1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto/Man.Hubs Why limited locker choices?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by arizonataco, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    arizonataco

arizonataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona
    Firestone Airbags ARE Camper Shell
    (Though this might be elementary for you long time wheelers)

I am trying to understand the following:

You can put a Lock Right "drop in type locker" on your Tacoma IF you have manual locking hubs.

BUT,If you have automatic hubs on 05+ you cannot and you must us an ARB locker type on front only.

I had a '97 Man. hubs (no lockers) and now a '05 with auto hubs and I'm trying to visualize and understand the differences of WHY a "drop in locker" wont work with auto hubs.

TIA

2. Nov 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I would like to hear as well...

Hubs, and a locking front differential are two seperate items.

The Tacoma has an ADD (automatic disconnecting differential) as opposed to auto locking hubs... but it serves the same purpose, to reduce front driveline wear while in 2WD. Auto locking hubs requires some driving in reverse to unlock, not an ADD which allows shift on-the-fly into or out of 4WD.

A locking front differential wouldn't do anything until you are in 4WD with thre hubs locked manually or the ADD is engaged (which is automatic when you go into H4).

3. Nov 8, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    First: Some people did put lockright in IFS ADD systems with different results. Some had no problems some had a lot of problems.
    Here is what I think happens in the front ( i never had one in front just one on the back). lockright is simple system that powers both wheels at the same time but allows to ratched one when in turn and not eoungh power. if power is applied it will power both wheels and make nice chirp chirp sound. When installed in ADD driver side powers the lockright which thinks its underpower and forced driveshaft to rotate to. So system ends up putting more drag on one wheel and front prop shaft just spins like its doing something.
    Its the same thing what happens when doing S turn on the parking lot with Lockright in the back. Truck buckles because lockright works not only when there is power difference coming from engine but also when engine is dragging (sort of reverse with wheel powering the system)

4. Nov 8, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    arizonataco

arizonataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona
    Firestone Airbags ARE Camper Shell
    Forgive my incorrect use of auto hub. I meant ADD and manual hubs.
    Thanks for the link.It was informative.As it states an ADD system is the same as having manual hub turned(on) all the time...interesting.

Since front drive is spinning all the time ( my 05 with ADD)if I install a non ARB locker type it would effect drivability.Hence ARB is the only option.

Anybody else want to chime in you are welcome to.
    Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top