1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

automatic "slapshift"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeeezy, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Feb 6, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    jeeezy

jeeezy [OP] jeeezy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Timmins
    Vehicle:
    07 dbc long box speedway blue
    custom cold air intake 4 inch tubing, MBRP dual catback exhaust, readylift leveling kit with 265/75-17 on eagle alloy rims
    just wondering here but on the automatic gen 2s you can pretty much shift between gears obvs with no clutch, does it harm anything by doing this? my dealer recomended only for towing but i find ripping around town like that is fun and doesnt seem to be doing any harm to the truck

2. Feb 6, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    Gr8WhiteTaco

Gr8WhiteTaco bishes love my haircut

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    SOLD 02 Double Cab TRD 4x4
    2005 Mazda 3S hatchback
    Good question. Bump for an answer.

3. Feb 6, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    it hasnt done anything to mine it only lets you downshift if its safe and upshift whenever but thats why you have a rev limiter

4. Feb 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I do it sometimes when Im board, or driving in the hills. Ive done this with all my autos. They are designed to be able to be shifted manually, if you want, otherwise, they wouldnt give you the option to do so. FWIW, when I go into first gear at around 25 mph, I "blip" the throttle to get the revs up, and it shifts into first just fine. Otherwise, the computer wont let it go into first until around 15 mph.

5. Feb 6, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Most auto trannys either cut fuel, or back off the timming for up shifts, so full throttle up shifting isnt an issue. The guy that told you shifting under power was/is an idiot.

6. Feb 6, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    I use it all the time when goin up hills or down so I don't ride the brakes...or when I wanna pass up a car, just go to 4th and a lil more gas

7. Feb 6, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Use the shift gate as a guide. Positions that can be reached by straight pulls of the shifter are OK to do on the fly, i.e. D to 4, 4 to 3, etc. Easy manual shifting is the biggest advantage of a console-mounted shifter over a column shifter.

8. Feb 6, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I've heard alot of people say 'You're gonna screw up your tranny by doing that" Have yet to see proof. I don't do it as much in the taco as other vehicles, but sometimes If you want the power at a precise second, its good to be on the shifter, i.e. downshift instead of stepping on gas to induce a lower gear. Personally, I feel that, if at all, is much harder on the drivetrain then downshifting THEN stepping on the gas.

9. Feb 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    imtwistd

imtwistd Going nowhere as fast as possible

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab long bed sport 4x4 beast
    AllPro offroad front LT with Fox 2.5 shox and AllPro expedtion rear springs with Fox piggy back res shox, TRD skid plate, Toyota roof rack, Undercover tonnuea cover, Pro comp 3" lift, 4 Pro comp 8" offroad lights, 17" XD Series "SPY", Nfab tube steps and light bar, Fitch Fuel, Flexalite fan, Unichip, URD cai, TRD supercharger, URD y-pipe, Banks monster cat back, debadged, projection head lighs, LED tail lights and a loud stereo, Stainless Steel Brake Lines front and rear, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Walboro 255 fuel pump, KC rock guards on my Pro Comp 8" lights
    If I'm haulin ass and need to slow down quicker then using the brakes by themselves (engine braking). Works especially well on snowy roads.

10. Feb 6, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    That right there. My understanding is that this transmission is a ECT-i transmission, so the computer probably wont let you do any shifts that would damage the system.

11. Feb 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Correct. Try shifting into first gear at 20 miles an hour and you will notice the computer will not let a shift in the first until the speed gets to around 15 miles per hour.

12. Feb 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    jeeezy

jeeezy [OP] jeeezy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Timmins
    Vehicle:
    custom cold air intake 4 inch tubing, MBRP dual catback exhaust, readylift leveling kit with 265/75-17 on eagle alloy rims
    i have accidentaly shifted to first going at 20 or above and it went into first but the tires squawked and it slowed down so fast i almost hit the windshield, and no i dont always do that it was in the test drive that i took from the dealership haha

13. Feb 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Shoot, I slap shift from D to 4 and right back to D in two situations to override the computer.

1. The first is the situation where it downshifts to 4 on an uphill but won't go back into 5th until you level out for a good distance. Shifting to 4 and back to D manually forces it into 5th again. I have an uphill stretch where I sometimes need to downshift to gain speed (like someone got out of my way that was well under the speed limit), so I let it downshift and once I'm ready to cruise at 65 again I force it back to 5th gear.

2. The second is to cancel the engine braking. Last downhill on the way home is a 35 mph zone with a short steep downhill then it levels off and then goes downhill again. I have to hit the brakes on the first downhill and it always drops down a gear. As I hit the flat section, I hit it into 4 and back to D immediately which sets it to coasting again. That way I never have to apply gas on the flat section...now that I think about it, I never touch the gas for over half a mile on this stretch by doing this. Otherwise, I'd have to give it enough gas on the flat section for quite awhile before it'll upshift.

14. Feb 7, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    canyonchaser

canyonchaser Member Known Well

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    LR TRD PRO MT
    I only shift into D when I'm on the freeway, for any kind of city/rural driving I stay in "4". My buddy is a automatic transmission mechanic/genius and he's always given me good advice to get the most life out of my "slush-boxes".

"D" is basically an Overdrive, and the weakest gear in the transmission. It shouldn't be used when towing or when you are driving slower than 45-50mph.

You should be really careful when shifting from a forward gear to Reverse. This is where the majority of wear occurs to an automatic transmission. So I go to great lengths to avoid unnecessary D/R shifts, even to the point of parking where I can just "pull-through". You only have so many shifts in the life of an automatic transmission, so every time you put it into gear, you are using up one of those shifts. Parking and driving in a way that "saves shifts" will save your transmission. I also always leave it in Drive at take-away windows and what-not.

I also never shift into Drive (or fourth :) ) while the vehicle is still rolling backwards (or forwards as the case may be). I completely stop, shift, wait a second until everything engages, then I ease forward. I also won't romp onto the accelerator until the truck is already rolling to avoid any kind of "banging" on gears.

dp

15. Feb 7, 2011 at 5:37 PM
    jeeezy

jeeezy [OP] jeeezy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Timmins
    Vehicle:
    lol so driving it around slapshift-ing through gears would be a bad thing? sorry im trying to understand all of this transmission stuff here

16. Feb 7, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    This used to be the case in the 80's, but now days, the OD is strong. You can lug it along at 35, tow, whatever. The only thing thats gonna hurt it is going from a forward gear to reverse, "neutral drops", or neglecting general maint.

17. Feb 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Just dont drive it like an idiot, and you should be fine.

18. Feb 7, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    jeeezy

jeeezy [OP] jeeezy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Timmins
    Vehicle:
    oh ok thanks chris

19. Feb 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    Taco GTR

Taco GTR Valdosta State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Orrin
    Shadydale/ Valdosta
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma reg cab.
    Bone ass stock, 2nd air filter delete, JVC head unit, Alpine 600watt amp, JVC 1600 watt 12'' sub, Tractor Supply Company Toolbox, ALOT MORE TO COME.
    i drove my first gen like this. and my torque converter would get hot and not put power to the ground. but mine was a first gen with like 200,000 miles on it. :/

20. Feb 7, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    jeeezy

jeeezy [OP] jeeezy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Timmins
    Vehicle:
    would it sacrifice any power by doing it to the 2nd gens?

Products Discussed in

To Top