1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto LSD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Thelt, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Sep 30, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    IF this is the case, than the major difference seems to be in H4 (4WD-HI) in that you say the standard mode is open differentials or no traction control (TRAC OFF). On the 2009-2011 Tacomas the standard mode when you go into H4 is TRAC ON (no engine output regulation, same as AUTO LSD).

To have open diffs. or no traction control in H4 (or H2), you must stop the vehicle and press and hold for a few seconds, the VSC OFF BUTTON (truck with wavy lines below). Lights come on to let you know. Now, if you push that button again or restart the truck, you go back to the standard TRAC ON mode.

IN L4, only the OFF ROAD TRD has traction control, but it is a whole level stronger than TRAC, and is called A-TRAC (A=Active)... and instead of just limiting the non-traction tire's spin, it stops it... matching the rotation to the opposite tire, the same as done with a locker.

The big difference between A-TRAC and a locker is:

1) A-TRAC works on all 4 tires, unless you have the rear tires locked, then it only works the front tires.

2) A-TRAC is automatic in that it only locks up a spinning tire when it looses traction and not constantly. This is why A-TRAC does not affect steering ability as lockers do. You can leave A-TRAC 'on' any time you use Low Range... and it just remains on standby for when you loose traction, and only works then.

3) Another difference is because A-TRAC is automatic, the tires will occasionally spin as it checks to see if control is needed, while allowing you to make tight turns easily. The locker-only fans see this as a weakness, as their lockers don't allow any free spinning on one tire.

In the end, the A-TRAC vehicle makes it to the same location as an equivalent vehicle (same type tires, ground clearance, driver skill) with front and rear lockers, as we have seen in numerous Moab and Baja and other photos, videos. A-TRAC and a rear locker are standard features on 2009+ 4WD OFF ROAD TRD TACOMAS. :)

2. Sep 30, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Yup, you just need a couple thousand dollars over what the truck cost... maybe Christian will loan you the money? I don't mind a little noise and a little spin because I didn't need to add anything to my stock truck to climb or get through anything... even if I could afford to!

Thank you Toyota for an awesome product that delivers... "Oh, what a feeling!"

3. Sep 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    You might be correct Christian, but voiding a warranty on a $25-30,000 new truck might be a concern? Or what if they still wanted the TRD Off Road features which include a rear locker?

Anyone who does any serious off roading should at least try their A-TRAC before automatically spending $2,000 on a front locker. There really is no 'need' to have both.... IMO. :cool:

4. Sep 30, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    That is good to hear... about the warranty not voided when the drive line is modified...

'It' does indeed work. I have driven and owned four wheel drive vehicles since the 1970's... This is my third Off Road 4WD Tacoma, the first with A-TRAC... and boy does it work! Turns the truck into a tractor and provides the confidence of being practically or possibly stuck proof! Makes it easy to pull non-A-TRAC vehicles out of stucks, too!

I feel bad for you that you have not been in a condition to experience it, or have not put yours through its paces (I have seen your video and know you are not operating your truck to its full potential). The Toyota Tacoma is perhaps the best made mid size truck in America, and the Off Road 4WD TRD model is the most capable stock truck sold, IMO.

5. Sep 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    OP I think the one thing you're missing is setting the VSC switch back to normal mode before (or after) going into 4H. If you were to start your truck and drive it on a highway to a mud / sand pit, you could go straight to 4H wich is your highest traction setting for 4H (AKA TRAC ON). If you hit the button while in 4H you will turn TRAC OFF wich puts you in OPEN DIFF (bad thing)

So in short, hit the button once in 2H and it improves traction with ALSD, switching to 4H you dont want the button, you will get TRAC ON automaticly front and rear just by being in 4H.

6. Sep 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC OR 4X4
    some
    Anybody need wheel speed? TRAC or A-TRAC isn't going to give you that, yes it helps in the traction department, but I'm not in rocks, hard pack, slick rock, just sand and mud. Both systems are not very good in these situations.

7. Sep 30, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Good to here from a 2012 owner that they didn't change it!

8. Sep 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Agree because A-TRAC is only works in low range and low range isn't good in sand. Mud is different but there are many kinds of mud.

9. Sep 30, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC OR 4X4
    some
    Bottomless Everglades swamp mud!!! Have seen 70" tired buggys just swallowed up, don't go in there...

10. Sep 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    SERIOUS!

11. Sep 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    Thelt

Thelt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenoir, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 SR5
    When I put it in 4wd hi the TRAC is on. Hitting the VSC button while in 4hi will turn TRAC off.

12. Oct 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    MudFlap

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Allright, I went out and was able to test this out myself for a short minute today. I seen seem teens that had gotten stuck in an older Malibu and ran it hot trying to get out. They were in the back undeveloped area of a new subdivision where a street WILL BE one day, but for now its dirt, and it rained and they got stuck. I offered to pull em out and they accepted, they were happy to see me really LOL. I told them that I was not responsible for any damage to their car and the driver hooked up the strap himself. I hooked up and started pulling this car in 4H, with no buttons pushed or anything, it was doing pretty ok untill the idiot steering the car went right into the deep ass ditch like rut that was right beside us. We came to a stop, I poured the gas to the Taco trying to get her to pull on through. All of a sudden, the engine cut power and no matter if I eased onto the gas or floored it, the engine was still losing RPMs. I had to let off and ease back onto the throttle and I could feel the wheels turning but we were not moving. The engine cut power again, and since I had to let off for it to kinda "reset", I went ahead and switched into 4L locked the rear and had ATRAC on. Now in this mode, I was able to pull the car like 5 more feet while giving er hell and letting ATRAC do its thing. In the end though the car completly high centered and I COULD have pulled farther if I wasnt afraid to give it a decent yank. It wasnt because of my truck or my gear that I was afraid off, it was the ignorant ass 16 y/o kid that had already stuck his car THEN steered it into the ditch after he got help. I didnt want to give it too much and have him take out the back bumper of my truck. Anyway, I gave him a really gentle yank, and broke something off his car, I think he hooked on to a bumper cover support. By this time I was like I need to GTFO of here, this guy is an idiot. LOL He said he was gonna call his dad that owns a tow truck to get him out, I wished him luck and high tailed it out of there.

So yeah, like the OP says, I dont get why I got engine power cut in 4H with no button actions pushed. Im gonna have to investigate more on this.

13. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    MudFlap

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    bump for anyone that may have input on this

14. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Intentionally obtuse

Member:
    Bodie, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 RC Off-Road 3.5WD
    yes
    Pure speculation, but it's possible you overheated the transmission, so the ECU put the drivetrain into limp mode to protect itself. I don't know if the Tacoma even has this capability, but the situation you described could definitely heat up an AT quickly.

15. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    Sounds like they reverted back to the 2005-2008 4H default drive mode: Engine and brake regulation. Too bad you didn't do a short press of the VSC switch and another try in 4H to see what it did. I can only assume just brake regulation.

16. Oct 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    DoorDing

DoorDing Intentionally obtuse

Member:
    Bodie, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 RC Off-Road 3.5WD
    yes
    For all that ATRAC can deliver, I wish Toyota offered a factory front locker in addition to ATRAC. I'd much rather pay for this option than the more expensive trim levels, but I don't think there's enough demand for Toyota to offer it. If they did, they'd probably add a torque monitoring system to detect severe bind in the drivetrain before someone blew it apart when locked front & rear.

17. Oct 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    MudFlap

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Hmmm Dont know if tranny heat would be the issue.

Is it possible to over heat the AT in like 45 secs to minute worth of pulling in 4H? Seems rather fast I think. The dirt was kinda hard pack with like 1 inch worth of soft sloppy mud on top of it. I wasnt digging in while pulling, really just spinning all 4 on top of the slick stuff. Though I WAS trying to go really slow since the kid was stearing backwards and the strap is kinda short (gotta get me a longer one).

18. Oct 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    MudFlap

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Im thinkin I just need to do the locker mod turn all the nanny crap and trac stuff off, just shift into 4H lock the rear and give her hell. LOL

19. Oct 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    GP3

GP3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road
    Front: stock suspension, 12" wide fiberglass fenders Rear: stock suspension, 10" wide fiberglass fenders
    The idiot lights come on and the warning buzzer turns on if I remember correctly. I doubt anything overheated.

Edit: after a quick search:

20. Oct 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    MudFlap

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    OK thanks for confirming and letting me know Im not mistaking this for something else. If in 4H and I turn off TRAC, that leaves me with OPEN DIFFS front and rear right?

Is there a way to over ride the system and make it ALSD w/o cutting engine power?

To Top