1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

axle removal help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by das56170, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    das56170

das56170 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 SR5 (sold), 2002 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 SR5, TRD Offoad
    Tacoma - Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, volant cold air intake, 3" lift with AAL, 285/75 r 16 pro comp xterrains, 1" differential drop, spare tire mod, hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, debadged
    I'm replacing my driver side front axle. I'm having a hard time getting the inner CV disconnected from the differential. I've read other posts that say to use a pry bar to pop it out, and the guy at the auto parts store said the same thing. I've been trying with a 12" pry bar with no luck. Am I doing something wrong, or should I just go out and get a bigger pry bar?

Thanks.

2. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Bigger pry bar
    1 foot is not a lot of leverage

3. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    das56170

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4X4 SR5 (sold), 2002 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 SR5, TRD Offoad
    Tacoma - Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, volant cold air intake, 3" lift with AAL, 285/75 r 16 pro comp xterrains, 1" differential drop, spare tire mod, hypertech in-line speedometer calibrator, debadged
    Thanks, I'm gonna go buy one tonight. You think 2' should do the job? I don't want to get one too big, and then not have enough room to maneuver it around.

4. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes, that should do it

5. Mar 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    das56170

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Finally got the axle out of the front diff. Now I'm having a lot of trouble getting the new axle into the diff. It goes in and stops about an inch away from being fully seated. I've been wrestling with it for a couple of hours.

Anyone have any tricks or advice to seat the axle in the front diff

6. Mar 29, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    First off ya shouldn't have used a pry bar to get it out, you coulda damaged something like the diff oil seal. You should have a little C ring on the portion of the axle that you are trying to insert in the diff. Make sure that it is in the downward pointing position to get it past the locking point. Just push with some force and it'll pop in.

7. Mar 29, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    das56170

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    I must be doing something wrong then. I've been trying for a while and it's not cooperating. I'll give it another try tomorrow.

8. Mar 29, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    stick the nut on the end of the shaft and give it some taps with a hammer.

9. Mar 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    n0rth

n0rth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL
    X2, I use this method with a tall wood block (2ft long 4x4) and a strap or belt to support the middle section of the CV off of the upper control arm. Set the block standing upright so you don't have to hold it one hand to swing the hammer the other to steady the CV and the strap to support the weight. Should go right in when the c-clips are new they can be a pain and figured this out while doing one by myself most of the time they go right in without a whole lot work but every once in a while you will get one that is a PIA.

10. Mar 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    Disorderly

Disorderly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Couldn't hurt to add some dif lube to the c-clip.

11. Mar 30, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

Don't hit the shaft with a hammer. This is bad advice. Hammers are hardened steel and those shafts are softer. If you hit it with a hammer it will turn the round shaft into an oval. Wood block and a hammer, good. Lubing clip, good. My advice. Take a look at the clip. All that pushing and hammering may have expanded it somewhat, so you can see if you can give it a lil squeeze with a pair of needle noze's, just be extremely careful not to damage the splines on the shaft. Next put some of the diff fluid you're gonna use on the clip and the splines as stated above. Then when inserting make sure that the C clip is facing down. That means the ends are down or the open part to clear any confusion. Try just pushing it in, I've never had trouble like this but it is possible. If pushing it in to the stop point and then giving it a thrust doesn't get it to go then the hammer and wood block is a good idea. Get the axle as strait as possible. It is easier to have a second person holing the shaft strait than using anything to prop it. Put the wood block on the threaded end of the axle and hit the wood with a hammer. That should do the trick. For future reference when removing these shafts, do not use a pry bar. Instead you need a brass drift, which is like a chisel or punch made of brass so that it won't hurt any other metals. Use the brass drift with a hammer to tap the axle out. If you have any other probs let me know.

12. Mar 30, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    das56170

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    Well, that was a bitch. Finally got it done. Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.

13. Mar 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM
    blackbox

blackbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4cyl 5mt 4x4 Pyrite
    I changed a drive axle on a Honda Accord one time, driver side had a fixed shaft coming from the differential, and the drive axle was fastened as usual into the shaft. I could not get the axle out of the shaft, no prying, no hammering, no beating would get it out. Finally I just took the shaft off, had to spend an extra $200 to replace it, put it in a vise and whaled the hell out of it until it finally came apart. Tore the shaft up good, c-clip on the axle was all mangled. Sometimes these things just will not come apart, or go together, I guess. I had mini-nightmares for awhile about what I would have done if the axle had been stuck in the differential that way. Anyone ever had that problem?

14. Mar 31, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    blackbox

blackbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 reg cab 4cyl 5mt 4x4 Pyrite
    I mean, the OP had that problem, I'm talking about the axle will not come out no matter what, pry bar, using a chisel as a wedge, hammering on anything on the axle that you can get a hammer on, etc., it is stuck basically permanently, that is the problem I am asking if anyone has encountered.

Products Discussed in

To Top