1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto LSD question?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2.7Tacoma2011, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mar 30, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    2.7Tacoma2011

2.7Tacoma2011 [OP] Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular cab 4X2
    Bone Stock
    Alright, I have a question for anyone who knows a bit about Toyota's Auto LSD system. I don't really mess around with burnouts a lot but something I did today got me wondering. If you do a burnout with auto-lsd on will it leave two marks? Toyota says that it brakes the wheel that is spinning to direct power to the other wheel, so will it be doing this back and forth very fast if you do a burnout? The only reason I ask is that today I went to the beach, and on a dirt road I decided to have a little fun. Whenever I intentionally spin my wheels I do it with all systems: Auto LSD, Trac, and VSC completely off so its just like a normal open differential, and all I get are one wheel peels. But today on the dirt road I pushed the button once so Auto LSD was on, punched it and both wheels bit down hard into the dirt and I spun them for about 30 feet leaving two marks. Does this mean that it was using breaks back and forth so fast that it made two marks, or was it just because I was on dirt that both wheels were spinning?

2. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The traction control just evens the resistance so both tires get the same power... instead of one tire (with less traction) doing all the spinning.

When I was testing my Tacoma's drive modes in the desert, doing 'burn-outs' on sandy roads... the AUTO LSD mode did create more even power distribution as I could create two 'rooster tails' of sand from the two rear tires. I posted that here on TW a couple years ago. I equated AUTO LSD to 'Posi-Traction', as in the film scene on 'My Cousin Vinny':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfgTWY_h-1o&feature=player_embedded

3. Mar 31, 2012 at 1:58 AM
    cintocrunch

cintocrunch Special Substitute Guest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport MGM 6MT
    Anytime fogs, Leer Tonneau
    I wouldn't do wheel spinning unless all systems were off, it's not worth overheating/extra wear on the drum brakes (even if they last forever)...

4. Mar 31, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Its a truck not a mustang.

5. Mar 31, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Really?... :rolleyes:

The point is that AUTO LSD is closer to a locked rear differential than TRAC for the effect of have both rear tires getting equal power... Because there isn't any engine regulation in AUTO LSD, you have full power to the tires. We have already read of TWers using AUTO LSD on boat ramps with success, when without it they cannot climb the ramp.

6. Mar 31, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I hope they made him clean up that melted rubber!

Products Discussed in

To Top