1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Automatic Transmission NOT SHIFTING from Parking

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mvega1969, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Apr 21, 2008 at 4:40 PM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.
    Does any one has experienced this problem?
    A series of unfortunate events:
    First AC did not worked, then once parked at home and several minutes after the truck does not shift from Parking, It does start and appears that everything works except for the A/C and the AT Shifting.

2. Apr 21, 2008 at 5:11 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    FOUND SOLUTION!, There is a 10A Fuse under the dash that has control apparently of both: AC Control push button and the Shift Knob, Why I do not really know... Solution was on a thread on TTORA... by TACODOC

The IG1 Fuse was blown (10 amp fuse located inside fuse box under dash).

Replaced fuse, problem solved!

3. Apr 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Glad you found a solution so quickly... and thanks for sharing it with us :D

4. Apr 21, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    SunnyG

SunnyG Member

Member:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport Silver
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport Silver
    I'd be curious as to what blew the fuse. You should probable carry a spare fuse in the truck in case it happens away from home!!! Good little bit of info to know in case mine does it!!!!

5. Apr 21, 2008 at 8:28 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Glad you found a quick fix.

On a previous vehicle of mine, I couldn't get the car to shift out of park. It may not be applicable to Tacomas, but my brake light switch was faulty. This was a switch located on the brake pedal that activated the brake lights. Apparently, to shift out of park, the brake lights actually needed to on and not just the brake depressed.

6. Apr 22, 2008 at 9:38 AM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    I did that, purchase a set of 40 different AMP fuses at Wal-Mart for a previous blown fuse, in this case was when installing a brake controller (30A) I did use temporarily a 10A from the underhood fuse box spares. But now a second fuse blown out was replaced directly from the new ones.

I still not have an idea of what happened.

7. Apr 22, 2008 at 4:20 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    One morning my wife was leaving for work in her Corolla. I heard the GD open and her car start but after a minute she hadn't pulled out.
    I went down to see what the problem was.
    She looks at me worried and says she can't get the car out of park.
    I look down and she doesn't have her foot on the brake pedal.
    I laughed and pointed it out to her.
    She's only been driving this car for 5 years and is only 45.
    BRAIN FART!:D

8. Apr 22, 2008 at 6:22 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Glad to hear you found the issue/fix, sounded pretty grim but my question is why did it go ? hmmm

9. Apr 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    haha like i do sometimes i dont put the car in park and im like why the hell will it not turn off then i notice it and think (im such a dumbass)

10. Apr 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    fixedforbroke

fixedforbroke Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Simons Island
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 White as Snow
    Stock the way god made her. (FOR NOW)
    thanks for sharing this easy fix with us. Now i know whats up if mine does this

11. Apr 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    mvega1969

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    You know what, I'm almost sure what is the cause of this problem... Does any one remember from where we are getting the power to light up the 4x4 dial? ... from the connector of the AC temperature knob. This appears to be the missing link. For those who did this mod, had anybody experiencing this problem (or other) ever?

Thanks,
    Regards.

12. Jun 1, 2010 at 12:11 AM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    Shift interlock. It has become standard on all cars as a safety standard. Check the magnetic clutch wire leading to the compressor. Possible short if they are on the same circuit. If it keeps blowing the fuse, unplug the compressor. If that does no solve the issue locate the compressor relay and replace it. Don't swicth it with another one. My friend did it with his car for his head lights and swapped it with the one next to it. Unfortunatly for him and me it was the fuel pump relay. Didn't tell me until we pulled the pump and checked. I called him worse than a dummy.

13. Jan 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    So to revive an old thread but had this problem just today. Weird combo of symptoms but got 'er home, checked out TW, found this thread, replaced the fuse, and good-to-go! :thumbsup:

14. Feb 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    hellah fresh

hellah fresh Member

Member:
    Im having this same issue but it seems all of the fuses are good in the hood and under the dash. IT wont shift out of park. We also had a spare shift lock ecu and tried to test it out with that one.. and still nothing. Am i missing somehing here?

EDIT: So we ran a wire to the connectors that plugs into the little white box which is im gussing the "shift control computer". When we ran power to it.. we was able to shift the gear out of park. When it is plugged into the box... it dont shift. We came to the conclusion that we have a bad shifter box? Because power is going into it but not coming out to release the shift gear. But we are still trying to see if thats 100% of the failure.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  15. Feb 26, 2013 at 4:34 AM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    Do you have any other symptoms like blinkers not working and the dash indicator lights for which gear your in not working?

16. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    hellah fresh

hellah fresh Member

Member:
    Dash lights all working normal. Blinkers working normal. Brake light works. I can shift it into any gear but it wont shift when im applying the brakes. I can drive it but i have to start it in the gear.

Products Discussed in

To Top