1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto vs Manual which one is stronger?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jtgroce, Apr 21, 2012.

?

Auto or Manual which is more reliable?

1. Auto

550 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. Manual

521 vote(s)
    48.6%
  1. Apr 27, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Yes thats true of even older vehicles with e-ignition, e-fuel pumps and even e-carbs (late 1980's)
    And im not saying you cant take precautions. Just stating a fact.

If you can hear the tik tik of your solenoid but dont have the juice to turn her over, you usually have enough for the electronics in my experience.

I was on the Turnpike in Pa running fast down hill. I turned her off and smiled in neutral as I picked up speed. A couple miles later i shifted to 6, let out the clutch and was running again. An auto would have to start it again with the starter.

2. Apr 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    lickem66

lickem66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    12 V6 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6MT
    Ride-Rites, OE tubes, Tri-Fold tonneau, extra bed D-rings, OE bedmat, center console organizer, rearview mirror bracket re-locate.
    I hear ya. I grew up on the high pitched, ripping sound of 2 stroke MX bikes and something about the low, boggy sound of those 4 strokes kind of turns me off. I've gone to the MX races in Washougal a couple of times and also try to watch it on TV now and then but it's just not the same.

3. Apr 27, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    pa blaster

pa blaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    central pa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's front & rear , Eibach springs, LR uca,Icon progressive aal
    McGrath & back when super cross was cool klauts & mc-1 i think

4. Apr 28, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    Dragons Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Nice! Some real live data, hard to argue with metal.

Nobody would argue that the clutch is the weakest point on most any MT system. That said, mine has 85k on it, and should probably be swapped before i consider anything serious with it. So..........

Continued

5. Apr 28, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    The following comment is based on anecdotal evidence and is purely subjective but in my line of work i get to drive many rentals all of which are autos and I can say that the Tacomas auto is very nicely programed and behaves well if not better compared to other vehicles. Its a pleasure to drive. So many transmissions shudder and vibrate at speed and jerk/lurch when shifting from R to D or visa versa. That annoys the hell out of me and it cant be good for the drive line and IMO makes for a longer lasting transmission.

While splines may be an indication of strength of an out put shaft it maybe due to the fact in a manual its expected that there will be more shock loads. plus there are many other components that go into the strength of a transmission that just the output shat being beefier means nothing.

6. Apr 28, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    Dragons Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Ive got it.

Whowants to have a tug-a-war?

Me, MT sport, no elocker, 4wd
    You, Auto, 4 or 2wd, no OR, elok or arb please.
    I live in NC, not far from RDU.

Cheers.

7. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM
    MarAgt

MarAgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lugoff, SC
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma TRD
    Recently bought my new 12 access cab with a six spd; it drives great. Had to look high and low to find a 6 spd. A double cab can't be had in a six spd (travesty IMO, just my opinion though). I looked at Jeeps too. Very few of them were six speeds. I couldn't believe it myself. There was a time when no one would buy a Toyota truck or Jeep with an Auto (I've had Toyotas and Jeeps in the past, all standards). IMO very few Americans really know how to drive a standard any longer and they justify it by trying to sell that an auto is better. I'm not going to argue that one is better than the other; if you can't or don't want to drive a standard then an auto is automatically better for you. That's fine, everyone can drive what they like. Go to Europe and rent a car, better know how to drive a stick.

8. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:23 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You can get a 6spd DC

9. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:45 PM
    MarAgt

MarAgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lugoff, SC
    Vehicle:
    Silver Tacoma TRD
    It may be offered as an option, but try actually finding (getting) a DC with a 6 Spd; that's the real problem. Now of course, one could probably be ordered and built for someone if you wanted to wait for it.

10. Apr 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Half the guys on this site have 6spd DCSB Offroads

11. Apr 29, 2012 at 5:12 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Now that is funny

PK

12. Apr 29, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    wilki

wilki Member

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 regular cab 2.7 2wd
    I was just reading up on the Lexus LS400 made from 90-94 and they talk about the a340 auto trans. Thought that was neat that my 2011 2.7 had a340 auto. I am sure the ratios are not the same but a 4.0 v8 in a heavy car makes me think my reg cab 4 banger is got a proven auto in it. Hope i am right that its the same family. Sure somebody here can confirm.

13. Apr 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aisin automatics are very reliable. I know of one in particular that is near 1 million kilometers without needing repair, its seen 3+ different 22RE's, and been around since the mid 80's.

That said I have always had manual transmissions up until a couple years ago when I bought my Tacoma. It will be the last automatic vehicle I own, im constantly shifting it to behave like I want it to. I want a 2.7L with the 5spd, and originally was going to buy a brand new 2010 but got a nice deal on my 06. In the mean time I still have my 82 SR5 and Supra to keep my manual transmission fetish satisfied.

14. Jun 6, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    ToyComa84

ToyComa84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt(hew)
    "flatland"
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner sr5
    plasti dipped wheel caps,
    great question

15. Jun 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    ToyComa84

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt(hew)
    "flatland"
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner sr5
    LIKE (facebook) haha:cool:

16. Jun 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    ToyComa84

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt(hew)
    "flatland"
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner sr5
    in both the 1st and 2nd gens?

17. Jun 6, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    ToyComa84

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt(hew)
    "flatland"
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner sr5
    any way to tell which transmission model i have? ('03 2.7 i4 auto prerunner)

18. Jun 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    When I bought my 2005 DC, I had owned nothing but manuals prior, but was doing a lot of city driving then, plus D.C. beltway during rush hour, so I went ahead and got the auto. (Plus at the time the manual transmission DCs were more rare than unicorns).

It was great, I loved the truck and never regretted my choice, but when I came time for me to start shopping for my new 2012 DC, I was looking to get back into a manual transmission. I don't have the same commute any more, and while I do occasionally have to deal with traffic, for the most part that's not an issue any more...but the bottom line was that I just missed the stick shift.

I don't have too many miles on my new Taco yet, so I can't really comment on which I think is "stronger"...but I'm enjoying the manual transmission thus far. Mine came with the TRD Quickshifter as well, which I hear is an improvement over the standard shifter.

As far as I'm concerned, the auto transmission is great, so unless you're the type of person that just really enjoys and prefers a manual trans, just go for the slush box.

19. Jun 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    rcflyer

rcflyer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Gill MA
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB & 2003 XC
    I can't comment on the stronger either(i know, reason for poll) but I wish I had an auto. I like the stick but hate the drop off between 1st and 2nd when you start off and the idiot behind you almost rearends you cause of it.:mad: Yeah its only a second or so but in the mean time leadfoot larry is gaining speed behind you while you're busy shifting.

Greg

20. Jun 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    PaintDrinkingPete

PaintDrinkingPete Well-Known Member

Member:
    NoVA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    What year do you have? Granted, my Tacoma is brand new, but I've read a few folks complain about this, but I personally haven't experienced it in the brief period that I've had it. 1st to 2nd gear is smooth and quick for me.

EDIT: I'm curious if this is something that has been fixed in newer models, or something I should expect to happen to me down the line....

Products Discussed in

To Top