1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto tranny hard downshift

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by hoosiertaco, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Sep 20, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Noticed today on the way to work that my Auto tranny downshifted hard enough to run the rpms up to 3000 from around 1200rpm. Had foot off accelerator and was going for some brake. Was running around 30 mph. I thought it did this the other day but wasn't paying close attention and snubbed it off. <700miles on vehicle. Anyone with same experience or some knowledge on the matter.:confused:

2. Sep 21, 2008 at 5:43 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I haven't quit figured it out yet... but on certain occassions when you're coasting (so to speak) and you step on the brake, it does downshift farther and seems to help with engine braking. If you're not expecting it - it tends to pitch your body forward abit from the downshift.

I think it's pretty normal.

I wish I could figure out how to make it do it whenever I wanted it to....

3. Sep 21, 2008 at 8:06 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    My truck is doing it too. (Yet another reason I hate auto, I really wanted a 6MT but getting a deal on an '08 sacrifices had to be made.) The entire time I'm decelerating it'll continue to downshift causing a lurch (although TBH I don't mind it doing this). It's the first auto I've ever driven that downshifts while cruising or lightly braking to a stop. From what I've gathered, it does retain a driving habit memory (for lack of a better term), so it's possible it's memorized that on occasion I force it to downshift (either for fun or to limit brake usage). Add in the fact I've been driving it like I stole it since around 1500 miles (just broke 3k now)... lol.

4. Sep 21, 2008 at 8:11 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    One thing I have been experimenting with, since it "learns" your diveing habbits, is to shift it manually for a while. I did this during my daily rutine and now it seems to shift just how I would want it to. :)

5. Sep 21, 2008 at 9:41 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'll have to try that....thanks for the tip!

6. Sep 21, 2008 at 12:33 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    Thanks for the input everyone...I feel better now.

I've trained a few birddogs, so how hard could it be to train a Taco!?!? Thanks Chris, great info...Just left a 5 spd Accord that I've been shifting for 10 yrs. Whats another few months of shifting going to hurt????? Thanks:thumbsup:

7. Sep 21, 2008 at 3:51 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Dont have to shift it that long. Maybe a day. When you go to work, and run an erand, shift it manually like you would want it to shift. I shift mine manually only once in a while. Maybe 2 months or so, just to keep it on its toes. :D And then, only when, say for example, comming to a slow freeway on ramp.

8. Sep 21, 2008 at 4:17 PM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    I love the passion everyone has for their Tacos. Its starting to grow on me. I'm refering to the phrase,'keep it on its toes'. Thats awesome!:DOf all the new vehicles I have bought, this is the best I've ever owned so far! Thanks for the help Chris, I'll start training him on my way home.:cool:

9. Nov 25, 2008 at 1:11 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    My 2008 auto is doing the same weird shifting .I have 8300k on it. Good to know it is nothing major ,but still will mention it to the dealer.

Products Discussed in

To Top