1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto vs. standard 6 speed trans????? what are your thoughts??

Discussion in 'Towing' started by 88 burban, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Sep 25, 2012 at 9:49 PM
    88 burban

88 burban [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    Currently a 88 Burban w/ 8" lift,
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this awesome website!!

So I am currently shopping around for a used Tacoma (2004 - 2008)... 4x4 with the TRD package and tow package....

here is my dilemma..... I do not know which transmission I should go with...???
    I am use to off-roading and pulling with a V8 suburban... now I know better than to try to pull what my suburban can!!!

For those of you out there that have the Auto trans (V6)... how does the tacoma handle? taking off, up hills, or when off-roading and your tires are simi-covered by sand or mud.... is there enough power to spin the tires and keep on trucking through those tough off-roading conditions?????

And those of you with the manual trans...... how does the clutch hold up while taking off at a light with a trailer behind you?? or even in rough off-road conditions??

My concern is that I dont want to be under powered with an Automatic trans but I also don't want to have clutch issues??

Any help at this point would be great...

2. Sep 26, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Poor handling of a clutch can obviously lead to premature failure. The key to engaging the clutch with a huge heavy load is that you want to engage it gently with little throttle. Its better to slip it a bit at a low power output than to grind it together under the full power of the engine and at high rpms. If you're running rough off-road conditions, your best bet is probably low range.

Once you're rolling, the manual will handle the load a lot better than the automatic. This is obviously just simple physics, less heat, etc.

Personally, I would much rather a manual for hard work. When a clutch lets go, the repair/replacement is simple and inexpensive. Rebuilding an AT though... major expense and down time.

3. Sep 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    88 burban

88 burban [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    Thanks I have had standard trans before so I understand clutch use as well as repair cost with standard trans.

Can anyone provide me with anything else in regards to auto vs. standard trans for off-roading & towing..??

let me hear some opinions please????

4. Sep 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    Boost JuNkY

Boost JuNkY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2003 TACOMA DC OFF ROAD
    35'S ON 3s
    For towing, auto for sure. Ive towed stuff with my 6speed and it takes getting used to, ive had mine for 2+ years and I still ride it at times, especially on an incline.
    Offroading, manual is more enjoyable for me but more work especially when crawling.
    I had an 08 auto sport b4 my current 6MT sport. I can say the auto tranny feels stronger.

5. Sep 26, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    88 burban

88 burban [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    anyone else???

80 views but only 2 responses??

I'm not asking for much just want to hear the more of the pros & cons from the professional.... you guys

6. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:27 AM
    exploringcarolina

exploringcarolina Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North Carolina
    Have not used an automatic much for towing.
    Currently tow a camper TT, boat, and motorcycle/trailer with a 5 speed manual. A 6 speed would be nice if 1st was geared lower for pulling the boat out of the water with the 4 banger. Six speeds make it easier to find the right speed/RPM combination on hills and mountains compared to a 5 speed manual.

7. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:31 AM
    VTTACOMA

VTTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benj
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, Black
    I stand by the manual 100%. More control all around. I definitely feel more connected to the vehicle. Especially in bad weather.

But when the shit hits the fan and things get crazy having to remember that you need to clutch can send some people over the top.

8. Sep 27, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    tacomatime

tacomatime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    3" leveling front, and 2" rear Rough Country. BF Goodrich 305/65/17 KO2
    It depends how comfortable you are towing with a 5 speed. Towing with auto trany is less abuse on your clutch. If you are going to be doing some desert driving, 4 wheeling, snow, then you might as well get a stick. I feel more in control with a stick, down shifting with manual, it gives you control on the truck.
    Tacomas have good transmissions, they take a lot of beating. At the end , its your personal preference on what your comfortable in driving. 5 speed pros: you are more in control, cons: if you doubt your skills in stick, avoid it...clutch issue. Auto pros: better for towing assuming you install trany cooler and oil cooler if you are towing having loads. Cons for auto: less control in snow, sand, and 4wheeling. All in all, its your call.

9. Sep 27, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    88 burban

88 burban [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    so what do you mean by more control in snow, sand, & 4wheeling???????

I have done a little with a standard about 10 years ago but I have been 4wheeling with a V8 automatice... and I feel great but I dont know if the hp/torqe difference between the V8 &V6 will make a difference..

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

10. Sep 28, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    88 burban

88 burban [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    WWWOOOWWW..... I am surprised that there wasn't more responses on this topic.....
    under the "what your towing" section there are thousands of responses and tons of people with pics including their info like; v6 TRD off-road or sport but not much on the transmission....... why is that???

So I am looking buying a used 2005 and newer but I want to know more of the pro's and con's of each auto and standard..... and the best way to find this out is from the drivers on this forum...... and on that note this is an awsome forum... great community

Help a brother out!!!

11. Sep 28, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    88 burban, The days of BIG differences in performance between automatic and manual transmissions are behind us. It is largely choice now.

12. Sep 28, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    I love my 6 Spd in the dirt, the only thing I see an issue with is shift at high speeds with the wheels broken loose. Very hard to get it into the next gear with the RPM hang and the wheels spinning with out making the truck jerk.

But i do love being able to select a gear for the terrain im in, Say im cruising thru a wash and need high RPM to keep me above the sand and not stuck, or keeping a selected gear going up a hill or mountain so im guaranteed control over the engine when i need to be.

13. Sep 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    I did burn thru a clutch fast but that was before I offroaded it at all, Ive been on 2 trips to the Mojave and hit atleast 15 miles of trails on my way to work almost everyday on my clutch of 1.5 years old and its holding strong

14. Sep 30, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    I've been using my Tacoma as a tow rig for my '87 4Runner for the last year now. I have th auto trans with a V6 and have had zero issues. The truck handles and hauls like a truck should. I have taken my truck off road a few times with good success considering the truck is open 2WD.

If you want easy to drive; go auto. If you don't mind shifting gears then a standard is fine. I grew up with a standard and have never had an issue with an auto vs standard thing. I find the auto while towing to be a nice feature; I have enough going on watching the trailer and idiots around me to not have to keep an ear on the motor to shift.

15. Oct 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    Lawson8408

Lawson8408 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Looking to buy
    N/A at this time
    Hey OP,
    Did you make a decision on what you want to do? I've only driven manual and am a little concerned about getting an automatic tranny. what have you been finding out???

16. Oct 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    The Auto is ok. I tow usually 5 days a week my 5x8 enclosed trailer loaded to roughly 2500lbs. The only issue is cruise control. Its completely useless at highway speeds it will constantly shift between 4th and 5th gear... I never use the cruise control when towing.

The nice thing with the auto on the 2nd gen is that you can manually downshift, which is useful when towing.

17. Oct 3, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    But a LOT more abuse on the transmission as a whole. Better to abuse a clutch than abuse a transmission. Clutch is cheap and relatively easy to replace.

18. Oct 3, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    2nd gen V6, Auto. I've only owned a couple autos, both of my trucks now are manuals, but I will echo the above. I love shifting gears but the 6 speed is pure failure IMO. Old trucks, manual all day every day. New = sad to say auto is superior

19. Oct 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    shemp

shemp Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think they've worked out all the usability problems in the *current* models, but the gear ratios truly suck on the 6-speed.

Products Discussed in

To Top