1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AZ Vehicle Title Question

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by weiln, May 31, 2018.

1. May 31, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    weiln

weiln [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Cooper 285/75R16 AT3
    Question for AZ folks. I'm moving down in about a week, and have a question about vehicle titles. I've had a problem getting a vehicle titled in my name here in Idaho and was curious what my chances would be in AZ.

My grandpa gave me his 70's Honda Super Cub "motorcycle" before he passed, and I have the signed title. However, Idaho will not let me get the vehicle titled to me or registered without additional signed paperwork showing he gave it to me, why, and the value of the Cub. Well, I can't get that since he's passed.

I'm curious if I will have any issues getting the vehicle titled in my name in AZ. It was my understanding when I lived there previously that if I have a signed title, that's all I needed. But my experience in Idaho has me wondering.

I'm hoping to get the Cub titled and then sell it to someone who will use it since I don't ride motorcycles and don't really have a desire to.

2. May 31, 2018 at 1:56 PM
    RPS1030

RPS1030 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First, what state is the existing title from and what are the "Notarized Requirements" of that state. AZ titles have to be notarized. But there are various forms to fix if not notarized.

Second, start with going to a 3rd Party DMV office. I have one I recommend in north Phoenix, but there are almost as many as there are Starbucks here. Often much more helpful and flexible, with shorter lines for a small fee.

3. May 31, 2018 at 2:05 PM
    weiln

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Cooper 285/75R16 AT3
    The current title is from Colorado. Not sure what the notary requirements are, but Idaho didn't blink about the title. I have it at home, but I do believe the signature is notarized. Idaho taxes vehicles, and without having "sale" paperwork they need other signed paperwork stating that it was given willingly, not for work performed, etc. I just can't get that since he's passed. I never used any of the 3rd party DMV facilities, but if you have one you recommend I'd love that. I'm just hoping it's easier to get done in AZ than here so I can bring it with me and get rid of it.

4. May 31, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    RPS1030

RPS1030 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On the tax point, AZ uses their own book values to tax it.

My recommended go to location:
    Az Title & Registrations
    301 W Deer Valley Rd Suite 10, Phoenix, AZ 85027
    (623) 582-1443
    https://goo.gl/maps/oqQzuZ4VooQ2

5. May 31, 2018 at 2:10 PM
    weiln

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Cooper 285/75R16 AT3
    I know right where that is. I grew up in Deer Valley and lived around there for 15 years. That emissions station is much closer to where I lived than the previous one I used down on Bell. I cannot wait to get back...

I'll check them out once I'm down there and see if I can get this taken care of, thanks!

Enjoihavok and RPS1030 like this.
  6. Jun 2, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    AZ doesn't do taxes on the private sale of vehicle. So they don't care about anything other than the title. If it is signed properly for the state that issued it, AZ will take it. AZ will use it's own books to determine value for registration.

I like the 3rd party place at 35th Ave and Cactus, NorthWest corner, they have taken really good care of me on several occasions.

Products Discussed in

To Top