1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aux input mods

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tor9299, May 7, 2017.

1. May 7, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    Tor9299

Tor9299 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road PreRunner ACLB, V6, 5 speed auto, silver
    Greetings

Looking to install an aux input. I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYQKIPF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_OO9dzbKHWEZP3

Which looks straight forward, but it got me thinking. A few years ago I followed this tutorial to install an aux input on a Mazda6, which worked fantastic: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123778670-How-To-Make-an-AUX-input-for-FREE

Has anyone attempted a mod like this before? Or if not, does anyone know where I could find schematic diagrams for the Tacoma stereos to attempt one myself?

How about the Amazon kit? Anyone have one that can give an honest review?

Thanks!

TE

2. May 7, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    PapaBear

PapaBear Never test how deep the water is with both feet.

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB PR 4.0... Aaaand she’s GONE
    Soft Suspension Hard Rubber ®
    This is what I used to create an AUX on my Taco Radio, I would shy away from using the method that is on the Mazda website, this truck may be different than there's, use this: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/cheap-mod-diy-aux-input-in-a-2005-2008-factory-head-unit.161339/ This mod worked for alittle while but had static problems and would sometimes play from one side.
    I also can't suggest getting the aux plug adapter thing from Amazon, i've had it 3 months and now it only plays from the left speakers.
    Spend the money and find a newer radio from say a 2012-2015 with built in aux. If you want double din features, get a double din for backup camera other features such as touch screen. If I keep this truck, I had planned on doing a double din setup instead of sticking with a stock radio.

Tor9299[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. May 7, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    Tor9299

Tor9299 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PapaBear, Thanks for your reply.

I saw that too, but was under the impression that using that mod, or the other like it, would block access to the radio or CD player, respectively. Am I wrong, and you gain the aux input without losing any stereo features?

Thanks!

PapaBear likes this.
  4. May 7, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    It does not block sound when using the cd side. As long as nothing is plugged into your rigged aux plug, the cd player will work fine, the second you plug in anything, whatever device you are using will play over the radio instead of what is being played over the cd. People have created blank cd's that just continuously run without any sound actually being played and name them AUX because that would be the time you are using aux. I did have problems with connection but I think it was because of the cheap wire I used or the solder I used. The Amazon thing works differently, I guess our taco's came with the option for a secondary cd changer. That amazon plug plug's into the secondary cd players plug in the back of the radio. To switch between AUX and CD with that, you press the CD button. It will either say CD for the CD or CD 1 for the AUX. And your welcome! Welcome to TacomaWorld too!

Tor9299[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. May 7, 2017 at 8:07 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    Oh one more thing, when I did that rigged mod, I could not play music from a friends Android, only my Iphone worked. Don't know if others have had that problem or if it was just something that happened with me.

6. May 7, 2017 at 9:16 PM
    QChawks

QChawks Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport, IA
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DCLB
    I installed one on my old 06 Honda and it uses the satellite radio port, which I wasn't using, and it worked awesome!

However nowadays few people listen to CD's so I'm sure they would trade that for digital music.

PapaBear likes this.
  7. May 7, 2017 at 9:18 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    I'm one of those few, lol I only keep a few cd's on hand, the couple I know i will listen too and I actually take care of them.:D I've got Logic's new album special ordered and it should be coming any day now, I'll probably be rocking it for a month before I revert back to my Spotify.

8. May 8, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    Tor9299

Tor9299 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  9. May 25, 2017 at 4:26 PM
    honda50r

honda50r Not a Mallcrawler

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Buying a truck next week and driving it back home 15 hours. Need a quick fix and seems like the adaptor should be perfect. For further clarification I will also be able to play CDs if I want without un-installing the adaptor, right?

From what I have read the adaptor plugs into an empty slot in the back of the 2nd Gen Tacomas AKA 'CD 1'. Correct me if I am wrong

PapaBear[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. May 25, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    Tor9299

Tor9299 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Honda50r, I got this FM Bluetooth transmitter from Amazon. While I don't like that the display is hard to see with it positioned under the knob, the device works wonderfully with no buz or interference. Amazon had others that had good reviews as well.

FM Transmitter, QPAU Wireless Bluetooth Transmitter Car Kit Hand-free Radio Receiver W Dual USB Ports Support USB Flash Driver and Micro SD Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KJJP1TG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_yK2jzbVEGBT1S

PapaBear likes this.
  11. May 25, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    Holland4x4

Holland4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas Holland
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 AC LB
    First thing I did on my 2005 was install that very same aux, originally had it in my Toyota carolla for 6 months and then swapped it to my Tacoma. The device itself feels cheap but that's to be expected at that price, but it works excellent. The cord itself is pretty short so I bought an extension then fed the aux hidden behind the paneling and into my console, still have had 0 issues with it and the CD still works by pressing it twice to change to the CD's

Can take pictures if needed or pm me if you have any questions!

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    PapaBear likes this.
  12. May 25, 2017 at 11:10 PM
    PapaBear

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    SIN CITY
    Vehicle:
    ^These two are right on the money giving you multiple options, some prefer that bluetooth device, some prefer the plug, up to you. And yes, it does plug into an empty plug in the back of the radio, and it does display as CD 1. All you have to do is press the CD button to toggle between the two, CD and CD1, CD will allow you to play standard CD's while CD 1 will act as an AUX with the plugin. Seems its a 50/50 deal with these types of devices, as you've read I'm having problems after only 3 months. It's all up to you, if you need a quick fix for now, go ahead with the bluetooth or plug in option, if you can wait or can put aside the money, upgrade the radio, its worth it.

13. May 26, 2017 at 12:55 PM
    honda50r

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Precisely what I need to know! Certainly not a long-term fix (Taco Tunes seems like the way to go?). But this will be perfect for installing in the sellers driveway for the 15 hour drive back home

Loving the activity on this forum up to this point! Really looking forward to getting back into a quality forum. All the Land Rover forums have died off since values dropped. Quite the contrary with the Tacomas

PapaBear[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jul 3, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    honda50r

Member:
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Tacoma
    Not Stock
    Have been using the device for about a month and a half. The device now fades from one side to the other if I take a hard corner or there is excessive body roll. I got my $15 worth I suppose. I ended up buying an aftermarket head unit. But this was a nice temporary fix at least

Products Discussed in

To Top