1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Transmission vibration

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by TacomaME, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Jan 29, 2011 at 3:41 PM
    TacomaME

TacomaME [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello I have a four cylinder 2008 Reg Cab with Auto transmission. When we got this Tacoma It had 11,140 miles in November of 2010. We now have 11,600 miles and I have noticed a new vibration when I am stopped and the truck is in Drive. I do not know what this means. I have shifted to N and I notice that the vibration goes away. I did not use to have this vibration and I do not know how serious this is or what to do to find out if it is serious. Can any one advise me please.

2. Feb 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    frog13

frog13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You probably did this...check the trans fluid.

3. Feb 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    dustinclm

dustinclm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White DC 4x4 V6
    Bilstein 5100 set at .85" WeatherTech Floor Mats
    my truck, 01 2.7L auto, and for years it has vibrated when stopped and truck is in drive, heard it could be due to an ehaust manifold leak causing some harmonic vibrations but i have checked and checked and multiple times and had the truck looked at and nothing could be found so i have just learned to accept the vibrations eventhough i would like to find the source becuase it makes everything in the truck vibrate...and i have changed the trans fluid multiple times, tune ups and had toyota change the trans fliud while they had it one weekend...still nothing, ptretty annoying

4. Feb 8, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    Tasthree

Tasthree Member

Member:
    Ours would do that which got worse and started making a noise. Turns out it was a cracked flexplate. But ours has over 150k.

5. Feb 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    dustinclm

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    whats a flexplate and how did u fix it? i have 125k miles so its possible mine could be cracked (i have looked everywhere for a fix) and i use to do a lot of hard mud ridding when the vibrations started
    after doing a little looking around I read that everyone who had a cracked flex plate said it would rattle, i dont have a rattle just a strong vibration at idle so i may have to rule this one out too unless im missing something - which i very well could be

6. Feb 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM
    Tasthree

Tasthree Member

Member:
    A flexplate connects your engine to your torque converter for the AT. There is a cover plate that you can remove to look at the flexplate. We have only owned the truck a short while. It had a vib at idle in gear. Put it in park or neutral it would smoth out. After a few weeks it started to make a noise which got louder and more frequent till I figured it out. You have to pull the tranny and xcase to fix.

7. Feb 8, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    dustinclm

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    wellll my truck vibrates at idle in N D and R and it will smooth out when the rpms go up like when the ac kicks on or you put it into N but once the rpms settle down the vibrations start again and its annoying and ever more annoying that i cant find it and im out of ideas but the flexplate doesnt seem like its my problem...

8. Feb 9, 2011 at 12:38 AM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
    my 05 with 117k does the same thing. vibrates in drive at the red lights and stuff. I posted a thread like this a few weeks ago and a lot of guys said it was completely normal. Im not worried about it now but as soon as it gets or IF it gets worse, I'll be in my local toyota dealer with in the hour.

9. Feb 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    dustinclm

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    yeah mine has been doing it for years so im use to it now but its still annoying, my truck is a 01 and i use to be a little rough on it when in the mud so i dont expect it to be in perfect condition but i keep it up pretty good now and it runs perfectly fine beside the vibration which at times seems like it can be a little excessive but a fix would be nice

Products Discussed in

To Top