1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatic Trans downshift to brake dispute...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by claztacoma, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Feb 5, 2016 at 4:41 PM
    claztacoma

claztacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey who wants to give me an opinion on how much undue wear or whether it's down right harmful to an automatic transmission to manually downshift (AFTER SLOWING TO A RESPECTABLE SPEED) to allow the engine/trans to assist in braking?

I've done this to virtually all my vehicles in the past but I rarely kept a car for more than two years before selling it and moving on to another.

I can imagine that this practice puts more wear on the transmission's clutches and seals depending on several variables, i.e. load, temperature, speed to name a few.

Does anyone else out there downshift an auto-tranny to assist in braking regularly?

p.s. ...it seems that manufactures today build their cars and light pick-ups with a dual mode shift system, letting the driver choose an all automatic shift or one that the driver shifts up and down quasi-manually.

p.p.s. ...my Taco is a 2009, 2WD regular cab with the 4 cylinder, now approaching 60K miles

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    devkurf

devkurf Member at Large

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    I do it constantly. It gives me some of the feel of the manual I wish I had but the warden won't allow. When we first got married I tried to teach her to drive a manual on the farm truck on an empty gravel road, and it just wasn't ever going to happen. The training session ended when she said this is stupid and got out. :)

claztacoma[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:08 PM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    p.s. Won't hurt a thing on your Tacoma.

4. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:17 PM
    claztacoma

claztacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the replies, that's two for two on my side of this dispute. (... lol goes out to devkurf; "...the warden won't allow." ...)

5. Feb 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM
    WOODEX M.E.

WOODEX M.E. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD OR Pyrite Mica
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    I do it all the time. 67,000 miles and not a hiccup.

6. Feb 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    vram74

vram74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    Isn't there some sort of engine brake feature on Tacomas to make the trans downshift on a hill? quickly tapping the brakes or goosing the gas a bit?

7. Feb 5, 2016 at 6:37 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Fine

8. Feb 5, 2016 at 6:46 PM
    claztacoma

claztacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Well now it's unanimous with three for three in defense of my downshifting at appropriate speed junctures when braking as a regular habit, style or technique.

Thank each of you and keep your taco peppy...!

9. Feb 5, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    Most modern transmissions are electronically controlled so there's not much wrong you can do.

If you're talking about down shifting like when heading down a hill and not burning up your brakes, that's fine and the intended purpose.

If you're doing it in stop and go traffic on level terrain then it seems unnecessary. Get a manual transmission on your next car then.

10. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:12 PM
    kn61408

kn61408 Retired old fart

Member:
    western washington
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DCLB sport pyrite mica
    12v always on power point mod, tailgate anti-theft, Addl bed tiedowns, flyzeye dash lights, map lites with dome lite mod, bed stiffeners, air bags, brake controller, always on fog lights,
    I downshift in my 09 DCLB Prerunner V6 automatic when I'm in traffic to keep the tranny from "hunting". Gets rid of the surge as it's changing gears. Makes for a smoother go of stop-and-go traffic. I also downshift when on a hill in town. Makes it easier when coming to the stoplight.

11. Feb 5, 2016 at 7:14 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Was only a matter of time till somebody used that line

12. Feb 6, 2016 at 4:41 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, Speedhut TRD Boost Gauge, Speedhut TRD AFR Gauge, PLX Wideband Controller W/Bosch O2 Sensor, Cravenspeed Boost Pod, AFE Pro Dri II Si Intake, Calvert Racing Caltrac Traction Bars. URD Catback Exhaust, URD 2.825" Super Grip Pulley, URD Spec-U Equal Length Headers, URD 255lph Fuel Pump, OEM FPR Mod.
    Same here. You end up learning what it likes and what it doesn't. Its kinda fun.

13. Feb 6, 2016 at 4:59 AM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    I've been doing this since day one 8 years ago.

14. Feb 6, 2016 at 5:04 AM
    StevoNB

StevoNB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    How do you do this exactly? Just blip the throttle when it's between gears?

15. Feb 6, 2016 at 5:06 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Pretty much.

16. Feb 6, 2016 at 5:08 AM
    StevoNB

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Might have to try that with the gf's corolla sometime. Although I can't think of many situations when I would actual do it.

17. Feb 6, 2016 at 5:25 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    BasicalY its like a little game i play with only myself. Trying to downshift and see if i can make it as seamless as possible. Not really any other goal that i can think of. But thats me.

18. Feb 6, 2016 at 5:27 AM
    StevoNB

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Sounds like you should've got the 6 speed. Haha.

19. Feb 6, 2016 at 5:29 AM
    WOODEX M.E.

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Nah i had a manual in my last car, i change back and forth woth each vehicle. Plus the auomatic takes the brunt of the supercharger better in our trucks. I also drove one with a manual and did not like it at all.

20. Feb 6, 2016 at 6:02 AM
    StevoNB

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Yea, I can see that. I didn't like it at first, just had to get used to it. It wasn't bad, just different than my 2.7 5 speed. I found third gear kinda notchy, and still miss it once in a while. I hate autos though. For some reason I can't stand how you can't use WOT without initiating a downshift.

Products Discussed in

To Top