1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Axel Wrap? Slave Cylinder? Transmission? or is it my Lockers.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by stephenmbakerwa, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mar 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    stephenmbakerwa

stephenmbakerwa [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 Taco
    Thanks for reading and helping if you have time. Once I get this thing figured out whoever gave me the most helpful comments and insights will get something - coffee, a set of lights, tools, etc... I'm not sure yet (there is your incentive :)

Here is the deal. (picture attached)

I own a 2000 SR5 Tacoma V6 4x4 manual, 2 piece drive line (after market locker... I think) that has bump/weight load shifting issue - I know its vague, stick with me though.

I am experiencing a "bump" when I load the drive line.
    Also when I turn around (tight circle) in a parking lot (to the left) the locker engages on-and-off, on-and-off, on-and-off, on-and-off, till I either straighten out or floor it causing it to lock out of anger and peeling out.

This problem has become worse over time i.e. the bump is getting harder.
    Note: the bump only occurs when loading the drive line.

My investigation has led me to just start throwing money at it.
    • I reviewed the pinion bearing (good)
    • Replaced both the front and aft u-joints (now good)
    • Replaced the clutch (don't ask)
    There is little to no play in the carrier bearing, BUT when loading the drive line, the it shifts (vertically in the carrier bearing carriage -up to be exact).

I am completely stumped and so are the people I have taken it to. (leave that to Spokane).

This is what I have heard and I need your opinion and advise to help me think/work through this.

1st Guy: Does it bump as hard in four wheel drive?
    Me: Nope, in fact it doesn't do it at all.

2nd Guy: Does it hit harder when you reverse - brake - shift into first - and move forward?
    Me: YES Twice as hard.
    2nd Guy: I think you have chain play in your transfer case.

3rd Guy: Toyota Transfer cases are bullet proof.

Here are some of my thoughts:
    1. I am new to the locker world and they apparently blow to drive.
    2. My transmission mounts or engine mounts are failing.
    3. I am experiencing some sort of axel wrap do to an issue in the rear end.
    4. I notice this evening when doing more research there is an oily substance coming from a top the transmission? No idea.

5. Writing this post is just making me frustrated about the issue and the money I have spent.

Please advise

- Puzzled and Perplexed Taco Owner

380542_10150361906906114_510856113_8712438_1670201566_n.jpg

2. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Ok lets start with simple question...
    Do you know what locker you have? It sounds like Lockright?

3. Mar 14, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    stephenmbakerwa

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 Taco
    The locker was installed by the previous owner from the guy I bought the truck from. A transmission tech in Seattle thought it may be a Dyna. Anyway for me to check with out tearing it apart?

4. Mar 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM
    stephenmbakerwa

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Spokane
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 Taco
    I estimated I had axle wrap after researching more and more.

Easy fix (at least for now), I placed two C-clamps on either side of both leaf springs. Definitely tightened up the rear-end and got rid of some of the flexing in the bumping, i.e. the bump does hit as hard.

Now the sound and the mechanical click, thud* - happens when I depress the clutch pedel and let it out. So I feel as though I have eliminated the rear axel. I also check the carrier bearing again and it seems to have little vertical flex, meaning the flex I was witness visually was from what I did not understand as axel wrap...

Now to the clutch clunk and thud. Is this depression of the clutch followed by the release and engaging thud the sign of a failing master cylinder or slave cylinder? I am ruling out the clutch and fly wheel because they replaced no more than a week ago.

Please help.

Thanks,

5. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    noSKills858

noSKills858 battlescars

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Poway, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 5-lug Prerunner
    Couple shocks, some old tires, and a bad paint job
    Put it in 2wd have have the rear end on jack stands (tires removed) and try making it clunk and listen where it is coming from.

It's really hard to diagnose the problem because of how many variables it could be, but best bet is to jack it up and try to get it to make a noise.

Edit: My old locker (Detroit) would make an obvious noise of it engaging and disengaging, can you record the noise too possibly?

6. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Sounds like it may be a bad transmission mount. Do you have the bump when you push the clutch in to shift gear (ex. 2nd to 3rd)?

7. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    What does the transmission mount look like? Is the bushing look shot?

8. Mar 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    use caution when doing this I cannot be held responsible if you hurt yourself

1. find some level pavement park truck on said spot
    2. chock both front wheels fore and aft but not tight to the wheels (so you have a little wiggle room)
    3. put trans in "N" slide under truck but not too close to rear wheels and grab dshaft between slip yoke and pinion
    4. twist back & forth see if you can hear the noise
    5. now try in gear 1 thru 5 & r

if its in drvline you should hear or eliminate

Products Discussed in

To Top