got to buy a new tacoma.

5. Oct 2, 2008 at 12:08 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    The locker-anytime mod isn't all that complicated. The biggest confusion to me was which end of the wire to use after it was cut. And due to the number of wires cut it will never be a plug n play harness or whatever. Just buy the $6 relay, read through the mod, look at the pictures, ask questions if you need too, and just do it. :thumbsup: It'll be cheaper than any other option out there! :D

6. Oct 2, 2008 at 1:15 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Personally I've never really found the need for one... either on my ranger or g35. G35 had vcc (traction control) but I ended up turning it off all the time. If it was raining hard I'd leave it on since it would help a little with hydroplaning (car was extremely low, and performance summer tires suck in rain). Ranger had crappy stocker continentals and they'd slip a lot in rain/gravel... switched over to some BFG AT's and it was rock solid all the time. Even drove it on ice (granted, not rock solid but I find vcc/traction control to be highly unpredictble myself). My TRD Off-Road has been great on gravel roads thus far... I'll push almost 80mph on 25mph roads (uh... track? :whistles:) without an issue.

Ultimately I guess what I'm saying is... traction control and all that is great tech, but nothing beats learning how to properly drive and recover on RWD. The less reliance on such systems, the better off you are.

7. Oct 31, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    are u sayin u have a locker that only turns on in low4 but no lsd?

8. Oct 31, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

You can't have an LSD and locker on the same truck. Different gears, different housing.

9. Oct 31, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i also dont believe that u get the auto lsd on the offroad...open except for the locker. everything else has the auto lsd. just like u get atrac on the offroad, but get trac and vsc on the auto lsd models

10. Oct 31, 2008 at 8:01 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    ok so if i get one with auto lsd or lsd, then what all do i need to do in order to get a locker installed? do i need a whole new axle or case? or can i just replace the lsd with the locker?

11. Oct 31, 2008 at 8:35 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

I think you need a whole new rear axle. Seems like I read somewhere that the rear differentials for LSD and locker are different sizes. So you have to replace the whole thing.... Not sure how that affects doing something like an ARB air locker if you have an LSD.... :confused:

12. Oct 31, 2008 at 9:33 PM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    The locker mod is so simple!As long as your not color blind.Spend a few bucks at Radio Shack and you have locker On Demand.Doesn't get anymore plug and play,20 minute job tops.If you search the forum there is directions with wire location breakdown.Grab a beer and add some traction.

13. Oct 31, 2008 at 10:03 PM
    P. Bauer

P. Bauer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    TRD S/C :: Intake Camburg SwayAway Magnaflow American Racing Donahoe Racing Wheelers OffRoad
    auto lsd basically uses the brakes to stop the spinning wheel which pushes power to the other rear wheel. Other car manufacturers call it EBD (electronic brake distribution), in essence, it's the same thing. The diff is still an "open" diff, which is why you can "lock" it up using the locker.

14. Oct 31, 2008 at 10:18 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    i got those directions saved in my favorites but i cant do the locker mod unless i get/put an elocker on a tacoma that comes with ebd or lsd or whatever.

Products Discussed in

To Top